Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Does This Ability Require Normal or Above Average Intelligence?

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Manker didn't do it in such a pathetically needy way.
    There are also long posts by Cicero and Darth Squeamous. I didn't read them to figure out which one you were talking about. You need to vet out the whole thread a little more before you write a review, otherwise over-thinkers like myself will spin like tops until I ricochet off in some odd direction upon hitting a barrier.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #132
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'd not read that until you quoted it. He could mean mine I suppose, if he's shit at subtext, as well as bad at chronology

Watebar, rly.

3. Lounge   -   #133
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    I'd not read that until you quoted it. He could mean mine I suppose, if he's shit at subtext, as well as bad at chronology

Watebar, rly.
    Yet another mistake by me, I didn't scroll up far enough to see yours Darth Snee.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Lounge   -   #134
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chavis View Post
    Let me just break it to the downs, Darthy.

In a roundabout fashion, he's intimating that despite your grandstanding, you're ultimately an exceptionally boring kinda guy.
    I don't think he's boring, I think he probably does tend to lean back with his eyes closed when he talks though, so you can count every single one of his nostril hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    I don't recall my parents ever mentioning the bible, in fact the realisation that the bible wasn't just a ridiculous piece of literature and that Jesus was a real chap with some good ideas only became apparent to me at about 23 or 24.

So. This is how I think it could work:

Brands are everything and like it or not, the church is a powerful brand which inspires trust in many people. No other charitable organisation is in a position to do as much good as the church is if only it was properly run.

I wouldn't have any problem at all with them continuing their sermons and offering spiritual advice to those that felt they needed it but how it could really fit in is if the spiritual side of it married properly with pragmatic assistance of a tangible sort to victims of our advanced society.
    If the church branched out properly and provided, for example, rehabilitation for drug addicts or near to free childcare for single parents between nine and five or solace for battered wives or temporary accommodation for the homeless on a large scale, then it could positively and enormously benefit the community and the economy.

To do this its objectives would have to change considerably. It would have to be properly administered and it would need to report and be accountable to the local council initially and Downing Street as a national entity. I envisage tax payers partially funding these schemes after several years of managing to be self-sufficient. Due to it already being completely trusted as an entity by so many, the lion's share of the funding would come from a suggested donation level in return for use of its services. Some would abuse this but most would see the good it's doing and temper their financial reciprocation accordingly.

I could definitely write loads, but that would be akin to anaesthesia.
    Suffice is to say that the church has the potential to be a veritable benevolent behemoth that would fit quite nicely into an advanced society and help sticking-plaster many of its inevitable wounds.
    No, this is just awful! The church can't be wheedled into coming around to a secular way of doing things while still maintaining its dogma. Once it does that it stops being what it once was. It can't even be prevailed upon to accept the relationships of people who love each other (and to be honest neither should it), let alone being a benevolent force for good. It is absolutely incompatible with the future of humanity. It needs to be taken out back, have its ears hacked off and fucking shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    There are also long posts by Cicero and Darth Squeamous. I didn't read them to figure out which one you were talking about. You need to vet out the whole thread a little more before you write a review, otherwise over-thinkers like myself will spin like tops until I ricochet off in some odd direction upon hitting a barrier.

5. Lounge   -   #135
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeams
    Once it does that it stops being what it once was
    Derp.

I'm the man to do this, I've got the skillz, i've thought it thro' for a wee while and I'm taking on new clients. I'd give them a stark choice; fitting in or fucking off.
    Would have to stop posting here so much though, probably.
    Last edited by manker; 03-23-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeams
    Once it does that it stops being what it once was
    Derp.

I'm the man to do this, I've got the skillz, i've thought it thro' for a wee while and I'm taking on new clients. I'd give them a stark choice; fitting in or fucking off.
    Would have to stop posting here so much though, probably.
    I prefer to impose distinctions and boundaries to make decisive, logical decisions.

You're more flexible and prefer to dance in the grey areas.

We might agree on general principles but we'll never be able to agree on topics like this.

7. Lounge   -   #137
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Maybe you could meet in the middle.

Let's call it the ecru areas.

8. Lounge   -   #138
    manker's Avatar effendi

I would, I'd meet in the middle and compromise the fuck out of my ideals because it's the only way to get stuff done.
    Who cares if people still revere magic if it means that the aids babies of Lincolnshire can get their weaning methadone fix.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Lounge   -   #139
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Idol is girly with an amazingly strong wrist
    I had to exercise my wrist because it was previously so limp I had difficulty using cutlery.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Lounge   -   #140
    I'm afraid ecru isn't really my colour

I would, I'd meet in the middle and compromise the fuck out of my ideals because it's the only way to get stuff done.
    Who cares if people still revere magic if it means that the aids babies of Lincolnshire can get their weaning methadone fix.
    The biggest single contributor to world health is Bill Gates. As far as I know his foundation has no religious affiliations. Mother Theresa was of the opinion that poverty and suffering was godly in itself, except of course when it came to her own suffering.
    Organised religion is sick and perverse. It's an illness the world needs to be cured of not given palliative care until it croaks.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast