Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you GearHead, and suck my ballz you fortune cookie

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I bought this mini wireless keyboard with a touchpad at the store for use with my HTPC so that I could finally get around to updating a shit load of packages as well as Flash and XBMC. It's a bit of an odd feeling to shit on this product, as I simultaneously experienced the greatest fluke of fortune I could imagine.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Touch.../dp/B003GU1028

Where did I get lucky?

Well, as I predicted, all of my lirc remote mappings (so that my Harmony remote works perfectly with XBMC) got totally fucked and it took me ages through trial and error to get it all back up to speed, and even better than before. I started doing all of my long overdue updates and worked through all of the troubleshooting, overall it took me 6 hours. The keyboard worked pretty fucking decently through all those 6 hours. Just as I finished typing out my last XML, saving it, testing XBMC, and breathing a sigh of accomplished relief, the fucking thing died.

What are the chances that it would die at the very second I no longer needed it? Anyways it goes back to the store later today. I never heard of Gear Head, who are these guys? I didn't find these Amazon reviews until after the frakkin' toaster gave out. Seriously, they're products basically work for hours until they die.

Don't buy anything "Gear Head" folks.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    I'll burn that into my memory. The default receiver for XBMC is the Microsoft e-home infra-red receiver so if you happen to have that particular USB device + any MCE remote then they work without any key mapping and what is better the microsoft hometheater keyboard does too. The only irritating thing about the Microsoft keyoard is it uses a puck style device for cursor control, but it is a 3 way device: keyboard/mouse/remote: http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/mi...-31485239.html and then after babbling about it, it is no longer manufactured but I have two of them, so my XBMC needs are covered, and they haven't shit themselves in years, only the batteries, ah well..........
    Last edited by Artemis; 04-21-2012 at 08:25 AM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I was looking for the tiny ones since I'll hardly ever use it (but if I wanted to, I could just go snatch it up off the entertainment center). I have been eying the Logitech diNovo Mini
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-0.../dp/B0011FOOI2

I've refrained on account that it seems like a ridiculous price.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    I was looking for the tiny ones since I'll hardly ever use it (but if I wanted to, I could just go snatch it up off the entertainment center). I have been eying the Logitech diNovo Mini
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-0.../dp/B0011FOOI2

I've refrained on account that it seems like a ridiculous price.
    You know I've always lovingly eyed that bit of kit myself for the same reason, it's small, but for something I hardly ever use it is an even more insane price here at the ass end of the world. I still want one though.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    They're price locked like a graphing calculator, for serious.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    So my new replacement keyboard is the SMK-Link Wireless Ultra mini touchpad. I've had it for a little while now, and it's been working out pretty great. Sometimes I do get repeated key presses and lagged touchpad response, usually when the line of site is blocked. Other than that, much better than using the other one I had. The left and right clicks are index finger bumpers on the top, much like a video console controller. Once you get used to it, it's pretty seamless.

I wanted to post a Newegg link for Art, but they don't have a product listing
    So here's an Amazon one and TigerDirect one instead.

http://www.amazon.com/SMK-Link-Wirel...dp/B005BZNE2U/
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8363&CatId=537

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    They're price locked like a graphing calculator, for serious.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16844101001
    This came out in 1999. Still costs over $100 to buy this calculator
    Last edited by mjmacky; 05-01-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I have been using this for a while now (few months), and absolutely love it for what it is. I struggled to find a decently priced HTPC remote/keyboard for several years. This one does everything I need, and runs $30.

http://www.amazon.com/CE-Compass-Wir...ref=pd_sim_e_4

EDIT- BTW, this is the page/company I ordered from. There are similar products (I'm not sure if it has been "duplicated"), but I can say THIS is where I ordered from, and I wouldn't blink to buy a second one of these.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 05-01-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks for the newegg link there mj, regarding my previous outburst I usually just check a local supplier anyway, but I digress, I am going to let my electronics/home computer upgrade hobby slush fund replenish itself a bit (the actual amount spent is slightly different to the edited version for general consumption - she's Scottish, it's better that way), and buy some more hard drive space in a hurry and also a do an upgrade on the home theater PC.
    Last edited by Artemis; 05-02-2012 at 06:55 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    In my experience my favorite drug combined with my favorite underage 'friend' helps me forget whatever it was i was upset over.

Just thought I'd say...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    In my experience my favorite drug combined with my favorite underage 'friend' helps me forget whatever it was i was upset over.

Just thought I'd say...
    Where the fuck do you think you are right now? You need your stomach pumped? You gonna be alright buddy?

Aside: "yeah, I just found him wandering here, he says he's looking for his keys but he lives at least a few miles from here. I'm only an acquaintance, but I don't think he knows anyone else in this neighborhood. He's a good guy, so if you could just make sure he gets to a hospital or at least home safely."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast