Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 560ti to buy...?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'll be buying a new graphics card to finish off my new build but I need a few suggestions before doing so. I'm not a gamer at all but I am good for buying about one or two games a year. I have 2 8800GTS's in SLI right now and have basically settled on the EVGA 560ti as my upgrade. I'm currently looking for suggestions on which one to buy.

Choice #1

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked - $269 - lifetime limited warranty

1024MB GDDR5 Memory
    PCI-E 2.0 16x
    900Mhz GPU Clock Speed
    4212Mhz Memory Clock Speed
    NVIDIA SLI ready

Choice #2

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - $299 - 3 year limited warranty

2048MB Memory
    PCI-E 2.0 16x
    822Mhz GPU Clock Speed
    4000Mhz Memory Clock Speed
    NVIDIA SLI ready

Potentially relevant system specs:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
    Windows 7 "Enterprise" 64-bit
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA motherboard
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (DDR3 1600)
    Cooler Master 690 case
    750W Corsair modular PSU

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I nearly bought two 560Tis, in fact I went so far as to order and then cancel my order (it was 1:25 in the morning, on a sunday) and they fucked up and sent them out anyways. (I'll be sending them back, free of charge.)

The reason I'm not keeping them is kepler. GK104 *should* hit stores come march-april, and the thing is that while I'm not sure that they'll be twice as good, as NVidia is implying, I think it might be worth the wait just to see how they turn out, them being midrange and slated to occupy the same price-range as the 560s originally did.

However, if you have to choose between those exact two, it's difficult, I'd say. On the one hand games like BF3 and Skyrim on Ultra can presumably eat over a gig of VRam at FullHD or more, and more games are sure to follow that trend, on the other hand it's not certain the GPU is actually powerful enough to use that much VRam, which should mean that an OC'd Superclocked 560Ti with a mere 1GB of VRam might give you more of a gain, it being faster, and presumably better suited for even more overclocking, what with that edition getting the choice chips.

If I absolutely was to order something else with the moniker 560Ti, though, I'd look into something with a 448-core. They sit about in the middle of the 560s and 570s, and come with a 25% buff in VRam as standard. They also support triple SLi

The ones I ordered were the Asus OC DCUII version. Nice cooler on those. No idea what the EVGAs are like.

As a sidenote, most 560Tis I know of don't have a proper HDMI-port. They come with a mini-hdmi port + an adapter. That may or may not lead to a loss of quality. If you're planning on using something HDMI, keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-26-2012 at 08:17 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    The Choice #1, because of higher clock speed & also have the added advantage of dual fan cooling.

Asus OC DCUII is also good, but the bad thing is, it takes 3 extension slots. And in CM690 cabinet, if you ever think about going for dual GPU setup, you just can't add any other extension card (i.e. sound card etc)
    Teh n00b.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    Asus OC DCUII is also good, but the bad thing is, it takes 3 extension slots.
    Not that it matters since he's probably gotten one of the EVGAs by now, but no, no it doesn't.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    No, I haven't pulled the trigger just yet. That post had a lot of good info so I figured I'd wait like you said and look at prices in March-April for the GK104. If they're more than I'm willing to throw at a GPU, I'll go back to the 560ti. Who knows, maybe those prices will drop a tad by then.

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Kewl. I'll keep you posted if I run across any tests or owt.

What I have thus far is a price tag possibly around $299 (could be bunkum, we'll see), it's built on a 28nm architecture (smaller than last gen, so presumably cooler and more energy efficient), comes with 2GB VRam as standard and is said to perform somewhere between 50% above a GTX560Ti and 50% above a GTX580 (reference design).

Also, NVidia claims to be working towards releasing them in larger quantities/have enough stocked up before the release so as to not run into a shortage from the get-go. We'll see.

I've read articles all over the place, but here's one sauce and here's another.

I was looking at a HD7970 initially, then went for the 560Tis in SLi because ATis drivers have been pissing me off to no end, and because I actually do play a few games with hardware physx. And then I found out about kepler.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-07-2012 at 10:37 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    After reading some reviews, and deciding I totally could afford it, I ordered a gtx 680.

Here's one http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/

Later on they'll be releasing the 670s, and some time after that the 660s*. From what I've read, the 680 beats the AMD 7970, and is basically the best single core, single card solution available for ordering. The 670s and 660s will be slower ofc, but the architecture seems solid, and even the 660 may come close to, or beat the gtx580. And given the pricing on the 680s, the other cards may very well land somewhere close to what's been promised.

In short, things are looking good.

edit: Also, GTX 580s may be available cheaper from now on. On another board someone noted they'd seen them as low as $330

*last time around they released the geforce 570 about a month after the 580.
    Last edited by Snee; 03-23-2012 at 07:42 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What will you be doing with your former GPU(s)? :

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    ckrit's Avatar Flagpole
    They're spoken for, I'm afraid.

One of my younger siblings is still making do with an HD4870, I figured I'd upgrade his rig and mine at once.

edit: heh, wrong account.

Not really a secret tho.
    Last edited by ckrit; 03-23-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    ckrit d<rit c|<rit

Mi signotaur > urs.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    No probs. No harm in asking.

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast