Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Does This Ability Require Normal or Above Average Intelligence?

manker's Avatar effendi

Sir Christopher Venn will be absolutely distraught that you think his diagrams look like bawls.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #52
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Well I think there's small minded petty jealousy at work here. I think being able to say Pi or whatever and do a Rubik's cube puzzle and that other thing he just said he can do all at once is pretty impressive. It's not useful, but then neither are you lot for the most part.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure most people are able to keep three things in working memory at once. At least I can. Right now I'm flipping back and forth between this post, coding, and doing other work-related stuff. And that about how it goes every workday. It does get mentally exhausting juggling several tasks, at least for me, but it's doable. I do know people who can't answer a question and code at once, but idfk if that makes them anything but different than me. Generally speaking I get bored a lot more than people who seemingly can't focus on more than one thing at once, due to me feeling understimulated, and being bored can end up being counterproductive.

That's not to say that I've done any analysis into whether I'm an orsum multitasker, I'd say that I need to keep my mind busy with several things in order to maintain maintain focus on any one, and that I'm decent at compartmentalizing, on a good day. If I ever thought much about how my brain works, I'd say I break stuff up into tiny pieces and seemingly solve several tasks simultaneously by advancing through each task piecemeal, rotating my focus through it, and that my mind tends to wander if there's lack of variety.

I've not memorized pi, tho, or formulated a system on how to solve a rubik's cube quickly (or looked one up on the internets), so that's two things I can't presently do. But like I said, I know someone earl who did it for shits and giggles, and I've yet to see it get useful, even when done all at once.

What annoyed me with this thread is that it looks like a) a bid for external validation, to borrow a phrase from my good friend mr manker mankersson esquire the first, and b) that it's kind of lazy work, all round.
    Last edited by Snee; 03-21-2012 at 01:30 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #53
    manker's Avatar effendi
    sup, snee

I'd just like to go on record and say that I'm shite at multi-tasking. I have to focus completely on what I'm doing or I end up being unhappy with the results.
    It's one of the reasons I don't use instant messaging now because I'm fucked if I can concentrate on two conversations and be engaging/funny/interested in both. Likewise if someone talks to me when I'm reading or watching a moviefilm, I have a small mental seizure and resort to a semi-feral state for a few seconds before re-reading/watching the bit they made me miss.

I often find myself in thrall when teh missus is cooking and talking on the phone at the same time. It's like magic.

I've never tried to hone this absent skill, preferring instead to work under the pretext that the results from my endeavours will be all the better for its continued neglect.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Lounge   -   #54
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Attachment 104181

I'm usually in the black, sometimes in the purple, my best work is done when sepia comes into play and makes me wonder what would happen if I ever ventured into white territory.

Pretty sure I've never tried mauve but I used to be in the pink a lot. Recently, though, I've come to realise that I'm much brighter than internets people.
    Coincidentally, I have one testicle tattooed blue; one black.* Sephia is for pussies.

*Found a tattoo artist willing to work cheap when I was 8. The left one is Papa Smurf, the right one Black Beauty. How was I to know popular children's shows would change? Was rather pleased to see the Smurfs come back in fashion recently...
    Wonderful! now I have this mental image of you cruising around schools in loose fitting sweats, saying 'wanna see Papa Smurf?'

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. Lounge   -   #55
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    *Found a tattoo artist willing to work cheap when I was 8. The left one is Papa Smurf, the right one Black Beauty. How was I to know popular children's shows would change? Was rather pleased to see the Smurfs come back in fashion recently...
    Like one of your testicles, its return was an absolute travesty.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. Lounge   -   #56
    anigav's Avatar Dicks-lexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post

Only if it's witty. If you're nasty just because you're scared someone might think they're cleverer than you and you can't prove they're not, you're just a macho dick.
    Attachment 104181

I'm usually in the black, sometimes in the purple, my best work is done when sepia comes into play and makes me wonder what would happen if I ever ventured into white territory.

Pretty sure I've never tried mauve but I used to be in the pink a lot. Recently, though, I've come to realise that I'm much brighter than internets people.
    Something wrong, they are not mutually exclusive. Nasty is common for all three circles.

7. Lounge   -   #57
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by anigav View Post
    Attachment 104181

Something wrong, they are not mutually exclusive. Nasty is common for all three circles.
    Just think of it as different types of nasty.
    Like cars. They can be the same make but different models. People can own either an Audi TT or an Audi A4, both or neither.
    It's all Audi but in the diagram, the circles will intersect but also be distinct.

I am aware that I've confused you even more now but I like to think that my explanation would be of use to readers who aren't quite so hard of thinking.

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    If mary2 did it, I might fall asleep.

Owait, the child does three things at once as well.
    If I had a funny name for you, I'd say something like "Quote me on that, [insert]", but I don't, alas.

I was doing a spot of modulating the other day and noticed in an old thread that Mary2 is religious.
    It was just an inference but unmistakable. I arched one eyebrow and went about my business.
    Oh you found that? I keep thinking it's one of my best gems. It's hilarious what people will overlook when they're in a defensive state.

As for the multi-tasking theme, I'm more Sneelike. If I don't multi-task, I will lose focus on whatever it is I'm doing that's most important since my mind will find something to fixate on. I'm more impressed with Squeams not boasting. Way to be humble, considering your multi-tasking potential is 10:1 compared to the rest of us.
    Ellipses go here.

9. Lounge   -   #59
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Wonderful! now I have this mental image of you cruising around schools in loose fitting sweats, saying 'wanna see Papa Smurf?'
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Like one of your testicles, its return was an absolute travesty.
    The downside for you both, is that it is now 3-dimensional and stuck in your head. Don't forget to think about the grey beard.

Last edited by megabyteme; 03-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post
    I was doing a spot of modulating the other day and noticed in an old thread that Mary2 is religious.
    It was just an inference but unmistakable. I arched one eyebrow and went about my business.
    Oh you found that? I keep thinking it's one of my best gems. It's hilarious what people will overlook when they're in a defensive state.
    So it was disingenuous?

What's the point of saying that you're a Christian when you're not. It isn't as if it's that unusual and why would it have made a difference?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast