Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I've been watching some of the new TV shows

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    A Person of Interest was better than I thought it would be . Jim Caviezel surprised me.Sure the whole thing was overdone , ultimately not sustainable and the inclusion of Michael Emerson presumably only to assure the fanboy turnout was distracting but I thought that the show for that hour was enjoyable and moved with a little grace.

Prime Suspect is not your parent's Prime Suspect but if you can get past that the show stands pretty well on it's own merits. Some decent writing and a good cast lead by the surprisingly convincing Maria Bello.I liked it .Good not great.

The New Girl I also liked and obviously Zooey Deschanel has major appeal but the show will need to get past the stereotypical supporting characters if it wants to last. Of course obvious and one dimensional has never hurt shows like Two and a Half Men so who knows.

Whitney , funny and as much as the structure of a sitcom allows,original. The only question is will America embrace a Whitney?

I recorded Unforgettable but so far only managed to get through the first ten odd minutes as I didn't really hold my interest up to that point.

Now for the dregs:Charlie's Angels and The Playboy Club.I had low expectations going in and they didn't even live up to those.Not exciting.Not dramatic.Not sexy.Not funny. Only bad.I will never watch either again and regret wasting my time doing so already.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I haven't watched any of those except The New Girl, and I found the stereotypicism loathesome (with a silent e). If I happen to ever be caught watching another episode, it'll be because I'm masturbating to Zooey.

Others:
    Ringer - soap opera-like shit
    Up All Night - not enthused, didn't really laugh, felt really disappointed
    Terra Nova - I really like the show. However I found some of the writing and acting a bit cliched, maybe the show needs time to grow into its own writing style, or they just stay focused on Jurassic Park/Predator/someFUTUREshow like action sequences.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    I haven't watched any of those except The New Girl, and I found the stereotypicism loathesome (with a silent e). If I happen to ever be caught watching another episode, it'll be because I'm masturbating to Zooey.

Others:
    Ringer - soap opera-like shit
    Up All Night - not enthused, didn't really laugh, felt really disappointed
    Terra Nova - I really like the show. However I found some of the writing and acting a bit cliched, maybe the show needs time to grow into its own writing style, or they just stay focused on Jurassic Park/Predator/someFUTUREshow like action sequences.
    The only reason I would watch Ringer is for SMG.As for Terra Nova I purposely avoided it .I read that it was considerably better as it was originally filmed but then the network suits got worried that it didn't mesh with the target audience of teens and so amped up the family/younger people story lines.I surprised at that rate that they didn't also demand inclusion of a hot but conflicted vampire and a giant robot or two.

I'm waiting for the premieres of Grimm and Once Upon a Time which sort of share a premise and American Horror Story billed as "the scariest TV series ever" for my Fall fantasy fix.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 09-29-2011 at 01:37 AM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Poster
    I'm an aussie, our tv is shite at the best of times. I'm reallly enjoying the choices that are now available to watch.

I'm loving The Good Wife is back on. I'm missing Harvey Spectre in Suits. Spooks - awesome BBC tv, NCIS, Greys, Sons of Anarchy, all the great stuff is back on! yay.

Thanks for the heads up about A Person of Interest, i was debating getting that.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    The only reason I would watch Ringer is for SMG
    Do it if you want to suddenly hate an uzi.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    As for Terra Nova I purposely avoided it .I read that it was considerably better as it was originally filmed but then the network suits got worried that it didn't mesh with the target audience of teens and so amped up the family/younger people story lines.I surprised at that rate that they didn't also demand inclusion of a hot but conflicted vampire and a giant robot or two.
    I didn't research my shows as thoroughly as you did, I only knew it had something to do with ancient urf. However, the teen storyline was so overly cliche, it's pretty much the only target for my gripes about the show. I'm holding out for a remedy.

Quote Originally Posted by mollywogger View Post
    I'm an aussie, our tv is shite at the best of times.
    I actually really enjoyed "This Is Not My Life" much more than the American mini-series "Prisoner".

/NZ=Australia reference to piss off an aussie
    Last edited by mjmacky; 09-29-2011 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    If it weren't for cartoons and football(get to watch another seasons of the Bears losing every Sunday) I'd probably have nothing new to watch.

The only one of that list that looks halfway entertaining is The New Girl. Only because I think Zooey is pretty funny. That and I've had a crush on her since first seeing her on Weeds. So I might check it out. Me and macky will probably be masturbating to her at the same times.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Being a major TV fiend myself, I was very much looking forward to the fall season hoping for a some good shows to follow but its been disappointing thus far barring may be a couple of procedurals.

Person of interest is the best among the new lot imo, for its interesting storyline and rather believable acting. I don't care much for Emerson (in fact I find his mechanical voice a bit annoying) but the other guy is fine. Also, the episode trackline about the lawyer was pretty neat and it'd be interesting to see how the main background story of the two leads is developed over coming episodes.

Prime suspect seemed to spend much of its first episode introducing us to the characters and the episode case suffered because of that. The killer getting caught due to a call from the community center guy seemed like they were out of time and had to get it done hastily. But yeah now that all the characters are familiar, the coming episodes should hopefully have strong cases. Also, the lead actress fits well into her character...could do without the hat though.

Liked the first episode of 2 broke girls, but this week was a total snooze fest. Writing is pretty inconsistent at this point with some of the dialogues being genuinely funny while the rest being cringeworthy (and the laughter track making it even worse). The lead actors are pretty good though so its not all bad. Remains to be seen which direction this show will take..

As for new girl, I am still undecided about it. Zoey is good, the rest not so much.
    Last edited by bRIO; 09-29-2011 at 05:54 PM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    Me and macky will probably be masturbating to her at the same times.
    Just don't forget to picture my avatar >:]

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I have avatars turned off. But now I'm curious and will have to temporarily turn them back on.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    watched terra nova, the premise is good but the first ep felt like a teen movie... that i didn't like

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast