Thread: Iam Looking To Upgrade To Xp

Poster
    Ive been running ME all this time and i would like to give XP a try on my PC.

However I only have dial up and that takes forever ;p So I had my cousin download me one from bit torrent. But it didnt come with a read me and its not like a .bin .cue Its just a .rar file that says windown XP. Then when i open the .rar i get a folder that says Windows XP Home. Then when I open that i get this....

*EDIT* Angelfie deleted my account because of that screen shot, lol how lame....

Iam just wondering what the steps are for me to burn this onto a CD that i can Install from...

Should i extract the Windows XP Home folder and just burn that as a Data Copy ? or somthing else.
    Xare
    Unknowncheats.com Moderator
    MPC.DE Moderator

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    muchspl2
    you sure its not a iso, they open up in winrar
    if its iso, just burn it like a bin/cue, nero file/recorder->burn image

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Just to correct you on this: It's a .zip file, not a .rar. And also, it's Windows XP Professional, not Home Edition

Now in order for you to burn this, first extract it to its own folder, but don't burn it yet. Then follow the instructions on this page to make your CD bootable.

EDIT: I might be wrong about the Home Edition part. It could be a mislabeled Home Edition.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Yes it does look miss labeled *shrug* as long as it still works ;p

Iam guessing its a ISO .. Thanks for the info guys, Iam gonna look into doing that.
    Xare
    MPC.DE Moderator

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Xare@19 November 2003 - 04:23
    Yes it does look miss labeled  *shrug*  as long as it still works ;p

Iam guessing its a ISO ..  Thanks for the info guys, Iam gonna look into doing that.
    excellent avatar! it took me bout 4 minutes 2 stop staring -

is that from the "man show"?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Its looks like I have a Windows Home ISO. I have Nero that i could try to burn it with but the Guide you linked me to shows Easy CD creator 5.02 b

So I found a download for that, its about 100 mb it looks like. But i was wondering, the guide looks like its for XP Pro.

Do you think it will still work for this XP Home edition I have ? Or do i need to use a different Volume label maybe ?

And about the avatar, Ya she's pretty nice ;p I forget where I found it tho, Its been awhile...
    Xare
    MPC.DE Moderator

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Thanks for the help with the guide's.

I Burned a CD with Nero and i think its gonna work ok ;-)

When i put the CD in D: drive it starts up and asks me if i want to start install... So good. I used the same volume label from the XP guide. Hopefully its for both home and pro.

Iam going to wait till friday (when my 9600 XT comes) then iam prolly gonna switch. Peace !
    Xare
    MPC.DE Moderator