Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forgot password of XLSX file.. please help

Evelyn's Avatar กก ƃɯo ƃɯo ƃɯo BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    i don't know if this is relevant section to post this but im taking my chances.

I need to bypass the password for .xlsx file saved using office 2010. This is very important doc (contains classified important stuffs ) so i saved it using a password but now i forgot the password
    I can't use brute-force on it, as i know its a very strong password and it will take years to find my password in that file.
    I tried VBA method but those are meant for pre-2007 saved excel files, tried hex-edir but not able to find the DPB stings

please help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I know there's a tool which uses your GPU for brute forcing passwords, which is hundreds of times faster than what a CPU can do.
    I just don't remember where I read about that, but you can certainly find it on google in a couple of minutes.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Indeed GPU cracking is much faster. This program is apparently capable of doing so. Good luck if you try it, you're going to need it.

Off topic, but since we're talking about GPUs - is there a reliable and stable way of using video RAM as swap space, i.e. using it as "real" RAM? I have a GeForce with 512MB of memory, but I only play ADOM and (sometimes) GTA Vice City, so a few hundred megabytes of that could be better used to speed up my computer somewhat. I looked in Google but only found beta stuff, and for Linux.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Accent EXCEL Password Recovery saying 90+ days

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    No one said it'd be easy. In theory, brute force can crack anything given enough time, but unless you have a NSA supercomputer you should have more realistic expectations (specially since you claim to have used a very strong password).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
    If you had 2x HD6870 in crossfire, you would do that in a week or less.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    If you had 2x HD6870 in crossfire, you would do that in a week or less.
    weekss..... no...........
    Btw i had an older version in xls format. that have been hex-edited & opened .. it almost contained 75% of data so reworked & now saving without password for my next entire life.
    It seems all the fies have been corrupted in VBA part denying any password

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Or would you call that encryption instead ?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Btw i had an older version in xls format. that have been hex-edited & opened .. it almost contained 75% of data so reworked & now saving without password for my next entire life.
    It doesn't have to be like that if you need passwords for whatever reason. A simple way to create a secure password, think of one or more words.
    filesharingtalk
    Then you replace some letters with numbers.
    fil3sh4rin6t4lk
    Then you replace other letters with symbols.
    f!l3$h4r!n6t4lk
    And you can add some of them at the beginning and/or end to make it even more secure:
    |-f!l3$h4r!n6t4lk-|
    There you go, a secure password that's easier to remember. A middle point between "123456" and long random strings.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    newsgroupie
    ^^ It was a good trick 20 or 30 years ago, but the problem is that these 'classic' letter-to-number substitutions are now well-known, and dictionary-attack methods have been employing them for a long time

Even Google is wise to this; search for "c0mput3r" and Google returns results for "computer"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast