Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: A Gnu Noicer Lounge...

Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    when you're not wanking and getting under our feet
    i heard you have blokes doing both at once, like.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

2. Lounge   -   #62
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post
    A woman who can handle mice on her own?

So seriously, what are you doing? Enzyme insertions? Disease inductions? Genetic characterization?
    Well I tried doing it while standing on a chair, holding my skirts and clutching a rolling pin but my boss said I was upsetting the other scientists.

I work in a service lab, so the purpose varies. It can range through promotor bashing (to work out how genes are regulated by other genes), or following the expression of genes, creating more human-like mouse models for disease, or studying gene function by knocking them out. I'm a technician so I do the hocus pocus part to make it all come together, but the scientists give me their stem cells or DNA vectors already engineered. I also introduce new techniques. I recently got to go to Miami to present a protocol I devised for vitrification of mouse ooctyes and preimplantation stage embryos, and I'm currently in the later stages of introducing Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) as a service my section provides - it's a form of assisted reproduction, which is really useful for our scientists who are studying sex determination and keep making mice with funky sperm that don't work.
    Mice don't go experimenting on you so I think it's not really cricket( strange English phrase about orthoptera or Buddy Holly's backup band or something) to go experimenting on them.
    If you need subjects to experiment on why can't you just empty the jails or mental institutions or those clubs where they play that electronic music crap?It's not like those people aren't basically asking for it.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Lounge   -   #63
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Mice don't go experimenting on you so I think it's not really cricket( strange English phrase about orthoptera or Buddy Holly's backup band or something) to go experimenting on them.
    If you need subjects to experiment on why can't you just empty the jails or mental institutions or those clubs where they play that electronic music crap?It's not like those people aren't basically asking for it.
    What a strange moral position to occupy.
    On a purely practical basis
    1) Humans are all different, which doesn't help researchers much
    2) We can't get enough of them
    3) Breeding them would be difficult
    4) The gestation and lifespan are too long
    5) It would cost too much

On an ethical basis, obviously I won't insult your intelligence with an explanation.

4. Lounge   -   #64
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    - it's a form of assisted reproduction
    Mouse rapist.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Lounge   -   #65
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo View Post
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #66
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    - it's a form of assisted reproduction
    Mouse rapist.
    Don't you start. All my friends insist I rape bunnies for a living. I don't even work with bunnies!
    Last edited by Squeamous; 02-29-2012 at 10:41 PM.

7. Lounge   -   #67
    manker's Avatar effendi
    So how'd you get from botany to messing with mice.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

8. Lounge   -   #68
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    You remember that far back? Witch.
    I did plant science at uni thinking it would get me onto the Kew Gardens horticulture diploma course, but when I left I was drastically over qualified. I got a job as a science technician in a school, then saw my current job advertised in New Scientist. Really landed on my feet with it and now I can't imagine working anywhere else. The job sort of grew around me like the toilet seat on that fat American bitch whose corpse they had to cut off one a few years back.

9. Lounge   -   #69
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I did plant science at uni thinking it would get me onto the Kew Gardens horticulture diploma course, but when I left I was drastically over qualified. I got a job as a science technician in a school, then saw my current job advertised in New Scientist. Really landed on my feet with it and now I can't imagine working anywhere else. The job sort of grew around me like the toilet seat on that fat American bitch whose corpse they had to cut off one a few years back.
    As similes go, that's pretty fucking impressive. And it made me think of gep.
    Double win

10. Lounge   -   #70

As similes go, that's pretty fucking impressive. And it made me think of gep.
    Double win
    It was my pleasure x
    Last edited by Squeamous; 02-29-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: (I knew you'd find that more interesting than my job history)

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast