Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Does This Ability Require Normal or Above Average Intelligence?

anigav's Avatar Dicks-lexic
    Last edited by anigav; 03-20-2012 at 12:16 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysic View Post
    Hello,

Recently out of curiosity I've learned pi to 120 digits and how to solve a rubik's cube (can solve it in ~50 seconds), and after seeing this video (the same girl was elected to go on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to broadcast her ability) attempted to put them together but with an additional component, that being multiplying double digits numbers by single digit numbers (such as 97*8). So as I'm reciting 100 digit strings of pi consecutively, each in 15 second speed intervals, and solving the rubik's cube, I'm multiplying double digit numbers by single digit numbers. So, in theory, completing three mental tasks simultaneously. My question is: do you think being able to do this requires above average intelligence or do you think anyone of normal intelligence can do it? Most of the people commenting on the video I mentioned in which the girl balances books on her head while solving a rubik's cube and reciting pi to 100 digits claim that the girl possesses some kind of extraordinary talent, and being that she was selected to go on The Ellen Degenres Show it seems like it might be worth of some recognition. What do you think?
    I think that post requires below normal intelligence to be taken seriously. Don't really give a shit about the rest, other than that even my wastrel of a little brother is still way more clever than you and he learned how to do it (faster, and with more digits/decimals in pi) just to annoy people at parties or something.

Also, he doesn't watch Ellen.

Actually, that last bit is really the only evidence needed of his superiority.
    Last edited by Snee; 03-20-2012 at 09:09 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    On the contrary, you have presented words. These words objectify you to your audience.
    You truly would not exist in their world if you hadn't done so but now this is irrevocable.

These self-same words are the only way in which the reader can make judgements upon you.
    For example, I used the sum total of inferences gleaned from your carefully considered prose and came to the conclusion that you were seeking external validation.

Which is quite sweet, in a way.
    Don't tell me you didn't see what I did there...
    Ellipses go here.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    @the OP - In my opinion the ability to think critically is worth more in terms of showing intelligence, than developing skills, which I guess is what you have done with the Rubik's Cube and in memorizing pi. Not sure how practical your new-found skills are so I don't see the connection.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    On the contrary, you have presented words. These words objectify you to your audience.
    You truly would not exist in their world if you hadn't done so but now this is irrevocable.

These self-same words are the only way in which the reader can make judgements upon you.
    For example, I used the sum total of inferences gleaned from your carefully considered prose and came to the conclusion that you were seeking external validation.

Which is quite sweet, in a way.
    Don't tell me you didn't see what I did there...
    Completely missed it and there is no way I did so to fit my own wordular ends.

I'm not Mary.
    I have an agenda
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Hello,

Recently out of curiosity I've learned pi to 120 digits and how to solve a rubik's cube (can solve it in ~50 seconds), and after seeing this video (the same girl was elected to go on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to broadcast her ability) attempted to put them together but with an additional component, that being multiplying double digits numbers by single digit numbers (such as 97*8). So as I'm reciting 100 digit strings of pi consecutively, each in 15 second speed intervals, and solving the rubik's cube, I'm multiplying double digit numbers by single digit numbers. So, in theory, completing three mental tasks simultaneously. My question is: do you think being able to do this requires above average intelligence or do you think anyone of normal intelligence can do it? Most of the people commenting on the video I mentioned in which the girl balances books on her head while solving a rubik's cube and reciting pi to 100 digits claim that the girl possesses some kind of extraordinary talent, and being that she was selected to go on The Ellen Degenres Show it seems like it might be worth of some recognition. What do you think?
    I read an article on this In New Scientist Psychology quite recently. The whole issue was on multi-tasking. This is apparently a very rare skill and most people are not able to do it. People who can are often in professions like fighter plane pilots or top-end chefs. There is in most people a finite 'working memory' with which they can devote attention. You can divide the available mental resources to any number of tasks but you will probably not do very well in any. By all accounts this is not something that can be learned: you either have it or you don't, and very few people do. I think it was around 5% of the population. Perhaps you have found your calling?

On the subject of intelligence, that's a more difficult question. Nobody really knows what that is. I would say it's the ability of your brain to help you succeed in life. It's 'fitness for purpose' I guess. You could be great at multitasking, but if all you ever use it for is doing puzzles simultaneously what use is it? Perhaps someone with more drive and direction would not be able to multitask but be able to apply themselves to a career whioch broadens their personal and financial horizons. So what defines intelligence isn't that simple imo.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    One definition of intelligence would be enough common sense to not start this thread, in this lounge, for someone who'd been a member here for five years.

Unless, of course, it's out and out trolling.

Other than that, I wonder about how keeping three things in working memory or whatebar at once can be that special, really. It seems to me that the tricky thing would be to go for a fourth or fifth. It's always been my understanding that there's where the limit is.
    Last edited by Snee; 03-20-2012 at 09:32 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    I'd like to know where you make the connection between intelligence & being on the Ellen Degenres show.

Just that it received enough attention to be broadcasted nationally. Not necessarily intelligence, but "talent", or just any positive ability that would warrant global attention.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I would expect someone of "superior intelligence" to be able to write something interesting, and not so repetitive. The Rubiks cube was an '80's fad and long since fallen from the limelight. And everyone reading this has access to some form of computer which can calculate pi as far out sa one would wish.

Your talents are irrelevant. So is Ellen Degenres.

I wasn't asking for criticism of my rhetoric, but of the specified abilities. My talents are irrelevant to what? If not many people can perform the task(s), then it's relevant to my ability to do so. You have to be accepted to perform on the Ellen Degeneres Show, so in terms of "talent", it's not irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

For someone of such vaunted intelligence, you didn't bother to use one of the copious search engines out there to find out what this forum staple means?

ffs, it is common on many fora, and is one of the many abbreviations used.

So since your massive intelligence didn't even deign to inquire, the abbreviation is: too long;didn't read. This doesn't mean that your essay was boring as fuck (which it was) just that it was unable to keep your readers attention.
    It's alright you probably get this reaction quite a bit, have you thought of entering the priesthood?

Yes, it was selfish of me to ask for a clarification without performing the necessary research, considering it's easy, but being that I'm not familiar with contemporary internet termonology, I wasn't sure whether the phrase had meaning or if it was being used to signify that I was "trolling".

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post
    If I do all three better than you, do you think you won't get on Ellen?

Also, solving a rubik's cube is an algorithm which in speed competitions is limited by how coordinated your motor cortex is as opposed to how smart you are. It doesn't take longer than 30 seconds from a competent human. Since it's taking you 50, I'd go to the local hospital and tell them you suspect you're suffering from some kind of prolonged stroke.

Similarly multiplying large numbers is an algorithm. When it's 2 digit by 1 digit multliplication you only need to carry out three mental steps before you get to the answer. An actual gift would be doing it in 0 steps. I've met people that can't explain why they know what pi multiplied by itself is, but can recite it to 100 decimal places if need be.

No. But that doesn't directly address my question, which is whether the ability to simultaneously juggle the specified activities requires an exclusive set of mental faculties or is conqeurable by anyone of average intelligence. I learned how to solve a rubik's cube about a week ago using the beginner's method. It's limited in terms of algorithms, so it's not used by speedsolvers. There are other methods of solving rubik's cubes that allow for shorter durations. However, they feature 80+ algorithms that you have to commit to memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post

I think that post requires below normal intelligence to be taken seriously. Don't really give a shit about the rest, other than that even my wastrel of a little brother is still way more clever than you and he learned how to do it (faster, and with more digits/decimals in pi) just to annoy people at parties or something.

Also, he doesn't watch Ellen.

Actually, that last bit is really the only evidence needed of his superiority.

I don't watch Ellen either. Cool assumption, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post

I read an article on this In New Scientist Psychology quite recently. The whole issue was on multi-tasking. This is apparently a very rare skill and most people are not able to do it. People who can are often in professions like fighter plane pilots or top-end chefs. There is in most people a finite 'working memory' with which they can devote attention. You can divide the available mental resources to any number of tasks but you will probably not do very well in any. By all accounts this is not something that can be learned: you either have it or you don't, and very few people do. I think it was around 5% of the population. Perhaps you have found your calling?

On the subject of intelligence, that's a more difficult question. Nobody really knows what that is. I would say it's the ability of your brain to help you succeed in life. It's 'fitness for purpose' I guess. You could be great at multitasking, but if all you ever use it for is doing puzzles simultaneously what use is it? Perhaps someone with more drive and direction would not be able to multitask but be able to apply themselves to a career whioch broadens their personal and financial horizons. So what defines intelligence isn't that simple imo.

I should've termed it "talent" instead of "intelligence", or rather anything that, like you stated, is rare to the general public. I already know that I have above average intelligence (if you want to view it from the realm of IQ), because I've scored high on several legitimate IQ tests, but I'm not certain whether this is correlated to my ability to juggle tasks (if it's an ability at all... from the research that I've conducted it seems as though it is).

Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    One definition of intelligence would be enough common sense to not start this thread, in this lounge, for someone who'd been a member here for five years.

Unless, of course, it's out and out trolling.

Other than that, I wonder about how keeping three things in working memory or whatebar at once can be that special, really. It seems to me that the tricky thing would be to go for a fourth or fifth. It's always been my understanding that there's where the limit is.

Sorry, I don't use this forum often. I was looking for a message board to post on, but was too lazy to sign up, and remembered that I have a membership here. My next attempt is to perform the tasks while riding my bike without handlebars, which will equate four. I would try it with a unicycle but I don't have one.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    My next attempt is to perform the tasks while riding my bike without handlebars, which will equate four. I would try it with a unicycle but I don't have one.
    You mean "riding a bike without holding onto the handlebars". A regular bike devoid of handlebars would be next to impossible to get going.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I would expect someone of "superior intelligence" to be able to write something interesting, and not so repetitive. The Rubiks cube was an '80's fad and long since fallen from the limelight. And everyone reading this has access to some form of computer which can calculate pi as far out as one would wish.

Your talents are irrelevant. So is Ellen Degenres.

I wasn't asking for criticism of my rhetoric, but of the specified abilities. My talents are irrelevant to what? If not many people can perform the task(s), then it's relevant to my ability to do so. You have to be accepted to perform on the Ellen Degeneres Show, so in terms of "talent", it's not irrelevant.
    From what I've seen, the show you are droning on about caters to an audience who survive on Kraft Mac & Cheese, are in the 30+ age bracket, have not seen the last class in high school, and would like to know who fathered their child(ren). Impressing them with "amazing" talents like making all the sides on a Rubik's cube the same color, or memorizing a number out beyond its usefulness (trivia) won't get you laid, yet alone make you famous.

Although you may try "dazzling" the interviewer the next time you seek employment. They may jump you straight to fry cook instead of lot boy. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast