Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If You Build A Pc Is It Ilegal To Use Your Old Os

Originally posted by Supernatural@19 November 2003 - 10:22
    Windows Update doesn't check your serial.
    Yes it does. Windows Update has a list of blacklisted serials, so if one of those serials is trying to access Windows Update, they won't be able to connect and download the updates.

If i build a new PC I can use my same OS with out the feds coming after me?
    Yes, but most people don't give a crap about this 'using the same OS and key on two PCs' thing anymore. And for the activation problem, there's some files out there that can crack the activation for you. Search in google for something like that.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by slammy_dunken@20 November 2003 - 01:33
    , there's some files out there that can crack the activation for you. Search in google for something like that.

And this is pretty much the best way to do it; having to buy more than one license just because you have more than one PC in your home is just plain stupidity.
    A home user should never have to do this
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    actually, i had 2 fix a puter - where the mobo was fried by lightening so instead of paying gateway $260 bucks for a replacement mobo - i upgraded the entire system, but kept the same hard drive (formatted and re-installed xp however)...

when it was time 2 activate via the internet, i was told the version of xp home was already activated, so i had 2 call microsoft. they proceeded to tell me (this is no LIE) that this xp home was registered to the gateway, not some other puter. i explained to them that the gateway was fried, and they said i would still need to purchase an additional license! i freaked out and demanded 2 speak to a manager...the manager told me the same thing and i told her that was unacceptable....after arguing for a half hour, they finally gave me the reg codes.

was in total shock! microsoft claims that xp home is "attached" to the cpu, and if upgraded - u cannot switch over (unlike the old OS's).

bastards -

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by kurtsl0an@20 November 2003 - 18:44
    actually, i had 2 fix a puter - where the mobo was fried by lightening so instead of paying gateway $260 bucks for a replacement mobo - i upgraded the entire system, but kept the same hard drive (formatted and re-installed xp however)...

when it was time 2 activate via the internet, i was told the version of xp home was already activated, so i had 2 call microsoft. they proceeded to tell me (this is no LIE) that this xp home was registered to the gateway, not some other puter. i explained to them that the gateway was fried, and they said i would still need to purchase an additional license! i freaked out and demanded 2 speak to a manager...the manager told me the same thing and i told her that was unacceptable....after arguing for a half hour, they finally gave me the reg codes.

was in total shock! microsoft claims that xp home is "attached" to the cpu, and if upgraded - u cannot switch over (unlike the old OS's).

bastards -
    you should look at what else they maintain in the EULA

would you believe.. the reserved right to execute, delete, read & write data to the machine, without your knowledge!

they basically feel [and specify] that cycles on a machine running XP are their cycles.

another reason why i don't think i will ever use it on one of my own computers.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Yes it does. Windows Update has a list of blacklisted serials, so if one of those serials is trying to access Windows Update, they won't be able to connect and download the updates.
    I have the typical fck serial and my xp pro downloads and updates fine. (disabled it anyways because they fuck my pc up)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    MusicChick's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bob_the_alien@19 November 2003 - 23:53
    And this is pretty much the best way to do it; having to buy more than one license just because you have more than one PC in your home is just plain stupidity. 
    A home user should never have to do this
    I agree. If you bought it, its yours. Its your business if you want to put it on another machine or not, if the other machine belongs to you.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by slammy_dunken@20 November 2003 - 00:33
    ...Windows Update has a list of blacklisted serials, so if one of those serials is trying to access Windows Update, they won't be able to connect and download the updates....
    That's not entirely true. This is only the case when installing SP1. There are only 2 blacklisted serials. No one uses them anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12