Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2431323334

Thread: The catch-all movie/TV comment thread .

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Been waiting a few weeks to start True Detective this season. Prob gonna binge it in two sittings.

Gonna watch Ballers too when I get some time. Looks tits but it has The Rock in it and I'm pretty sure everything he's ever done has been "B" level shite, so not getting my hopes up.

I might enjoy a spin off show with Ari Gold from Entourage tho.

yo

2. Movies & TV   -   #332
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Been waiting a few weeks to start True Detective this season. Prob gonna binge it in two sittings.

Gonna watch Ballers too when I get some time. Looks tits but it has The Rock in it and I'm pretty sure everything he's ever done has been "B" level shite, so not getting my hopes up.

I might enjoy a spin off show with Ari Gold from Entourage tho.
    Colin Farrell is good and Raquel McAdams is OK if only because she playing the strong sexy female cop thing.
    As you'd expect , Taylor Kitsch is underwhelming but the truly bad thing is Vince Vaughan who thinks he's doing King Lear or something.
    The story,such as it is so far is interesting in a Raymond Chandler, depressing as fuck sort of way.

They're sort of endanger of the atmosphere becoming the plot in place of an actual plot though.

Ballers is decent if only for the Rock who is the single likable character in the entire cast.

There is also The Brink which I'm hoping will end up actually going somewhere other than Jack black running around being annoying. Seriously if you want a mix of comedy and politics, Veep is like forty times better.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I wasn't familiar with the term "high concept", but it is a good one to know. Look at the success of Lost, and all of the wonderful network tricks we've seen since- like half-seasons, and 3 episodes followed by repeats for 6 weeks, then 3 more episodes (while taking a week off for a national holiday, of course...

We were quite intrigued with The Hatch, and the number sequence, and Sawyer's dark past, then the other members on the other island...

Don't underestimate viewers' ability to get suckered in to lame, pointless stories.
    Network executives like high concept because it's easy to pitch.

Scorpion,it's about this group of misfit geniuses see, who go around saving the World because they're smarter than anyone.
    Fill in the blanks with a bunch of stereotypical characters and a bunch of bland uninspired but comfortably familiar stories and you're go to go.

I planned to start over from the beginning.
    Thing about Penny Dreadful beyond the creator having planned out how the entire series will play out beforehand so everything feeds on itself, is that it understands that most every monster is born of tragedy.So with the revulsion there's also always a tinge of sympathy accompanying it.
    Conflict is the basis of drama.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 06-30-2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #333
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Raquel McAdams is the strong sexy female cop
    She looks damn good in this role, tbh.

Vince Vaughan who thinks he's doing King Lear or something.
    Not too bad a description, but I'm glad to see him staying away from his chummy buddy schtick for once.

Scorpion,it's about this group of misfit geniuses see, who go around saving the World because they're smarter than anyone.
    The premise sounded good, then I learned it was a puffed-up vanity piece. Have not given it a second thought.

Thing about Penny Dreadful beyond the creator having planned out how the entire series will play out beforehand so everything feeds on itself, is that it understands that most every monster is born of tragedy.So with the revulsion there's also always a tinge of sympathy accompanying it.
    Conflict is the basis of drama.
    I don't think I gave it a true shot before. Eva Green has nice perfect tits, so there is no real risk of loss here...
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #334
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Veep. Has it gotten better? I watched the pilot episode and it was about as funny and interesting as a brick.

yo

5. Movies & TV   -   #335
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Primetime Emmy Awards 2014

Won
    Primetime Emmy
    Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Home Box Office (HBO)
    For playing "Vice President Selina Meyer".
    Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
    Tony Hale
    For playing "Gary Walsh".
    Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
    Anna Chlumsky
    Home Box Office (HBO)
    For playing "Amy Brookheimer".
    Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series
    Simon Blackwell
    Tony Roche
    Armando Iannucci
    For episode "Special Relationship"
    Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
    Gary Cole
    Home Box Office (HBO)
    For playing: "Kent Davison".

And they managed that without any of their characters being overtly gay.

To be honest though more the snickering , that was witty kind of comedy as opposed to the laugh out loud kind. They try for the absurd but I don't know if that's even possible with politics the way they are.

Vince Vaughan who thinks he's doing King Lear or something.
    Not too bad a description, but I'm glad to see him staying away from his chummy buddy schtick for once.
    Therein lies the problem.He's trying too hard to divest himself of that stuff and it shows .

The trick to good acting is to look like you're not acting.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-01-2015 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. Movies & TV   -   #336
    Gotta give Vaughn credit for that scene, though. He nailed acting like any other jerkoff you'd ever see in public that pushes you to the very edge of punching him in the face.

I suspect he's got years of fine-tuning that scene.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Movies & TV   -   #337
    Gotta give Vaughn credit for that scene, though. He nailed acting like any other jerkoff you'd ever see in public that pushes you to the very edge of punching him in the face.

I suspect he's got years of fine-tuning that scene.
    Every scene he's in just ruins my suspension of disbelief. And that's telling when Colin Farrell's bon mots are the show's hightlights.

Vaughn might have worked if cast along side Owen 'wow' Wilson. Or Jon Favreau, if he still acted.

8. Movies & TV   -   #338
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    Vaughn might have worked if cast along side Owen 'wow' Wilson. Or Jon Favreau, if he still acted.
    HBO tagline for that version: You get the show you deserve.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2431323334