Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Does This Ability Require Normal or Above Average Intelligence?

manker's Avatar effendi
    I read that the first time and thought; 'wut' - but then I moved on because I was genuinely interested in the pretending to be a Christian thing.
    Looking back at it now, I have to agree with the smilie choice of my esteemed colleague, mbm.

So, a church is like a huge empty room.
    To Darky, like.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #72
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    I read that the first time and thought; 'wut' - but then I moved on because I was genuinely interested in the pretending to be a Christian thing.
    Looking back at it now, I have to agree with the smilie choice of my esteemed colleague, mbm.

To Darky, like.
    Most churches are nothing but big empty rooms with the exception of chairs or pews.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Lounge   -   #73
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

To Darky, like.
    Most churches are nothing but big empty rooms with the exception of chairs or pews.
    So what would you describe a sports stadium as when the people aren't attending?

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. Lounge   -   #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

So what would you describe a sports stadium as when the people aren't attending?
    A meadow full of chairs.

5. Lounge   -   #75
    On second thought, I'm not sure you can fill a meadow, so exchange "full of" for "saturated with"
    Last edited by mjmacky; 03-22-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: clarity quotes

6. Lounge   -   #76
    On second thought, I'm not sure you can fill a meadow, so exchange "full of" for "saturated with"
    While pedantic, this did miss the point(s). The first point is stadia, or arena's if you will or any other large meeting area are big empty rooms when the people aren't there.
    Secondly if you filled or saturated the meadow/stadium/arena with chairs it would fairly useless as any kind of sporting venue?

7. Lounge   -   #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    While pedantic, this did miss the point(s). The first point is stadia, or arena's if you will or any other large meeting area are big empty rooms when the people aren't there.
    Secondly if you filled or saturated the meadow/stadium/arena with chairs it would fairly useless as any kind of sporting venue?
    Actually, I had erased the part where I said "I think you mean arena" before I realized how you asked your question.

Secondly, hardcore pro wrestling match, easy.

8. Lounge   -   #78

9. Lounge   -   #79
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    sup, snee

I'd just like to go on record and say that I'm shite at multi-tasking. I have to focus completely on what I'm doing or I end up being unhappy with the results.
    It's one of the reasons I don't use instant messaging now because I'm fucked if I can concentrate on two conversations and be engaging/funny/interested in both. Likewise if someone talks to me when I'm reading or watching a moviefilm, I have a small mental seizure and resort to a semi-feral state for a few seconds before re-reading/watching the bit they made me miss.

I often find myself in thrall when teh missus is cooking and talking on the phone at the same time. It's like magic.

I've never tried to hone this absent skill, preferring instead to work under the pretext that the results from my endeavours will be all the better for its continued neglect.
    I don't know how anybody can do any of the following at the same time: talk/listen/read. My inability to do this was a constant source of irritation to my ex. He could play computer games and have a fully functional conversation with me, but if I was on the internet talking to you guys or reading something I wouldn't hear anything he said to me. I tried to explain that if he wanted a conversation with me he should say my name firmly and audibly and that would cause me to take note, extract my attention from what I was doing and turn it to him. He never got it though. I would suddenly become aware of a babbling noise and then realise he was in the middle of a conversation with me

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post

Disagreed. I respect the Church, I just don't agree with what it stands for.

I volunteer at the Church regularly, because I see it as a communal socializing hall for the neighborhood. I help people with fundraisers, cook food for giveaways and help advertise the daycare. To me the Church is like a library without the books. People still go there asking for help with filing taxes, help with getting on the internets, help with driver's education etc. I help the community through the Church.
    What. Help filing taxes! I'm glad that the churches around me don't get up to such shenanigans.

That you see the church as facebook for old people is great. It is completely dissimilar over here, however. Which may explain why it's fast fading here but appears to be stronger than ever over there.

There are church run youth-clubs in the evenings but I'm fairly sure that the majority of Welsh churches cater socially only for the people who go to bi-weekly sermons.
    These people are old and are dying out quickly with no-one to replace them. I don't know a single person my age or younger who goes to church for anything other than funerals and the like.
    That's because we're not backwards fucks. Organised religion evolved to form a system of governance at a time when the majority of the population couldn't read and were even more prone to acts of random barbarism and sociopathy than today. As soon as societies became educated enough they formed alternatives to religion that didn't rely on fear and rote learning to control the population.
    An advanced civilisation will find ways to be socially helpful and aware that don't have anything to do with churches. If you're an atheist or even agnostic, and you have anything to do with organised religion you're just prolonging its agony and validating it, and you don't have the balls to stand up and be counted.

About the church thing, I went and volunteered at one of my old churches after I went agnostic. I drove one of the buses of homeless people we picked up in a central location in downtown and helped serve the meals. The price the homeless payed was being preached to for 2 hours about how God has a plan for them all. I thought I was OK with it, but after a while the concept was too much for me to humbly pay mind. I stopped going after rather negative feedback to my suggestion of having a separate dining area for those who didn't want a sermon. I would still donate my clothes there.
    Jesus, In the way the homeless are handled this reminds me of Down and Out in Paris and London (Orwell). That was set in the 1920s and 30s though.

10. Lounge   -   #80
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I can sort of understand, how dave nevar got it.

To me not being able do two things at once seems nigh on impossible, even tho I understand it intellectually.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast