Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anybody talk me down from buying a bicycle?

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    if that fails you flap.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #52
    I bought the bike. The ultimate deciding factor is that I ended up buying 2 bikes today.

You see, I don't have to clear purchases through the wife, I just tell her I'm buying shit. This laissez faire arrangement goes both ways, so she wanted a nice bike too. However, she wouldn't go for the online purchase, so off to the bike shop we went. There were very few bikes that would permit her to reach the ground, which was a must for her. We test drove a few, she ended up getting the Giant Cypress DX W (the W is for wimminz) for $500 and change. She already has a gay white basket up front. It's sitting not 10 feet from me now, upside down with both wheels off.

Only problem is, now there's more space we need to allocate for bike storage in the apartment, and the bike is a little too heavy to hang from a single hook. I have to rethink the entire storage strategy. :sigh:

3. Lounge   -   #53
    I think I've found my storage solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Kettler-8959-5...pr_product_top

4. Lounge   -   #54
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

There's this on the same page.

Also, don't rule out Harbor Freight's similar product that's usually under $10.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    You guys are insane. Those most I've ever paid for a bicycle was $99 from Wal Mart. Then again I've never had nothing but problems with those types of bikes so maybe I should stop being so cheap.

6. Lounge   -   #56
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3

That's fine if you happen to be a dwarf or you live in an apartment with very high ceilings, otherwise you'll be doing impromptu impressions of Quasimodo, while navigating the multiple dangling obstacles bicycles.

I know you loathe organic chemistry, but shirley a little bit of curare will dissuade the casual thief from purloining your wheels, and you will have the satisfaction of kicking said shitheel while he's down for having the temerity to think of trying it on with you......
    Last edited by Artemis; 05-23-2012 at 04:42 AM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

7. Lounge   -   #57
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    You guys are insane. Those most I've ever paid for a bicycle was $99 from Wal Mart. Then again I've never had nothing but problems with those types of bikes so maybe I should stop being so cheap.
    For a $100, I'll help you track down a Giant Cypress DX W and a 2010 Jamis Ventura Comp. Might even have ceiling hangers...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Lounge   -   #58
    ckrit's Avatar Flagpole

I just use my balcony for the normal-sized ones I use on a regular basis. I've got a pretty hefty chain to lock them to the railing, just in case ninjas rapel down the side of the building to steal them.

My folding bike sits by the door.

I've got two more in storage. They're kind of shit, though.
    Last edited by ckrit; 05-23-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    ckrit d<rit c|<rit

Mi signotaur > urs.

9. Lounge   -   #59
    ckrit's Avatar Flagpole
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Is that your only bike, or do you do touring or anything like that with something else? I think I remember you saying you don't do much off-road.
    Going by the way idle cunningly dodged that question by means of not answering, I'm going to assume that idle's other bikes are either deeply embarrassing or horribly expensive (so that he avoids answering in fear of being targeted by rings of international bike thieves).

Tadpole trikes and/or penny-farthings made of gold, is my guess.
    Last edited by ckrit; 05-23-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    ckrit d<rit c|<rit

Mi signotaur > urs.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by ckrit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Is that your only bike, or do you do touring or anything like that with something else? I think I remember you saying you don't do much off-road.
    Going by the way idle cunningly dodged that question by means of not answering, I'm going to assume that idle's other bikes are either deeply embarrassing or horribly expensive (so that he avoids answering in fear of being targeted by rings of international bike thieves).

Tadpole trikes and/or penny-farthings made of gold, is my guess.
    Sorry I got distracted by cheap booze and expensive women and forgot to reply.
    I've got like half a dozen bikes although a couple are lacking parts as have donated some of theirs to their betters .
    Rocky Mountain .Redline .Cervelo Trek Marinoni a couple of battered and much abused Bianchi team bikes from when people still rode those sort of things in races. .Haven't done any touring.Nary ever turned a pedal not in anger even before I started and after I stopped racing.
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast