Thread: fileserve

ok, so i went to download a file from fileserve today and i got this message:
    FileServe can only be used to download and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.
    If this file belongs to you, please login to download it directly from your file manage

so naturally, i did a quick search on the internet to see what was going on and apparently, fileserve instituted this policy back in january in the wake of the megaupload bust. but here's the thing: i've downloaded COUNTLESS files from fileserve in january, february, march, and pretty much all the way up until about a week or two ago. WTF?? was everyone else able to d/l from fileserve during this time? and no, i'm not confusing fileserve with filesonic who i know instituted the same policy back then but in their case, i wasn't able to d/l any files since the megaupload bust. and no, this is NOT some lame april fool's joke.

so what's the deal? has fileserve JUST NOW instituted this policy that according to about a dozen sources was supposed to be instituted over 2 months ago? was everyone using fileserve during that time like me? if so, strange how none of that came up in my search.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by deiby View Post
    was everyone using fileserve during that time like me?
    Certainly. I was pretty happy to notice they re-enabled file sharing. Don't tell me they're scared again

That and Mediafire turned into some "cloud storage" service.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    johhny's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    not again

few days ago was working fine.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    newsgroupie
    It's a similar cycle I've seen many times before: there's a major bust, everyone panics, and then it's a year or so before things settle back down again.

Although a major difference here is that unlike ed2k or torrent sites, which can be based anywhere (or even moved frequently), there are not that many places in the world with enough bandwidth/connectivity to run a major file-hosting site.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    was everyone using fileserve during that time like me?
    Certainly. I was pretty happy to notice they re-enabled file sharing. Don't tell me they're scared again

That and Mediafire turned into some "cloud storage" service.
    ah ok.. so it wasn't just me.. still with this happening, it's now MU: gone, filesonic: pretty much gone, fileserve: pretty much gone, rapidshare: 30kb/s for free users

that's 4 of the biggest filehosts gone or crippled in a matter of a few months.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Maybe it's time to give USENET a try.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    ah ok.. so it wasn't just me.. still with this happening, it's now MU: gone, filesonic: pretty much gone, fileserve: pretty much gone, rapidshare: 30kb/s for free users

that's 4 of the biggest filehosts gone or crippled in a matter of a few months.
    For new releases, it's hardly a big deal. Just a matter of waiting to see which host takes over, and getting used to new links and their corresponding restrictions.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I'm trying to find out about the same thing. Does anyone know when exactly this happened? I can't find a single thing on the internet about it at all.

Yes, it first happened with Fileserve back at the same time Filesonic shut down a couple months ago, however, Fileserve was restored and back to normal after only a couple days, and as far as I know it's been that way ever since. Now I see it's blocked again and I'm wondering if there's any online article/discussion/info about it, and also if there's info on exactly when it happened. It'd also be nice to know if there's any chance it will start working again or if it's looking like it's permanent this time.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jkl49 View Post
    Now I see it's blocked again and I'm wondering if there's any online article/discussion/info about it
    Wikipedia and a thread on TehParadox forums agree on that this started right yesterday. Search "fileserve april 1" for more info.