Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: God Bless America

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I just caught a clip of this on youtube, and thought the premise (while dark) is quite timely to the world we live in. It is marked as a 2011 film, but does not seem to be available anywhere. Perhaps it is slow in coming out.

Thoughts?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1912398/

Storyline
    Loveless, jobless, possibly terminally ill, Frank has had enough of the downward spiral of America. With nothing left to lose, Frank takes his gun and offs the stupidest, cruelest, and most repellent members of society. He finds an unusual accomplice: 16-year-old Roxy, who shares his sense of rage and disenfranchisement. Written by Anonymous

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I just caught a clip of this on youtube, and thought the premise (while dark) is quite timely to the world we live in. It is marked as a 2011 film, but does not seem to be available anywhere. Perhaps it is slow in coming out.
    The movie premiered up in Toronto last September. That is why it looks like it has been released. It was bought by Magnolia/Magnet and will be in theaters May 11. It will also be leaked out on Video On Demand starting April 6. I can't wait that long. I am going to Austin for the SxSW Festival and will catch it either Mar 9 or 10.
    Thoughts. It's written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait .This could not possibly be seen as being a good thing.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    I get that it won't be any sort of "must buy on Blu-Ray" kind of show, but the trailer does kick off a certain amount of pleasure in seeing on the screen what any once-would-be-considered-normal person has pictured in their frustrated mind.

I'm wondering if there will be anything beyond that not-so-guilty pleasure...

EDIT- BTW, thanks for finding the release info!
    Last edited by megabyteme; 03-09-2012 at 02:13 AM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Have you seen Rampage yet?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Yes, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, honestly. I've also seen Red State, which is probably a bit closer to GBA in the line of "those who deserve to die"- yet with a MUCH more sobering storyline.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Or Super or Falling Down.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I absolutely love Falling Down. I saw it in a theater on opening day when people had mistaken it for a comedy due to the presentation in the trailer. Very uncomfortable to be sitting in a room with 100+ people who were ALL expecting a comedy and got the movie as it is.

It took me a second viewing, several years later to realize how GREAT the movie really is. It is somewhere in my top 25ish, and I give it an 8.5.

EDIT- And now I remember seeing Super. Interestingly enough, I didn't enjoy the sobering element ADDED to what was supposed to be funny. Maybe that one will have to grow on me a bit more...

I have to wonder if the plot line will require GBA to take the same sobering end.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 03-09-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I absolutely love Falling Down. I saw it in a theater on opening day when people had mistaken it for a comedy due to the presentation in the trailer. Very uncomfortable to be sitting in a room with 100+ people who were ALL expecting a comedy and got the movie as it is.

It took me a second viewing, several years later to realize how GREAT the movie really is. It is somewhere in my top 25ish, and I give it an 8.5.

EDIT- And now I remember seeing Super. Interestingly enough, I didn't enjoy the sobering element ADDED to what was supposed to be funny. Maybe that one will have to grow on me a bit more...

I have to wonder if the plot line will require GBA to take the same sobering end.
    The problem with using acronyms is that ultimately people are nowhere as clued in as you assume. For example you write GBA and even with the title of this thread staring me in the face all I originally got was Game Boy Advance.

Anyway Falling Down is a very "effective" movie but since ,as you know ,I'm into puppies riding rainbows swooping in to save the day at the last minute.........
    Actually that probably would have worked on the pier if it had the proper song playing over it.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 03-09-2012 at 05:54 PM.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    It can't all be puppies and rainbows, can it. Maybe exploring some of the more "effective", darker sides of life (personally, I prefer film to seeing the same IRL) on screen, those puppies seem a little more important, and the rainbows a little more magical. /

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    That's crazy talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast