Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The classics

Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Although I enjoy *some new movies that are coming out, there seems to be something quintessentially missing from many of them. The films rely on the 'effect' to sell the movie it is the special effects + the soundtrack carefully edited together in post production that are what are being sold as a rather sanitised manufactured package in alot of cases and some cases rely almost entirely on computer generated graphics. In the middle of this mix character development has disappeared, you don't get to empathise as much with your character on screen or get to know them, which I miss, and you can most graphically understand this by watching remakes and then understanding how movie making has changed.

The point of this thread is I have a love of old movies as well, in particular my favorite actor being Humphrey Bogart, so hopefully this could be a thread where the actors acted, (although I have seen some pretty awful old movies too) there was nary a CGI scene in sight, and the pacing of the movies was somewhat less psychotic.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Most of my favorite movies seem to fall within the 90s. Could have something to do with that's when I payed most attention to them, but I think there's something else at play. Just enough cinematography to prevent awkward suspensions of reality, but decent enough acting and story to sell the package to me. Obviously I'm specifically talking about films that aren't completely independent of special effects. The ones that are completely independent of it are either really good or pretty boring/shitty.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    CGI has always been an integral part of Hollywood films. The 30's and 40's just provided us with artisans who were so adept at their crafts that their work is never noticed. Bogart, for one, was entirely grotesque to look at, but had such an unusual voice that effects were added to make him appear less hideous, and more human-like. Some of his films had to be shot in B&W just to reduce costs for all of the touch-ups that needed to be preformed.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    I'll miss you in this thread then, truly I will.... Believe it or not there is actually a whole world of opinion outside of your own. I adore classic Sci-Fi just to see what was 'future tech' back then and find plot driven dramas which involve only a few actors like the original Failsafe or The Bedford Incident. There have been many remakes of movies that I have both read the original books and enjoyed the original movie for instance Flight of the Phoenix and the Andromeda Strain where the remakes are truly abyssmal.

So unlike you, this thread is for those who do enjoy those earlier movies.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Who the fuck you talking to Artie? Are you getting someone banned?

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    CGI has always been an integral part of Hollywood films. The 30's and 40's just provided us with artisans who were so adept at their crafts that their work is never noticed. Bogart, for one, was entirely grotesque to look at, but had such an unusual voice that effects were added to make him appear less hideous, and more human-like. Some of his films had to be shot in B&W just to reduce costs for all of the touch-ups that needed to be preformed.
    CGI refers to Computer Generated Images. In the good old bad old days they used matte paintings as backdrop scenes, before CGI became all the rage, this of course was a long time consuming process (much like CGI production has become today go figure).
    As for Humpty Gokart he also drank like a fish, he was constantly pissed on very, very expensive whiskey, he actually said it improved his acting.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Who the fuck you talking to Artie? Are you getting someone banned?
    I was talking to you, mbm poasted in the meantime, but this was the start of a serious thread and once again you told us you don't like these kind of movies so I said I would miss you.....
    Last edited by Artemis; 05-14-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I was talking to you, mbm poasted in the meantime, but this was the start of a serious thread and once again you told us you don't like these kind of movies so I said I would miss you.....
    I don't like much of anything, but when has that ever shut me up?

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'll miss you in this thread then, truly I will.... Believe it or not there is actually a whole world of opinion outside of your own. I adore classic Sci-Fi just to see what was 'future tech' back then and find plot driven dramas which involve only a few actors like the original Failsafe or The Bedford Incident. There have been many remakes of movies that I have both read the original books and enjoyed the original movie for instance Flight of the Phoenix and the Andromeda Strain where the remakes are truly abyssmal.

So unlike you, this thread is for those who do enjoy those earlier movies.
    I'll post something less serious tomorrow when I presumably have more time but I thought one of the remakes of The Last Man on Earth ( aka I Am Legend) was spot on wot with Mark Dacascos wielding nunchucks and all.
    Btw that isn't just my opinion as I have a lot of statistical data to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Most of my favorite movies seem to fall within the 90s.
    We already get that you're a mouth breathing heathen,you don't have to continue to ram the idea down our throats.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 05-14-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    CGI refers to Computer Generated Images. In the good old bad old days they used matte paintings as backdrop scenes, before CGI became all the rage, this of course was a long time consuming process (much like CGI production has become today go figure).
    ORly.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    I know it was teaching my granny to suck eggs, but talk about a segue? Where do you get Humphrey Bogart was an ugly troll from modern special effects? So I took the opportunity to be a condescending prat in my own inimitable style. I sometimes enjoy stating the obvious when people go haring off the reservation for simply that reason, you made it sound from your post that Hollywood had always used CGI.... a bit of an O RLY moment for me, hence ze painful explanation, but I also threw in an interesting analogy.
    It used to take months to do the matte paintings for movie backdrops, now it takes years to do those same backdrops with computers in some cases.....better backdrops admittedly but still......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast