Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anybody talk me down from buying a bicycle?

ckrit's Avatar Flagpole
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Also if you are going to get anything semi-decent be aware that most come san pedals so factor in plus at least $200 more for clipless pedals ( a can't live without thing for "serious" riding )and shoes to match.Plus a helmet.Plus gloves,shorts,jersey,at least a couple spare tubes and tire levers,possibly a bike computer,water bottle
    CRC is good for this sort of thing^

Also, there's a Jamis Ventura Comp in idle's test.
    ckrit d<rit c|<rit

Mi signotaur > urs.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    $1000 is a tricky price point for a "road" bike.The best you can hope for at that price is a decent frame with semi-shite components.Personally if I was you I'd use a bike shop as they will assemble and properly fit the bike for you.
    The only bike I ever had that wasn't a complete piece of shit was given to me. But after experiencing all the cheap bikes afterwards, I realized the world of difference (and should probably have taken extra precautions to keep it from getting stolen). Anyhow with the point I'm making, I've bought nothing but cheap department store bikes my whole adult life, and am finally calling it quits. I don't expect my first purchase to be my permanent purchase, feel me?

You ween a man off of Cheez Whiz, you don't just start feeding him Stilton. So that's why I'm starting on the low/mid end. I am interested in developing my appreciation, and through experiencing both the joys and grievances, I'll have a much better idea of what I want after a few years, if I'm interested.

The bike I linked to in the OP is on the list in your link, has the aluminum alloy frame and carbon composite fork (details in spoiler). However, you didn't name Jamis (no love for them?). On sale for $600, do you think it's good for the money?
    Spoiler: Show
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    You're determined to have a serious conversation about this aren't you... you lot ...

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ckrit View Post
    Also, if you're really short on space, a folding bike would be worth looking into, except that I don't see you getting anything lightweight and/or race-oriented (fex Dahon Vector x10 or x27, Tern Verge x30) sub $1000. Not this time of the year, anyway. Only mentioning folders cos I just got one I'm using back and forth to work, and it's been a lot of fun thus far, in a bmx sort of way, so I think I might be looking into something more srs along those lines next year.
    Space is an issue, which is why I looked into those. In the end, my thoughts were that I could get more bike pleasure for less money. That's why I've gone the route of hanging it from my ceiling.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    You're determined to have a serious conversation about this aren't you... you lot ...
    I can do both, but I remember Idol requesting that I ask him anything of consequence, look at him go.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

I don't expect my first purchase to be my permanent purchase, feel me?

You ween a man off of Cheez Whiz, you don't just start feeding him Stilton. So that's why I'm starting on the low/mid end. I am interested in developing my appreciation, and through experiencing both the joys and grievances, I'll have a much better idea of what I want after a few years, if I'm interested.

The bike I linked to in the OP is on the list in your link, has the aluminum alloy frame and carbon composite fork (details in spoiler). However, you didn't name Jamis (no love for them?). On sale for $600, do you think it's good for the money?
    Spoiler: Show
    I didn't mention Jamis since I've never been hands on with one .The brand's fine though if lacking the mass market appeal of the bigger companies.The good thing though that that also requires them to live more on performance and less on cache as reflected by the specs which are probably as good as you are gong to get at that price.
    The only real downside is the weight .22 lbs seems a tad heavy for anything other than a steel bike.Most people tend to put the money into the frame and upgrade components when and if they feel it's necessary. Anyway rotating weight is more important frame weight. Actually the motor is the most important component and you already have one of those.

Anyway like I said I'm not the best person to give you advice.Self acknowledged bike snob.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    ckrit's Avatar Flagpole
    I don't expect my first purchase to be my permanent purchase, feel me?
    If it turns out you really enjoy it, no one bike will ever be enough. True story.

I've made it a rule that I'm only allowed to buy one whole new bike per year, and I'm only allowed to build one from parts at a time.
    ckrit d<rit c|<rit

Mi signotaur > urs.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by ckrit View Post
    Also, if you're really short on space, a folding bike would be worth looking into, except that I don't see you getting anything lightweight and/or race-oriented (fex Dahon Vector x10 or x27, Tern Verge x30) sub $1000. Not this time of the year, anyway. Only mentioning folders cos I just got one I'm using back and forth to work, and it's been a lot of fun thus far, in a bmx sort of way, so I think I might be looking into something more srs along those lines next year.
    Space is an issue, which is why I looked into those. In the end, my thoughts were that I could get more bike pleasure for less money. That's why I've gone the route of hanging it from my ceiling.
    Is a car that comes in two halves ever going to be as good,functional or safe as an integrated one?
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Is a car that comes in two halves ever going to be as good,functional or safe as an integrated one?
    There's a youtube video of that, I know it. I think I've seen it.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    I didn't mention Jamis since I've never been hands on with one .The brand's fine though if lacking the mass market appeal of the bigger companies.The good thing though that that also requires them to live more on performance and less on cache as reflected by the specs which are probably as good as you are gong to get at that price.
    Call me a Mexican cherry picker, but that's a huge affirmative nod in my book.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast