Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Does This Ability Require Normal or Above Average Intelligence?

Poster BT Rep: +2
    Hello,

Recently out of curiosity I've learned pi to 120 digits and how to solve a rubik's cube (can solve it in ~50 seconds), and after seeing this video (the same girl was elected to go on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to broadcast her ability) attempted to put them together but with an additional component, that being multiplying double digits numbers by single digit numbers (such as 97*8). So as I'm reciting 100 digit strings of pi consecutively, each in 15 second speed intervals, and solving the rubik's cube, I'm multiplying double digit numbers by single digit numbers. So, in theory, completing three mental tasks simultaneously. My question is: do you think being able to do this requires above average intelligence or do you think anyone of normal intelligence can do it? Most of the people commenting on the video I mentioned in which the girl balances books on her head while solving a rubik's cube and reciting pi to 100 digits claim that the girl possesses some kind of extraordinary talent, and being that she was selected to go on The Ellen Degenres Show it seems like it might be worth of some recognition. What do you think?
    Last edited by Metaphysic; 03-19-2012 at 07:56 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    tl;dr

yo

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    tl;dr
    What?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I had a Rubik's Cube once but I couldn't figure out how to get it out of the packaging.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    I'd like to know where you make the connection between intelligence & being on the Ellen Degenres show.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

6. Lounge   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysic View Post
    Hello,

Recently out of curiosity I've learned pi to 120 digits and how to solve a rubik's cube (can solve it in ~50 seconds), and after seeing this video (the same girl was elected to go on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to broadcast her ability) attempted to put them together but with an additional component, that being multiplying double digits numbers by single digit numbers (such as 97*8). So as I'm reciting 100 digit strings of pi consecutively, each in 15 second speed intervals, and solving the rubik's cube, I'm multiplying double digit numbers by single digit numbers. So, in theory, completing three mental tasks simultaneously. My question is: do you think being able to do this requires above average intelligence or do you think anyone of normal intelligence can do it? Most of the people commenting on the video I mentioned in which the girl balances books on her head while solving a rubik's cube and reciting pi to 100 digits claim that the girl possesses some kind of extraordinary talent, and being that she was selected to go on The Ellen Degenres Show it seems like it might be worth of some recognition. What do you think?
    Well, people learn Pi to thousands of decimal places, can solve Rubik's cubes in half the time and can multiply much, much, larger numbers.
    So all you're doing is three mediocre things simultaneously. I think that most people could learn how to do that stuff given a few weeks training.

That's not to say if I saw you doing those things, I wouldn't be impressed. I would. But it's kinda like seeing a precocious 10 year old on Countdown get an eight letter word; you're initially impressed until you realise that he will probably remain a virgin forever.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysic View Post
    Hello,

I would expect someone of "superior intelligence" to be able to write something interesting, and not so repetitive. The Rubiks cube was an '80's fad and long since fallen from the limelight. And everyone reading this has access to some form of computer which can calculate pi as far out sa one would wish.

Your talents are irrelevant. So is Ellen Degenres.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Sounds like a confined thinker to me. I can solve the Rubiks cube from any configuration in under 30 seconds by removing the stickers (that's it, I just remove the stickers, problem solved). I know enough digits of pi to get match any practical set of significant figures. I can multiply a shitload of numbers in my head since it tends to make things a lot easier and faster for me. But there's one thing I can't do. I can't get Portia de Rossi to fuck me willingly. So Ellen wins.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I'm just going to make an educated guess that Ellen Degenres is the white Oprah.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    I'd like to know where you make the connection between intelligence & being on the Ellen Degenres show.
    Lesbians are more intelligent than the average person.Especially the bull dykes.
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast