Thread: A couple of newbie questions (How it works + VPN)

AlphaWolf
    Hi,
    I looked through a couple of guides and still had some questions. I hope they've not already been answered!
    I'm looking at moving from torrents to Usenet, but I'm a little hesitant because of the cost right now, so I have a few questions.
    I'm not a "big" downloader, but I'm thinking it's hardly to be "done" or "caught" using usenet. I know most ISPs (I'm in the UK) don't do anything about torrent users, unless they are asked by a copyright holder. However, I'm moving the University (a bit stricter), and I think they'll throttle this a bit etc. Also, I'm assuming no copyright holder can know I've gotten a hold of their stuff (not like if I leached it to them)
    How does Usenet "work"? I've got a general idea, but if I sign up for one provider, will I be getting different stuff compared to another? I know about bandwidth/retention, but I'm talking about the available files, how do they differ?
    How do files get uploaded to Usenet? Can anyone with a Usenet account somehow upload to Usenet? How is this done?
    If I get a VPN (I want one in general), do I need one that supports P2P? I'm 99% sure I don't do any uploading, but they might class this as too many active connection!? I'm going by the list on torrentfreak.com, and I'm not sure which to go with, any recommendations?
    Thanks for any replies.
    EDIT: I've started using Sick Beard with SABnzbd with a free Usenet provider (just to try it out), and I have 1 quick question about it. How can I get it to download, unrar and then process the file in Sick Beard? It's downloaded for me, but all it has done is put it in he downloads/completed folder in its RAR form. I'm guessing I need to use +unpack? Do these add on to each other? So +delete with download > repair > unpack > delete.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 03-17-2012 at 09:56 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Wall of text. A Usenet subscription is pretty cheap. Most are less than $10/month or various prices for a block account. I personally pay $5.50/month unlimited at thecubenet with a block account from blocksnews. How much do you download monthly?

This site should answer most of your questions: http://www.newsgroupservers.net/.

You don't need a VPN for Usenet cause you're downloading from the Usenet server. SSL helps you feel more secure. But if someone really tried they can figure out what you're downloading.

I havn't used SABnzbd but Newzleecher (with quickpar) is a paid reader and it repairs, extracts, and deletes rars automatically.

Most of the issues with Usenet are due to DMCA takedowns, which causes some articles (pieces of a rar) to be removed, thus making it harder to extract. A block account solves this problem. Usenet is a lot safer than torrents because you're not uploading.

You can contact the support on some of the Usenet providers for a free trial account. Thecubenet does this.