Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

Just tried to install a new processor onto the motherboard of an older computer (running XP home). Couldn't actually get the old chip out, so put it back together and now Windows will not boot at all. I have tried to re-install windows from the original cd, but it gets so far and tells me that vga.sys is corrupt. As far as I know there was no damage done to anything, so any ideas how I fix this problem?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    First of all it doesn't sound too good that you couldn't get the old chip out.

The VGA file pertains to your video drivers, I don't know how these may have been corrupted.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    That did concern me too. Are files such as vga.sys stored on the hard disc, or are they stored as part of the bios on the motherboard? Because it is possible that a magnetised screwdriver was used to remove the cpu cooling fan and may have come into contact with one or the other. If it is the case (and I just checked- the screwdriver IS bloody magnetic) what bits are going to need replacing?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Magnetic screwdriver?

Tsk,tsk.

Maybe you could clear your CMOS and retry booting into Windows.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    When you tried to remove the CPU, what was the problem? Did you lift the release leaver?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I know. Not clever. Thank god it wasn't my new system. Ok, how do I clear the CMOS? I can't get past the "windows didn't load, try one of these options" screen. I've tried holding (and tapping) f1, f2, f3, f4 and f12 after turning the power on and i'm getting nothing. And cheers for helping here mate, it's appreciated.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody 1234, there wasn't a release lever- the pic on your post doesn't resemble the board. From top to bottom it goes: cpu fan, heat sink, chip, board. There's no white plastic surround like on your picture, and no release lever. I've had chips out of other boards before, so this came as a bit of a surprise. I have a nasty suspicion the chip is glued on.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    What board and CPU is it?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    How is the heatsink fastened down if there is not a white plastic surround like in the picture? What does it clip into?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    AMD Duron 1.2 GHz, K7SEM motherboard. It appears to be plugged directly into the board itself. Clever eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast