Thread: RSS advice

One of my favorite things about using newgroups is the RSS function, but I've been having some problems since x264 became standard for TV shows over XVID. I download a lot of TV shows, some in HD and some in SD. Comedies, for example, are fine to watch in SD, but I like to watch big budget shows in HD. Before I would have my newsreader (Alt.Binz) look for "x264" if I wanted to download the HD version and "xvid" if I wanted to download the SD version, using the feed from nzbs.org. Now that HD and SD files are both x264, I'm not sure what to do.

Lets compare last nights episode of Revenge, for example.

The HD version is listed as Revenge.S01E18.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION
    The SD version is listed as Revenge.S01E18.HDTV.x264-LOL

Currently I have my newsreader looking for shows like this...

*TV.SHOW.NAME*720p*

Which means that I am only downloading the 720p version. If I replaced *720p* with *x264* I would get both versions. If I wanted to download the SD version only though, I'm not sure what I would do. The only thing included in the SD version that isn't included in the HD version is the different group name, but sometimes different groups release different episodes, or the same group will release the HD version and the SD version. Can anyone think of a solution to this? Am I being really stupid, and there is an obvious answer to this that I'm not seeing. Thanks for the help!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    The nzbs.org beta has a TV-SD category which includes both xvid and SD x264 versions.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Thanks, I'll have a look at that. But the problem with that is I would rather download SD x264 files over XVID because the file size is smaller and the quality is much better. There are about 5 or 6 shows that I would want to get is HD, and the rest I'm fine downloading in SD x264, but I'm not sure how I can do that without either downloading 2 versions of each show, or having to get the HD ones manually each week.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Then filter *TV.SHOW.NAME*x264* on the TV-SD category for whatever SD x264 you want...

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    newsgroupie
    The main thing that I look at is file size. Most any movie that is under 700MB is going to be either fake or a h264 std def. Also try adding "MP4" or "ipod" as search terms, even though these releases are fairly rare.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    It's a little tedious, but you could use the deny switch to "block" the 720p version for each show.

eg

revenge.s01e*x264* | A
    revenge.s01e*720p* | D

Also, ask for rdl to implement ? as a single char wildcard in the filter syntax

nwpsys