Thread: How too set p 2 isp,s too run at the same time on a pc?

top25's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Hi all i am trying to figure this out because i currently have verizon dsl 3Mb/784Kb and want to get optonline which is cable at 10Mb/1Mb.The reason i need 2 isp's is because cable caps the upload speed so it's just for show so i would like to just use them for the 10down.Then use the verizon 88Kbytes up too seed my torrents and so on since this line will not have any download traffic i should max that connection especially since i am very close too the office.I have 2 Nics they are Netgear GA311 Gigabit Adapter,so if someone can help me figure out how to set this up and control which internet connection is doing what plz help thanks.
    Last edited by top25; 01-05-2006 at 12:40 PM.
    http://fileserver2.jpghosting.com/images/fscbarpk2rh0_d8d89c48052201c26a69c381396e9950.png

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Using 2 nics is no problem, just connect them up. However, forcing traffic to use one nic instead of the other is going to be very difficult.

The only way I can think to do it is to install two pieces of proxy software, and tell them to use just one nic each. You would then need 2 different pieces of filesharing software using different ports, and direct each one to a different proxy. Now you can use one filesharing program for downloading and the other for uploading.

That's the theory, how well it will work in practice is anyone's guess.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thank you lynx for the info/instructions and i will look into getting this too work.
    http://fileserver2.jpghosting.com/images/fscbarpk2rh0_d8d89c48052201c26a69c381396e9950.png

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    optonline is now at 15Mb down and 2 Mb up. Why pay for both? That's ridiculous....unless you just have money to burn.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by top25
    The reason i need 2 isp's is because cable caps the upload speed so it's just for show so i would like to just use them for the 10down
    @ backlash as you can see your question was already answered in my first post if you don't believe that they cap there users just go too www.dslreports.com
    and see the huge threads that are dedicated too this problem.Furthermore 10/2 is not availible to everyone right now the rep has told me it will be available by the 2nd quarter of 2006 which that will be capped aswell so the 2mb upload speed is just for show for heavy bittorent users like me.I will however be getting optonline boost when that becomes available it is 30/2 and i can have a webserver and email server so then i should be able to use the upload speed.