Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Movie Ever

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post

I personally enjoyed Her and American Hustle. I thought they were very well done. I personally don't watch too many movies but I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could find another one, you jaded fuck.
    Okay,discounting the fact that good isn't even what we're arguing aboot,amazing seems to have as much value nowadays as "awesome" or "superstar " or in the case of those televised singing competitions,"You have one of the best voices that I've ever heard".
    So what was the 2 year period 30-40 years ago where there were far more "amazing" movies released than what there is now?

Not saying that the movies released nowadays are superior, but it clearly isn't some sort of dark age with only mindless drivel like Transformers.

2. Movies & TV   -   #242
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    So what was the 2 year period 30-40 years ago where there were far more "amazing" movies released than what there is now?
    :highfive: , Rart. I believe you and I have successfully burst the anal wart that is Idol. Either that, or he's got us exactly where he wants us.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Movies & TV   -   #243
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata

Yeah I'm like really been put in my place.

If you really need to go there ,in 1973 and 74.......

The Exorcist.The Sting. American Graffiti. Mean Streets.Enter the Dragon.The Wicker Man.Soylent Green.Don't Look Now.Papllion.Bang the Drum Slowly.Last Tango in Paris.The Paper Chase.Save the Tiger.Love and Anarchy.The Godfather. Chinatown.Blazing Saddles.The Conversation.Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Continuing on to 1975 ...Jaws.Barry Lyndon.Dog Day Afternoon.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.The Man Who Would Be King.,etc...............

Next stupid question.

Her.

See Rart here's the thing abut being young.No matter how smart you are,you're still going to always lack some perspective.

PS Spastic.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-24-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #244
    Serious, thought-provoking question: Could Papillon be made today? Not a remake, but brand new (assuming there never was the 1973 version) with modern equipment, actors, lighting, etc.? How would the changes work for/against it? Are some of these films impossible to match for certain reasons (explain)?
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #245
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    If you really need to go there ,in 1973 and 74.......

The Exorcist.The Sting. American Graffiti. Mean Streets.Enter the Dragon.The Wicker Man.Soylent Green.Don't Look Now.Papllion.Bang the Drum Slowly.Last Tango in Paris.The Paper Chase.Save the Tiger.Love and Anarchy.The Godfather. Chinatown.Blazing Saddles.The Conversation.Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Continuing on to 1975 ...Jaws.Barry Lyndon.Dog Day Afternoon.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.The Man Who Would Be King.,etc...............
    Not knowing nearly enough about those movies you listed to judge there awesomeness level, I'll trust your opinion and concede to you that there were a lot of great movies made then.

I still think though there are quite enough "great" movies released in recent memory that there are still a lot of movies coming out that have more substance than you give them credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Honest point here, but I strongly suspect movies are being made for those with short attention spans/ADHD. I seem to suffer from this more than you and Idol. There are only so many pre-80's movies I can sit through. Those tend to be the well-known greats, usually with more flow to them.

Most of the older shows require a bit of a connoisseur's taste. An educated palate regarding scene, lighting, mood, etc. Not a criticism, but an observation. If one does not know of the detailed work that went into a movie, they are not likely to recognize the finer details as they roll past. We are suffering from a lot of mega-budget fast food, being served up to an audience of ugly Americans.

That said, we do still get some amazing films, but they require effort on both the consuming and production ends of things.
    I like to call this the "Shakespeare" effect. While the Shakespeare plays were brilliantly written plays in their own time, if we were wiped of our memory of them and someone released the exact same plot in present day, it would crash and burn due to all the painful cliches and predictable storytelling. Granted Shakespeare was probably the one to create those cliches in the first place with his masterful storytelling (for his time), but that doesn't make his work any more captivating in the present day, based on how storytelling has evolved since then, and thus our standards as well.

That's sort of what I think about (some, not all) of the older, more "classic" and "timeless" movies as well. Granted that they may have been genre defining movies in their time, I don't think they would stand up in present time if released in their current state. Sure, they may be amazing movies, and you can appreciate how brilliant the movie was (when it was released). But storytelling has evolved, just like everything else in the world. The classic, timeless movies and there plots have turned into cliches. Are we generally more prone to short attention spans and simpler movies than previous generations? Probably. But I think a bigger factor in why people such as you and me may not appreciate these movies as much is that they simply don't stand up to the modern standards of storytelling. Movie connoisseurs such as Idol appreciate the movies for their contribution to cinema as well as the actual movie, while we're just looking at it from the surface.

6. Movies & TV   -   #246
    I think we also need to take into account that not all of the best actors, writers, directors, etc. are working exclusively in film these days. During the time Idol is discussing, there was very little talent draw away from films. If we include GoT, Breaking Bad, and all of the other great non-theater shows, we are certainly not in the same kind of drought that it seems like on occasion.

EDIT- Let's not gloss over the truly dreadful stuff that has come out during the "heyday", either...
    Last edited by megabyteme; 07-25-2014 at 04:53 AM.

7. Movies & TV   -   #247
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    So many words,so little sense.

Good is good and average is average ,end of story.

No wait,I've time traveled 300 years into the future and while Jimi Hendrix ,because of pure talent, is still considered a Rock legend,people cringe when names like Avincii come up.
    "Modern standards"

Not knowing nearly enough about those movies you listed.

The Conversation is considered by some to be one of the greatest movies ever made and maybe Gene Hackman's finest performance but then in the same vein you have Eagle Eye with Shia LaBeouf and a bunch of special effects so I guess we rack this up as a tie.

The difference between then and now is that movies used to be about people and now they are, like your increasing souless World ,merely reflections of technology.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-25-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Movies & TV   -   #248
    So many words,so little sense.

Good is good and average is average ,end of story.[...]

The difference between then and now is that movies used to be about people and now they are, like your increasing souless World ,merely reflections of technology.

9. Movies & TV   -   #249
    The Cable Guy jim carrey

10. Movies & TV   -   #250
    The Phantom Menace.. just horrible entry into the Epic Star Wars Saga

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast