Thread: Anyone following the NHL Playoffs this year?

Being a Canadian in the Great White North, this time of year is usually devoted to hockey and beer...

However... I swore after the last lockout that I would ignore the half season and playoffs. In effect, I am locking them out.
    So far I have been true to my word. I did not watch one regular season game and avoided the sports page, stats and readily available iphone sports apps. I excused myself from conversations about the Canucks at work (yes I am in Vancouver, but I grew up in Ottawa before they had a team. One inevitably became either a Leafs fan or a Habs fan. I became the latter during the Scotty Bowman years... Go Habs!) and refused to explain my reasons beyond disinterest in a money grab to salvage a game that has lost the magic and passion it held for me as I was growing up.

And now the playoffs have begun.... while I do feel a twinge of interest... like a dark seed growing from deep within... I have continued with my efforts to block any info regarding matchups and series leads thus far...

Now I know the international base of this community may not have any interest in the NHL so I am directing this thread at those of you who may have felt the same sense of betrayal and yet love the game and this spring rite of passage that has become our pre-summer tradition.

I am allowing this as my only connection for purely cathartic purposes....
    So are you watching? Give a shout and tell me who you are cheering for wether they made the playoffs or not...

Cheers!

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Generally I cheer for the Charlestown Chiefs as they never fail to entertain and the fact they are totally fictional doesn't prevent me from still trying to get season tickets every year.
    Other than that what you said other than the Habs were and always shall be the Devil and I'm not just saying that because I don't cotton to their supreme cultural prejudice but because it's true.

Anyway it's May and a young man's fancy turns to http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Ah... so you are a Leafs fan... now I get your egocentricity...

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestibule View Post
    Ah... so you are a Leafs fan... now I get your egocentricity...
    You're not big on the whole self awareness thing are you?

Anyway "O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us! "
    or "Being an insufferable jerk apparently isn't copy-righted or "Glass houses suck".

Btw not Leaf fan.Thought I established not an anybody fan but that was probably a delusion brought on by my egocentricity.
    I do think in his day Gianni Bugno was pretty cool . Probably only me and his Mom agree to that though.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    pootystomp's Avatar Poster
    I'm so happy to know that the Blues are taking out the Kings in the first round.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Boston VS Chicago

Historically this is the scenario....

'The Bruins and Blackhawks are meeting in the Stanley Cup playoffs for the seventh time in their history and the first since Boston's 4-0 sweep in the 1978 Quarterfinals. It's the first time in the long history of the two franchises they've met in the Final -- as well as the first all-Original Six final since 1979, when the Montreal Canadiens defeated the New York Rangers in five games.

Boston has won five of its previous six playoff series against Chicago; the Blackhawks' only victory was in a three-game preliminary-round matchup in 1975. They've played eight times in the past nine years, with the Bruins winning six, including the past two.'

Does anyone care?