Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The Litmus strop

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    The litmus strip, it's a little strip of paper with a varied composition of dyes adsorbed onto it. The mixture of dyes take on a different color depending on how protonated they are, thus correlates directly with [H+] and pH in fashion. This allows you to safely observe a qualitative phenomenon to determine if an aqueous solution is acidic or basic, and its approximate strength of H+ or H3O+ concentration. This can also be accomplished by adding the questionable solution into a litmus solution.

That is the etymological meaning behind a litmus test, as if you didn't already know. The figurative litmus test being a method in which to evaluate one's character.

There are other ways to test acidity, you could start dumping a bunch of neutral water or baking soda into it to see what happens. If available, you could also dump a strong base or acid into it. This could lead to violent and dangerous thermodynamic behavior, thus is an ill-advised manner to test a solution's acidity.

I think what we do here at FST with new members is throw acid in their face and wait to see what happens. Just like with wet chemistry, it's more fun but can cause a rather abhorrent reaction. If the person was neutral, nothing much of interest would happen as they dilute the stimulus.

Chemistry for thought.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    No Mary, what you do here is bully people until they fuck off into the distance and resolve to never bother posting here again. You do it for your and your mates amusement, because you derive pleasure from the reactions of those you offend and/or hurt. When you haven't got anyone to bully "the moderator bully" (<- that's you manker) goes and hunts around the board looking for a 'likely candidate' and then moves that persons thread from wherever it is on FST to here. In the hopes that the OP will follow and you'll all get to post more personally abusive statements at him/her, so that you can all amuse yourselves with the reaction. You'll be verbally abusive about the person themself, about that persons loved ones, you'll wander around the internet trying to track down and steal pictures of that person so you can post them with nasty comments about the person. Hunting around Facebook and the like, etc. etc. You figure that as you're all safely tucked away behind the anonymity of your keyboards you can be as nasty and abusive as you like, because there will/can never be any repercussions.

Still if we're doing analogies...

Sooner or later all you bully type people come up against someone who doesn't walk away from bullies, someone who won't cower from them. You push and push that person until they eventually have no option other than to smack you down, and then smash your face against the sidewalk/pavement. <- That was the analogy bit
    Last edited by StillMe; 04-28-2012 at 12:54 AM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMe View Post
    No Mary, what you do here is bully people until they fuck off into the distance and resolve to never bother posting here again. You do it for your and your mates amusement, because you derive pleasure from the reactions of those you offend and/or hurt. When you haven't got anyone to bully "the moderator bully" (<- that's you manker) goes and hunts around the board looking for a 'likely candidate' and then moves that persons thread from wherever it is on FST to here. In the hopes that the OP will follow and you'll all get to post more personally abusive statements at him/her, so that you can all amuse yourselves with the reaction. You'll be verbally abusive about the person themself, about that persons loved ones, you'll wander around the internet trying to track down and steal pictures of that person so you can post them with nasty comments about the person. Hunting around Facebook and the like, etc. etc. You figure that as you're all safely tucked away behind the anonymity of your keyboards you can be as nasty and abusive as you like, because there will/can never be any repercussions.

Sooner or later all you bully type people come up against someone who doesn't walk away from bullies, someone who won't cower from them. You push and push that person until they eventually have no option other than to smack you down, and then smash your face against the sidewalk/pavement. <- That was the analogy bit
    As this was a rerun that has been playing on continuous loop(y), I didn't actually read your above post. However, it still managed to portray you as a delusional idiot within the 5 words I did read. I'm sure that was manker's fault as he does portray you as a buffoon.

Score another point for the yet defeated scored upon internet phenom, manker.

And, to make your analogy work properly the following scenario would have to play out:

A group of guys are laughing and talking among themselves in a public park. Out of nowhere, a wandering village idiot happens upon the group and mutters something long-winded, scattered, and loud. The group of guys point and laugh at the buffoon. The spastic, feeling upset that he was not able to join in with the group begins to flail his arms around and urinate. These guys, perhaps having seen too many idiots in their lives before, mock the imbecile until he begins to get red in the face and biting himself on the hand. It begins to bleed. With all of this commotion, other park patrons take note. They stop what they are doing, and several try to calm the fool. Others cannot help but laugh at the silly, pathetic gimp. It may not be right, but everyone is there to have fun, so they join in. This only infuriates the retard to no end. He has lost all sense of composure at this point- he has soaked the entire crotch and inside of the legs of his denim jeans. His hand has a clear, half-moon shape that is nearly bitten through and will require stitches to stop the torrent of blood that is running off the fingers. Out of sheer frustration, the mentalist begins smashing his own face into the sidewalk in front of the men. They wince, but still laugh to each other because they have rarely seen such an over-the-top response from their mindless mockery.

Much to the surprise of everyone, the same scenario plays out nearly every day. In fact, there have been reports of the idiot being seen mumbling to people across the entire town, and even creating his own "park" (made of sticks, rocks, and a couple of stolen shopping carts) where he recreated the events all by himself. *EDIT* But in his "park", he somehow bested the men.

/analogy.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 04-28-2012 at 03:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Lounge   -   #4

As long as my opening was, I still managed to say what you said in fewer words. The problem is you're fluffing your posts with insane inane babble. Anyways, you don't quite know what an analogy is.

I don't know what it's like to be in your insecure position, to feel like there is some progress to be made by making ineffectual physical threats. I think we've all planned a murder now and then, but you're not the one that ruffles my feathers. I shouldn't even be the one who ruffles your feathers, but you have gravely misplaced your priorities (that is, on your reputation). By doing so, you've entangled yourself so deep that something that should only be an afterthought has become a series of broad strokes on your life's tapestry.

I may be safely tucked away from your stalking habits Dave, but the distance isn't necessary. I'm not as violent as I'd like to be, as people tend to disappointingly back the fuck off in every instance I entertained the scenario. But for you Dave, I would weep at the sheer fruitlessness of your endeavors as I wrapped you into a little pretzel. I'm in a sad mood just picturing it.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3

As to the analogy bit, my sport was powerlifting, I was a representative for my region (I suppose county would be the closest for you and state for merkins), I spend my days mostly working with horses, some of them not the best mannered so if you can stand the air fare I'm sure I wouldn't be that hard to find, but you had better bring a gun because I assure you the only person getting a 'smackdown' if we ever meet is you. This isn't a keyboard warrior speaking, this is someone who confidently works out in the country daily and enjoys it so hop a jet Dave, I'm here any time....
    Last edited by Artemis; 04-28-2012 at 08:12 AM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Lounge   -   #6
    That was just Dave raising the analogy level, Art.

thoughts regarding the thoughts of him flying to the southern hemisphere to get his ass stomped. There are probably more enjoyable ways for him to spend that "exceptional" raise of his.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    That was just Dave raising the analogy level, Art.

thoughts regarding the thoughts of him flying to the southern hemisphere to get his ass stomped. There are probably more enjoyable ways for him to spend that "exceptional" raise of his.
    I'd enjoy it though

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

8. Lounge   -   #8
    That's another movie right there, Dave jetsetting the continents and islands, picking fights and getting his ass kicked. Could even be a trilogy: The Bored Vanity, The Bored Ultimatum, The Bored Inferiority. He keeps getting his bats and machetes taken at the gates, acquires miniaturized ones on his arrival as they're placed in small footlockers.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Break him like a feisty pony, and send him home a gelding.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    That's another movie right there, Dave jetsetting the continents and islands, picking fights and getting his ass kicked. Could even be a trilogy: The Bored Vanity, The Bored Ultimatum, The Bored Inferiority. He keeps getting his bats and machetes taken at the gates, acquires miniaturized ones on his arrival as they're placed in small footlockers.
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...ell-crowe-show

Russel Crow Dave's Fightin' Around the World...

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast