Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which backup Software have this function ?

Question Mark

I know there is a lot of backup software out there but i don't know which one has the following function ( i am a beginner at computers ) , I want to reinstall windows 7 on my laptop

Is there a backup software that allows me to back up all my software and when i have finish installing windows 7 i just have to install the backup software and reinstall all my software all at one go and not one by one

Any help will be great

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    That's not going to be easy for software to do. Registry entries & custom *.dll files wouldn't be spotted easily, unless the uninstall utility instructions can be read & interpreted by the program.

Windows 7 does have Windows Easy Transfer (Start-Orb>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Windows Easy Transfer) for this purpose but it doesn't copy over program installs. If they save their data and user files in the usual place (in your standard user profile directories) then everything should be set up how you like once the program is installed on the new setup.
    I haven't used the one in Win7 but I did use the older one in Vista, which did prompt me to install some programs once it had finished - though not all of them.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    you can check out http://www.driver-soft.com/ drivergenius pro
    you can back up all your drivers and applications before re-installing your system
    after you've finished re-installing Windows7 use the backup file created by drivergenius to restore all your applications and drivers

from softpedia
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...essional.shtml
    http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/win...ew-78437.shtml
    The backup function is the one that impressed us the most during our test because it automatically scans the computer and lets you choose from multiple backup types, such as ZIP archive, self-extracting archive and an installer.

This way, you can easily restore the drivers even if Driver Genius Professional is not installed on the computer anymore, which is great especially when having to reinstall drivers on a fresh copy of Windows.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    Why not just use Paragon or Acronis? They do complete system backups, including the operating system.
    After you do the first backup, you can just do incremental backups, which only back up files/programs that have been added or changed.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    Why not just use Paragon or Acronis? They do complete system backups, including the operating system.
    After you do the first backup, you can just do incremental backups, which only back up files/programs that have been added or changed.
    the problem with that is he wants to restore the programs after re-installing Windows7
    even though it is possible to make incremental/differential backup on Paragon/Acronis, restoring an inc/diff backup will restore the base image first

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    If he is reinstalling the same software why not just image Windows straight after everything has been installed. Thats if he needs a very clean image. If that does not matter just take an image as it exists now.

Normally for myself I Image it straight after instaling Windows. Then again after installing basic software. Then again after time activated stuff like anti- virus.

Come recovery time I have the choice of three.

Usually image the faulty windows as well. Always something there that is not backed up. I can recover that bit of data later.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Drivergenuis Pro is interesting... didn't realise it did application install backups...

As for imaging Windows... He intends to re-install Windows, presumably due to problems/viruses/malware etc., so what's the point of imaging it if he wants it 'clean'?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Clean as in a brand new install without the registry full of old / bloated entries from previously installed software/ apps. Rather than virus.

As for Driver Magician . It is more Windows and apps drivers than the apps themselves.Like for a printer / scanner.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Wow so much help from a lot of people here , Thanks guy

I know what to do now but any more suggestion will be great

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    this is very helpful. I never knew these good utilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast