Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISP monitoring and 6 strikes on the way!

should i get a Vpn just to be safe like Ipreadtor and i still have astraweb
    Last edited by sonic1; 03-15-2012 at 08:57 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    The reporting is really bad and inconsistent on this issue. Some articles seem to inffer that ISPs will be actively monitoring users, while others seem to make it sound like that isn't the case. I'm guessing that this is just all the ISPs trying to make how they handle DMCA complaints the same across the board.

Actively monitoring users would void their common carrier safe harbor status under DMCA and would open them up to liability. I really doubt that they're going to do open themselves up to liability.

§ 512(c) has specific provisions for an online company to be a safe harbor and not be liable for infringing content on their network...

(c) Information Residing on Systems or Networks At Direction of Users.—
    (1) In general.— A service provider shall not be liable for monetary relief, or, except as provided in subsection (j), for injunctive or other equitable relief, for infringement of copyright by reason of the storage at the direction of a user of material that resides on a system or network controlled or operated by or for the service provider, if the service provider—
    (A)
    (i) does not have actual knowledge that the material or an activity using the material on the system or network is infringing;
    (ii) in the absence of such actual knowledge, is not aware of facts or circumstances from which infringing activity is apparent; or
    (iii) upon obtaining such knowledge or awareness, acts expeditiously to remove, or disable access to, the material;
    (B) does not receive a financial benefit directly attributable to the infringing activity, in a case in which the service provider has the right and ability to control such activity; and
    (C) upon notification of claimed infringement as described in paragraph (3), responds expeditiously to remove, or disable access to, the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity.
    Last edited by cola; 03-16-2012 at 10:19 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    do you guys think irc downloads will be safe?

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    You only get a DMCA takedown for sharing, not downloading.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    If you just download, it is hard to get nailed. Also it is more lucrative to go after distributors (uploaders).
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12