Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wireless router dropping wireless connections

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    My wireless router suddenly started dropping wireless connections.
    The laptop, iphones, etc. will all report normal signal strength (usually 3/4 bars) but just won't be able to connect to the internet or network, then it will come back for a short time and drop back out again.
    I tried changing the channel and moving the router around, as well as twisting the antenna to different directions, but that hasn't helped.
    Any ideas?

DLink wbr-1310

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    This is going to sound completely retarded, but I assume you have tried restarting it?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Definitely tried that a few times.

Now maybe my testing methods aren't that reliable.
    Lets just ignore the iphones, since they seemed to lose their connection even before all of this started to happen.
    Looking at just the laptop, in Windows7 it seems to get a connection for a max of 15 seconds before it stops working, while in Linux running from a USB stick I haven't seen it drop the connection yet...

Back in Windows I've tried disabling and re-enabling the wireless adapter. I tried downgrading the driver, upgraded it, tried microsoft's driver. I tried disabling eset smart security internet filter, uninstalling eset smart security altogether, restarting several times, safe mode, etc. and nothing has helped.
    Last edited by tesco; 01-07-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I've experienced an issue like this before, and was fortunately able to fix it. The only problem is that I've experienced a bunch of different issues and I'm not sure which solutions worked for which problems. So, regurgitating any previous fixes would probably be of little use...

But the fundamental root of your problem would make me think that you have a lot of electromagnetic noise going on in your environment. Specifying the wireless protocol (e.g. use G only instead of B/G, or B/G instead of A/G or A/B/G), playing with wide/narrow (probably doesn't apply to your model), trying different channels (e.g. 1, 6, 9, or 11).

Since you've always seemed to have had issues with other devices, my guess is that your router was not already optimized for your environment. The thing about USB sticks is that they seem to work exceptionally well (faster, more reliable, especially when you brand match with the router). The WiFi chipsets internal to laptops are always mediocre, I have never met one that impressed me.

Fortunately for me, I haven't had wireless issues in over a year, which is about how long I've had my WRT 610N. It's the first wireless router that has impressed me with both its performance and lack of issues... EVER.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    moving the router around, as well as twisting the antenna to different directions, but that hasn't helped.
    Any ideas?
    That's me out...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I'd comment further but it would obviously be like trying to reason with a dung beetle.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Specifying the wireless protocol (e.g. use G only instead of B/G, or B/G instead of A/G or A/B/G), playing with wide/narrow (probably doesn't apply to your model)
    Is that router side or laptop side?

Also, I'm noticing the issue still in Linux, though it doesn't seem to happen as often or for as long. It's probably just a quirk with windows that's making the issue more exaggerated.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    It could be interference, I encountered this recently when I switched to BT broadband. In my case the new shiny BT hub (complete with their wonderful shiny "smart wireless" technology) completely fucked up the 2.4GHz frequency in my house. turning off the wireless in their router restored everything back to normal.

It could be that one of your neighbours has brought a new bit of kit with wireless in it and that has saturated the 2.4GHz frequency, ask your neighbours if they've got any new wireless kit, or microwaves. Yes microwave ovens can completely fuck up the 2.4GHz frequency range as well.

Try switching the router to a different wireless channel, Virgin Broadband had a similar problem with their broadband unlimited modems, there was meant to be an autosensing feature which detected channel congestion and which automaticaly switched channels. It didn't work, so all their modems automatically selected the same channel, and saturated the frequency, and all their users were getting speeds of about 3kb/s on their superfast connections. Manually setting the channel to a different setting made that problem vanish.
    Last edited by NotLettingItGo; 01-07-2012 at 09:29 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Specifying the wireless protocol (e.g. use G only instead of B/G, or B/G instead of A/G or A/B/G), playing with wide/narrow (probably doesn't apply to your model)
    Is that router side or laptop side?

Also, I'm noticing the issue still in Linux, though it doesn't seem to happen as often or for as long. It's probably just a quirk with windows that's making the issue more exaggerated.
    Router side. There's usually very little control you have on hardware behavior for the device side. But if you get things working more smoothly with the router, only then would I recommend tinkering around in the Advanced Tab of the hardware in Device Manager. The whole concept there is to make the WiFi communication broad enough to communicate with all your devices, but specific enough to ignore EM noise around the same frequency. That's the point of designating bandwidth, specifying protocol, etc.

My memory of DLink configuration is distant, so I can't really point you in any direction there. As reject had mentioned, any newer modem from an ISP is usually a shitty wireless router, so if you have one of those running, disable the wireless if you can. I had one from Verizon before and I remember just removing the 3 antennas from it made a world of difference (since it wouldn't let me disable wireless broadcast).

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    After setting "802.11g-only mode" in the router I was able to get a constant connection, no drops, up to 20ft away from the router. Unfortunately my sister's room (where the laptop is used most) is more than that.
    How do I figure out if it's a noise issue. I've tried changing the channel many times with no difference.

The idea of a neighbour recently adding a wireless router is a good one, especially since Christmas just passed (somebody might have got a new smartphone or laptop and decided to add a wireless router).

Also keep in mind that at the point where the laptop would lose connection, it would still claim to have a signal strength of 3 out of 4 bars. Also, at that point and beyond my iphone still connects to the wifi just fine.

I'm tempted to just buy a cheapo wireless USB dongle, for testing purposes at least.
    Any idea if one of these little guys http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16833315091 will get the range I need (from router in basement to top floor)?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    In that case I'm definitely thinking it's a wireless interference issue. By the way, you already have a wireless USB stick from what you said, why not just test that one with your laptop? Also, since you've somewhat stabilized the issue, try going to Device Manager --> Wireless Adapter Properties --> Advanced Tab --> and set that to Wireless G only if the option is available.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast