View Poll Results: Do you have surround sound?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

6 26.09%
  • Pro Logic (analog)

4 17.39%
  • Dolby Digital 5.1

12 52.17%
  • DTS-ES

5 21.74%
  • Dolby Digital IIx/z or Plus

6 26.09%
  • DTS Master Audio

5 21.74%
  • DTS Neo:X

2 8.70%
  • Other- please specify in thread

3 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have surround sound?

anigav's Avatar Dicks-lexic
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Yes.
    +1

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by anigav View Post
    Yes.
    +1
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    I have a couple, though I'd never share them with anyone ever. I don't think I've ever even joked about it, likely because it's too obscure to wiggle into conversation.
    Oh come on, you can trust us. We'd never mock you mercilessly every day from this day forward, including after you decided you could not take the relentless bombardment and fled the site. :angel:

And you could even put them in spoiler tags for privacy...

I think another component of what I was thinking was perhaps the internet and its vast riches of utter perversion helping to reveal something(s) that may not have been recognized as a fetish before. And maybe someone with a true fetish cannot help but recognize their fixation, and don't need that, "Wow, this is the greatest thing EVAR!!!" moment when they receive that Ariel and Jasmine lesbo scene in their email.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 04-12-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anigav View Post

+1
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    I have a couple, though I'd never share them with anyone ever. I don't think I've ever even joked about it, likely because it's too obscure to wiggle into conversation.
    Oh come on, you can trust us. We'd never mock you mercilessly every day from this day forward, including after you decided you could not take the relentless bombardment and fled the site. :angel:

And you could even put them in spoiler tags for privacy...

I think another component of what I was thinking was perhaps the internet and its vast riches of utter perversion helping to reveal something(s) that may not have been recognized as a fetish before. And maybe someone with a true fetish cannot help but recognize their fixation, and don't need that, "Wow, this is the greatest thing EVAR!!!" moment when they receive that Ariel and Jasmine lesbo scene in their email.
    I wouldn't share them with a deaf dying psychologist, and I think I'd be overestimating everyone's talents if I thought I would be mocked for them. The internet has yet to provide any insight or competition to true sexual oddities. How do I say it... the internet is superficial. Looks like some guy named Dave W owns superfacial, the dot com domain.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

Good choice!

I have had an Onkyo TX-NR807 in my living room for the past couple years, and have been so impressed with it (paired with Polk Monitor 60's, CS2, and 4X 30's and a budget Velodyne sub) that I just now replaced my Lexicon DC-1 in my media room with an Onkyo TX-NR809. In fact, my project for the night is to finish hooking it all up. I'm actually pretty darn excited to try it out. The Lexicon's only downfall is its lack of DTS- and that is a BIG issue when it comes to downloading movies that may, or may not, be marked as having that as a sole sound track... I solved the deficiency of HDMI switching with an external auto switch, and ran that into a Logitech Revue.
    Nice setup man. I wanted to get the network ready Onkyos when I was looking for one but they were near $1000 at the time. I always kick myself for getting rid of my full range Infinitys with 8" drivers. They were big but they were damn good speakers, a moment of insanity I guess. They would of been great front speakers. How is that Velodyne working for ya? Back in the day, Circuit City had some of those and they sounded, to me at least, too muffled with the bass especially for the price they wanted for a 12". SVsubs were slightly cheaper but had a more crisper sounding bass imo so I went with them instead. Plus the Svsubs have a greater range and the model I have hits around 19hz. Wish I could of gotten the Ultra series though. I would of loved having around a 12hz sub. Definitely would of pissed off the neighbors with that beast. But about $3000 at the time, it was a little out of my price range.

What kind of flicks do you watch with your setup? I like my shit loud. If they aint blowing shit up or tossing grenades, I don't feel like it is much of a movie. Ohh the wife does hate me...
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I used to have somewhat of surround in my bedroom. Had the TV on the top of the armoire. Two Sony tower speakers on either side with two small satellite speakers, one on each bedside table. Not really surround but it was great to lay in bed and watch movies with. After we changed up the room, it didn't really fit well, so now all that remains plugged in is the two towers.

Sony sa-va15
    Last edited by Skiz; 04-13-2012 at 01:47 AM.

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I used to have somewhat of surround in my bedroom. Had the TV on the top of the armoire. Two Sony tower speakers on either side with two small satellite speakers, one on each bedside table. Not really surround but it was great to lay in bed and watch movies with. After we changed up the room, it didn't really fit well, so now all that remains plugged in is the two towers.

Sony sa-va15
    I forgot about this fred, but I have a minimalist bedroom surround system. Works for me though. Atom PC running XBMC with an optical audio output to a logitech Z5400 5.1 Multimedia speaker system, it's an excellent sized system for a bedroom. TV is a Samsung 32" LCD.

Last edited by Artemis; 04-19-2012 at 09:14 PM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Apologies for the near-abandonment of this thread...

Technology is fantastic in that quality gets better, and the price goes down as it does. Who can't get happy about that?

I can say that I have now gotten my new Onkyo hooked up in place of the old Lexicon DC-1, and the sound is NOT lacking in any way. I will say, though that the Lexicon earned its keep over the past 15 years (I bought it about 11-12 years ago) by being sooo far ahead of other technology at the time. The sound is VERY comparable (I am actually using the pre-outs for each of the 7 channels (4 separate amps) ) between the two. Which is great for me since I replaced the Lex out of "need" for DTS.

All in all, I am absolutely floored at what can be had during current model year close-out sales on Amazon/Newegg, etc. for $700. In addition to DTS, the receiver handles any kind of input/output you would care to make part of your sound system. HDMI switching is beyond transparent- video signals are actually improved by sending them through the unit. Upscaling is done in the background, and the rec has the capabilities for 3D as well as upscaling to 4k (which is roughly 4x the resolution of 1080p, and not doable by any current video devices) which is a great indicator of how effortlessly signals/files can be upscaled without artifacts.

As for the Velodyne (I mentioned a 12") earlier- I am happy with it as a behind the living room television set-it-and-forget-it kind of sub. It is there, it produces enough bass to compliment the Polk towers (also another Newegg super deal), and give very satisfying sound with the older 807 Onkyo I have. Nice pairing without digging in too deep.

I do have a Velodyne F1800II sub (yeah, that's 18", baby...) in the media room, but sadly it has been waiting (not a top priority) to get its amp replaced as a result of my not having it connected to a surge protector. Live and learn, right?

Thanks for the responses to my poll. Interesting spectrum tilted towards 5.1, it seems. DTS is nice, but is not absolutely necessary if one doesn't mind checking each movie's sound channels before downloading. And, honestly, that did become enough of a PITA to set aside my still very well running Lex. It is quite annoying to take the family to the media room for , say, Harry Potter only to find that Dumbledore is mute 3 minutes into the show... :sigh:
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    No but I really want to install surround sound in my house. Anyone know a reliable brand?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    yes .have surround sound in my house.......its the best ..........sony sistem..........

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by DarioMic View Post
    yes .have surround sound in my house.......its the best ..........sony sistem..........
    of course sony is the best.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast