Thread: How to record xbox 360 gameplay and audio onto computer?

devilsgirth
    Hey guys I wanna make some youtube videos with gameplay footage but I dunno how to do it Id prefer not to spend a lot of money, it seems like capture cards are the way to go but I was wondering if I could use my per or something to record with? I have an hd tv, with telus optik, is there any way I can use that to record games to put on my pc/mac? Once the stuff is on my computer do I need a specific program to edit it or can I use something like windows movie maker?

2. Games   -   #2
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. Games   -   #3
    coolhairstyle
    I see that you have two popular choices: 1) Hauppauge 1445 HD-PVR and 2) Elgato Game Capture HD. Each costs about $200.

The process goes like this:
    1. Your [xbox 360] is on one end.
    2. Your [game capturing device] is in the CENTER.
    3. Your [monitor/TV] is on the other end.
    4. Your [computer] should be on the [xbox 360] end. Next to it.

5. You connect the your [xbox 360] to [game capturing device].
    6. You connect your [game capturing device] from its output like "HDMI Out" to your [monitor].
    7. You connect your [game capturing device] to your [computer] like via USB port *and run [editing software] while recording.

8. Your [game capturing device] may or may not have an input to record 'live' voice-over during game play. If it doesn't, you have to do voice-over separately on your [editing software].

9. You may need 2 [editing softwares]: One for sure during live recording on your computer. The other for more precise and creative (like with good special effects) and *including voice-over if the [game capturing device] doesn't allow 'live' voice-over.

10. Your one editing software should come with the device, or you go on-line for it.

11. The instruction on connecting the devices should come with your [game capturing device].

12. Good luck!

Example of extra editing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTWSmWf7FrA&feature=plcp
    or
    http://youtu.be/xTWSmWf7FrA

Source:
    My own experience.