Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Kazaa Users Don't Share Much

I used data from 169 different users that connected to me when I was a supernode:

28% (47) shared nothing
    38% (64) shared less than 10 files
    66% (112) shared less than 100 files
    96% (162) shared less than 1000 files

So 40% of all FastTrack users are leechers. No surprise, really.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    dude that sucks

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by Master YodaX@10 February 2003 - 18:36
    dude that sucks
    Tell it to the leechers. And I only checked 169 different users. I might write a program that checks a lot more users to get a more accurate result.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    rn what were most of them dl ?did you keep track of that?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Are you taking in to account the fact that a lot of people may be new and don't have that many files to share?

As the word spreads about Kazaa/K-Lite you're bound to get a lot more new users.

I've been using K-Lite for about 3 months now and had well over 400 files but lost them all when I had to reload my pc. I'm now starting over and only have 11 files but as I download them I share them.

Edit: Typo

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by mrcall1969@10 February 2003 - 19:03
    Are you taking in to account the fact that a lot of people may be new and don't have that many files to share?
    The users connected to me were random users. If I get 28% no-sharers then anyone else would get about the same amount of non-sharers too.

I didn't check what files they were sharing or what files they were downloading. Only number of files they were sharing.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by random nut@10 February 2003 - 20:00
    The users connected to me were random users. If I get 28% no-sharers then anyone else would get about the same amount of non-sharers too.

I didn't check what files they were sharing or what files they were downloading. Only number of files they were sharing.
    Yeah they would, but of that 28%, 50% of them could be brand new users, there's no way of telling.

Because they only share 30 or so files doesn't always mean that someone is a leecher, everyone has got to start somewhere. If someone has a slow connection it's going to take them a fair bit of time to build up to 100 or so files, I know, I've neen there.

I'm not having a pop at you, but in my opinion someone could read a thread like this and decide to cancel someone downloading from them because they have only a relatively small amount of files.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by mrcall1969@10 February 2003 - 20:26
    Yeah they would, but of that 28%, 50% of them could be brand new users, there's no way of telling.
    I highly doubt 14% of all users are new users. 14% new users every day? No.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Highly improbable but not impossible, you can't determine which users you researched, it is possible that if you checked them again in say 1 week they could have more files.

The point I am making is that at present I only have 12 files, I dont think it would be fair of someone to look at my files and cancel a download because of this.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    MrC

Even new users can share. When I started I placed 100 mp3 files I had made myself into the shared folder.

I then built up my shared folder as I downloaded. Supplementing with music and movies I did myself.

I understand your sentiment, however I can't really agree with it in all cases.

Cheers

JimF

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast