Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Helium Kill Brain Cells?

Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Does Helium Kill Brain Cells?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Yes.

Which reminds me, you really need to lay off the helium.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    the question is too ambiguous to give correct answer...

truffles
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Lounge   -   #4
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Google has your answer - yes, if you inhale too much and suffocate hitting your head on a table
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

5. Lounge   -   #5
    muchspl2
    no it wont, but they pulled the toys r us ad
    because the giraffe inhaled it and they thought it promoted huffing

6. Lounge   -   #6
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by Monkeee@16 November 2003 - 16:17
    Does Helium Kill Brain Cells?&nbsp;
    why, are you lookin to kill a few?
    heres some suggestions:
    • PCP
    • Crack Cocaine
    • Meth Amphetamines
    • Weed
    • Alcohol
    thats just for starters...
    and much more efficient than helium...
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Any foreign substance you inhale into the lungs will have some kind of influence on the brain cells. As to them being killed off....dunno....cant remember what it was i was talking about....now......uhmmm....

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Does alcohol kill brain cells?

A: No, usually brain cells are not killed. For 16 years, Roberta J. Pentney, professor of anatomy and cell biology at the University at Buffalo, has studied chronic alcohol abuse and brain function. She concludes that alcohol does not kill brain cells but rather damages dendrites--the branched ends of nerve cells that bring messages into the cell.

Alcohol surely affects the brain, as we all know, causing slurred speech, clumsiness, slow reflexes, and a loss of inhibition. But alcohol doesn&#39;t destroy the brain cells to cause these problems.

Rather, alcohol dilates the channels in the cellular structure that regulates the flow of calcium. More calcium than normal flows into the cells and stimulates increased activity. Somehow this abnormal "turning on" of activity causes a loss of the end segments but not does not kill the whole cell. Losing the end segments, however, means losing incoming messages, which disrupts brain function.

The good news is: the damage to the brain cells, for the most part, isn&#39;t permanent. The brain repairs itself but the recovery process does change nerve-cell structure. So most function returns to normal but some does not.

Another researcher, working independently finds similar results: Alcohol doesn&#39;t kill brain cells; instead it slows communications. Richard Gross professor of medicine, chemistry, and molecular biology & pharmacology at Washington University in St. Louis, discovers alcohol combines with the brain&#39;s fatty acids and forms compounds called fatty-acid-ethyl esters. These compounds, in turn, change the flow of electric and chemical signals in the brain. A change in this flow alters how the brain works.

A molecule of fatty-acid-ethyl ester latches onto and enters a nerve cell. Inside the cell, the compound speeds up a release of potassium ions, which inhibits the release of neurotransmitters, and that slows down communication between cells.

A drink doesn&#39;t kill brain cells. It damages the way brain cells communicate and the damage is largely reversible.

Source: WonderQuest

An ai olwees sot ib waf de awboho wab dukked me wains...........

SoberYogi

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    thousands of brain cells die every day through general living, most are replaced by the new cells created. but the chances are its not gonna make you more stupid as you only use 10% of your brain to start with.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    •Balla•
    so if someone used 100% would they be the smartest?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast