Star wars!! ep 3 to 6
    You mean IV to VI?

2. Movies & TV   -   #252
    Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)Kingsman_poster.jpg

3. Movies & TV   -   #253
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by monadewong View Post
    Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
    In this era of short attention spans it takes forever to get going and when it finally arrives there in the last ten minutes of the movie,the previous hour+ of setup suddenly doesn't seem worth the wait.
    I mean a great portion of the film centers on someone who turns out to be basically nothing more than a cog and not a very likable one at that.

I get the whole "setting up a franchise" that we're subjected to but don't you first have to create a successful film to hang that franchise on?

On the positive side, the action,what little there is of it is pretty decent though if dampened by the usual excessive directorial flourishes.The lead actor is also pretty good but unfortunately except for the aforementioned cog, the other characters are so sparingly developed that they barely register.

Also it's extremely uneven in tone.I've never really gotten the "mixing comedy with graphic violence" thing.

An innocuous enough time-waster but little more than that.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #254
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    "From the director of X-Men: First Class" did not inspire me to steal it with reckless abandon.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #255
    He also directed Layer Cake and Stardust but then he must have moved to L.A. and got big time into the drugs and whores obviously.

6. Movies & TV   -   #256
    I seem to remember putting Stardust in a one-time-watch category, but I've heard good things about Layer Cake.

Criticising drug and whore use on this site will only instigate a fight, mister...
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Movies & TV   -   #257
    Stardust is fan fucking tastic but knowing what I know of you, that being that you are a soulless violence addicted cretin, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll like Layer Cake.

Last edited by IdolEyes787; 05-03-2015 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Movies & TV   -   #258
    I'll rewatch Stardust. I remember the premise for it seemed great, I just thought (years ago) that it attempted to be too over-the-top with some characters (DeNiro comes to mind).

Violence? Did you say violence? Perhaps the birds can wait another day for their new home...

9. Movies & TV   -   #259
    Layer Cske is good because it doesn't settle for the predictable like in that scene is you bother watching to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I'll rewatch Stardust. I remember the premise for it seemed great, I just thought (years ago) that it attempted to be too over-the-top with some characters (DeNiro comes to mind).
    I wasn't a fan when I first watched it either but unless we're taking dion here,first impressions can be wrong.

One of the few films that deserve the term "magical".
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 05-03-2015 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Movies & TV   -   #260
    Will. Watch. Tonight.

Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 162324252627282936 ... LastLast