Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block News / da faq?

I can't for the sake of my life figure out what a Block News account is after searching it for it in these forums and on Google. I don't upload and I don't download TB's of stuff. I just download. Should I even bother with block news stuff or just get an unlimited Astra account. Thanks in advance!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster
    This might help http://faq.blocknews.net/index.php?a...=24&artlang=en but basically yea if you do not download much this is good. Good completion and it is NOT a highwinds provider.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Blocknews is another Usetnet provider. A block account is a specified amount of allowed download size. If you download more than 40-50 GB/month than its more cost effective to grab a monthly account over a block. I got this by comparing the prices of block accounts with the price of an unlimited account. You can contact the support of Usenet providers to grab a trial account and see if it's something that you would be interested in.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Having an additional '2nd provider' is one of those 'must haves' when dealing with usenet, no matter how much or how little one downloads.

The two biggies, of course, are first, does the service have good retention, and an overall good reputation. The second is, do the blocks purchased have a expiration date; many providers do that for whatever reason.

It's been pretty much acknowledged around these parts that the service 'Blocknews' is good to go on the retention/rep, and their blocks don't 'expire', so get a good deal today and you'll still be able to use them, slowly munching away using them as 'fills', for years to come. I have some from 3-4 years ago I bought when they first appeared on the market.

Then again, I have non-expiring blocks I bought from Astraweb almost 10 years ago I don't really use, particularly as I changed my 'main' service to them (from Giga) 4-5 years ago. BTW, they're still 'good', the account still is there and operational.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by supdubdup View Post
    I can't for the sake of my life figure out what a Block News account is after searching it for it in these forums and on Google. I don't upload and I don't download TB's of stuff. I just download. Should I even bother with block news stuff or just get an unlimited Astra account. Thanks in advance!
    The Astraweb deal of $50 for 1000 gigs is the best deal I know of.

yo

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Is NewsLeecher still a recommended client?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by supdubdup View Post
    Is NewsLeecher still a recommended client?
    Newsleecher supports fill servers -- as do many other clients -- since this is the primary reason most of us use block accounts.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Haha. Now i'm more confused. Hopefully what I read means "Fill servers client support = good thing."

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    newsgroupie
    ^^^ not just "= good thing" - some of us consider a client's support of fill servers to be an absolute necessity.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Would you guys consider Newsbin Pro the best commercial software? I know hypatia seems to like Usenet explorer, but Newbin Pro is only 20 dollars (Newsleecher is too i think)! Or is something free like Alt Binz .39 enough?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast