Thread: Astraweb Retention Quotes are False

I've been trying to download some older material that's still within Astraweb's quoted retention rate of 1200+ days (mostly stuff that's 1100-ish days old) but it's failing because of server retention issues. I'm using their SSL server. Can anyone else confirm or am I just going full retard here?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    1200 days 'back' from today (1.31.2012) would be 18 Oct 2008.

I (and a lot of others) did lots of 'research' the last couple of times when the Astra servers 'took a dump or two' a while back. The 'zero day' (when nothing more 'rolled off') came out to around two weeks plus or minus 1 Aug 08, but it was highly dependent upon the newsgroup. But I would say most if not all 'major' binary groups easily met that by 18 Oct 08.

BTW, there is no such thing as an 'SSL server', the line or port attachment is made via the 'front end' processor to the server plant, either the EU or US, and the data is all coming from the same 'bucket'.

There may be some missing that far back, again depending upon the newsgroup. But there shouldn't be, do you have your client set to at least 'draw' from both the US and EU servers? That may help if you don't, and if so, then having an additional 'fills' server 'may' help.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    the stuff i downloaded from ~1200 days came just fine

it would be more interesting if you gave us a link to nzb

There is no provider out there that has 99% completion at the end of their retention on all groups.they may advertise it(even 100% as giganews claims lol) but its not the case.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I pulled some 1,150 day old stuff earlier in the week and came in fine for me.........................now anyone remember when getting 365 days was such a big deal!

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by ger036 View Post
    ...now anyone remember when getting 365 days was such a big deal!
    Or how about when binary retention --on the biggest servers-- was measured in fractions of a day?

http://web.archive.org/web/200203280....giganews.com/

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I got an nzb from ~1140 days and it was fine. What nzb are you looking at?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    @zot - did you see the Retention Blurb Here

Retention is the amount of time articles remain on the news server. With well over 1.25 terabytes of storage space available locally to each server, and innovative server management, you can expect retention to be the best available anywhere, even with our full compliment of binary newsgroups.
    Really rocking the storage back then.
    Digital World...You can't handle the Digital World! What did your Mom buy you a PUTER for Christmas!
    http://usenetgeeks.com

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nntpjunkie View Post
    @zot - did you see the Retention Blurb Here

Retention is the amount of time articles remain on the news server. With well over 1.25 terabytes of storage space available locally to each server, and innovative server management, you can expect retention to be the best available anywhere, even with our full compliment of binary newsgroups.
    Really rocking the storage back then.
    Wow lol, I read that as current and thought it was a typo. I remember when terabytes sounded huge.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    All i can say is ROFL!!!!

Thanks for this site: http://web.archive.org/ It is really fun to check older versions of some websites.

LOL again! a giganews server with 1.25 Tb storage and probably 3 to 5 days retention! Imagine it!