Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alt.Binz creator puts on "nice guy" hat, releases all newer versions as FREEWARE!

newsgroupie
    ... just in case you didn't already know that.

Code:
    http://www.altbinz.net/

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    i dont like it. i wouldnt use it even if it had perma-free status.
    (i am a paid non-user)

its a resource hog.(at least in my case)

PS Besides.. it doesnt say that all new versions will be free. =) Just the current one 39.4.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 04-01-2012 at 12:52 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    i guess there is hope for everyone, since he is changed

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Nah, its just PR.

Search is disabled in this free version =))
    Last edited by Hypatia; 04-01-2012 at 01:31 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    April's Fools ?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    So to put out this question, the free Alt.binz that I've been using up until now is 0.25 I think. It works just fine for me and does everything I expect it to do without creating additional work for me, doesn't use too much of my resources either. What exactly would I gain from updating it to a newer version?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    So to put out this question, the free Alt.binz that I've been using up until now is 0.25 I think. It works just fine for me and does everything I expect it to do without creating additional work for me, doesn't use too much of my resources either. What exactly would I gain from updating it to a newer version?
    Faster decoding and lose your skins and search engines .

Actually there is an ever newer "free" version over at usenet , 0.28.5 but the newest one 0.39.4 has much faster decoding

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    You aren't supposed to ask that kind of question. In fact, to even think such thoughts is considered sacrilege. (don't you know that "new=better"?)

But I'm probably not the best person to ask, as you'd be getting advice from someone who keeps an ancient notebook PC with the old "square" screen because it fits on narrow desks (with enough room on the side for a mousepad or notebook to write on) without sacrificing display height, and with its glare-free screen (and flat-black case) can even be used outdoors (or even next to windows) on sunny days without the risks of momentary blindness that virtually all newer laptops are cursed with.

At least old software can be used for eternity, even if the hardware it runs on can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post
    Faster decoding ... has much faster decoding
    If you mean the Yenc-to-rar decoding, I'll say this:

Using the old Altbinz 0.25, on a decade-old computer, it will decode fast enough [just barely] to keep up with a 20 megabit/second download speed, which is the highest speed I've ever had the opportunity of using. (This is the same PC which gets maxed-out running the current version of SABnzbd ... at dialup speeds.)

On any modern computer, I'll extrapolate that Altbin v0.25's (supposedly-resource-hogging) Yenc decoding would not be a significant processor load on anything less than hyperfast download speeds.

But anyway, as a general rule, it seems that the more recent the software version, the more resource-hogging it will typically be. This is why people with old computers are usually [though not in every case] better off using old versions of software.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    weird.... when i download it just disappeared from the dl location, guess my antivirus didnt like the installer... but the zip dl'd and extracted fine........... wtf is going here =/
    Last edited by JustDOSE; 04-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    Pimpn aint easy ®

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    i gave it a try.. well. decoding still uses shitload of resources, mostly cpu( i monitored it) compared to very efficient in that department usenet explorer and sabnzbd deals with this much better too
    Last edited by Hypatia; 04-02-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast