Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NZBs(dot)ORG subsitutes - sites that use Newznab

newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by heiska View Post
    BTW this whole "we're shutting down" "nah, just kidding" thing was probably a great well-deserved donation push for project Newznab plus.
    I never got the impression that the owner was in it for money. NZBs.org was always 100% free -year after year- with no advertising and no donations ever accepted. I'm guessing that site hosting alone might have cost a few hundred dollars a month (possibly more) and that's got to add up to a lot of money out of the owner's own pocket considering all the years that the site has been up. And that's not even counting all the hours spent developing the auto-indexer software, which must have been considerable.

My guess is that the widespread emotional response (as if like a death in the family) to the closing might have caused a change of heart after seeing so many grieving people. Several members even offered to buy the site.

Newznab is not the same as NZBs.org. Newznab is the automatic usenet indexing application based on the code that runs nzbs.org. They "sell" the Plus version of newznab for >=$10.
    That brings up another issue: which of the Newznab sites listed above are using the "Plus" version?
    Last edited by zot; 04-17-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    I never got the impression that the owner was in it for money. NZBs.org was always 100% free -year after year- with no advertising and no donations ever accepted. I'm guessing that site hosting alone might have cost a few hundred dollars a month (possibly more) and that's got to add up to a lot of money out of the owner's own pocket considering all the years that the site has been up. And that's not even counting all the hours spent developing the auto-indexer software, which must have been considerable.

My guess is that the widespread emotional response (as if like a death in the family) to the closing might have caused a change of heart after seeing so many grieving people. Several members even offered to buy the site.
    Correlation does not imply causation, bro.

Newznab is not the same as NZBs.org. Newznab is the automatic usenet indexing application based on the code that runs nzbs.org. They "sell" the Plus version of newznab for >=$10.
    That being up another issue: which of the Newznab sites listed above are using the "Plus" version?
    One would assume they would upgrade when backfilling 1300+ days and approaching the one million NZB limit of the free version. Or people could be lazy and not willing to re-invent the 700+ regexes necessary to run a successful auto indexer? And then there are the other bells and whistles.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post

Who would donate if he knew that the site will close for certain ?
    oh my mistake then , you have a point there because some members were already using newznab in order to have their personal alternative to nzbs.org

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    newsgroupie
    BTW this whole "we're shutting down" "nah, just kidding" thing was probably a great well-deserved donation push for project Newznab plus.

Correlation does not imply causation, bro.
    I'm probably a lot less trusting than the average person. I've seen my share of deceptive website owners over the years, and I'd have a hard time counting all the times I've said (or thought) "I told you so" to people who ended up feeling cheated when they found out that their labor and money they were solicited for and donated to help a site stay afloat was in reality making the owner a killing. I've seen it happen again and again.

Even in the 'physical world' more than one person I've known, who started his own business, who I helped out, somewhat feeling sorry for him because he was always broke and on the verge of bankruptcy (or so it seemed) ... then he sells the company a few years later and makes out like a bandit. I was somewhat glad to see that the Huffington Post, which was completely built on donated labor, got sued by its donors after the company was sold for a third of a billion dollars and they got not one penny of it. (it's not that I'm a complete pessimist; I've donated money and time (as a forum mod/file releaser) to sites which I've even suspected the owner not telling the whole truth about finances, just because the site was something I liked and wanted to succeed)

In contrast, NZBs.org has to my knowledge never asked anyone for financial or free labor donations (such as NZB uploaders, forum moderators, etc.) or help with web hosting or anything else. At the very worst, NZBs.org might have been strictly a test site for a commercial product. I would doubt that, since all the server-software test sites I've ever used have had a lot of downtime (it's no fun waiting ages for email) and NZBs.org had very little if any downtime.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Nzbs.org is pushing the new beta. I don't really like it. Its like all the other newsnab sites. Nzbs layout is the best for me. Oh well though. I'm sure they will eventually change over.

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    Usenet Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
    Nzbs.org is pushing the new beta. I don't really like it. Its like all the other newsnab sites. Nzbs layout is the best for me. Oh well though. I'm sure they will eventually change over.
    (On the beta site) Profile --> Edit --> Site Preferences; Template = Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Oddly, that same community you talk about, is the same that draws many people away from torrenting.

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
    You can change templates in your profile. I'm using the classic template in beta so it looks almost the same as the old site.

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Rogi's Avatar Full time pirate BT Rep: +1
    Just wish they would add a dark version of the classic template. I almost have to wear sunglasses for the white one, its that bright.

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogi View Post
    Just wish they would add a dark version of the classic template. I almost have to wear sunglasses for the white one, its that bright.
    There is a dark theme , just go through your profile settings

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogi View Post
    There is a dark theme , just go through your profile settings
    I think he's complaining about the lack of a dark template on the beta.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast