Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uploaders, Take Heed!

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    I would not consider DVD Quality "terrible" by any stretch of the imagination. You must have forgotten VHS quality, or it was before you were born....
    You seem to have forgotten that this is filesharing where being an elitist moron is par for the course.

Btw VHS quality looked great on the TVs of that time so everything is relative or something.
    Anyway I'm sure that in the far off distant,yet to be imagined future of 6 years from now some equally oblivious person will be calling 1080p "the Great Satan".
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 05-10-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    [QUOTE=IdolEyes787;3699059]
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    Anyway I'm sure that in the far off distant,yet to be imagined future of 6 years from now some equally oblivious person will be calling 1080p "the Great Satan".
    That's probably 100% on the mark, as the industry has been pushing 4000P for a couple of years now; no s/w to feed it, no broadcast, cable, satellite, or internet 'standard' yet, but it's sitting out there.

I was working in SD/Digital way back in 1987, helped develop encoders and satellite transmission equipment and the ATSC/HD standard through the early 90's. It took a good 15 years from that point to actually field everything and get everyone yanked up to the 'future'.

Which movies are being done for blu-ray toady is a mystery to me (the selection process). I have tons of HD stuff pulled off the HD movie channels that will probably NEVER be on disc, yet are excellent films.

As to why you don't have things in your local rental market, please note that a lot of A+ films that are available in Europe aren't, for whatever reason, not in the US. Folks here would say you need more competition in your market, if the government will allow it (the US has that problem in spades, usually).

But since the Euros have things the US doesn't, then why do they tilt toward private (read: encrypted) postings by the ton it seems. Not always, but it's really tilted that way in the last year or so; but I occasionally get 'good stuff' that is only in RegB release, and appreciate when I do. Which is why I keep my posts as close to 'in the clear' as is possible.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    You must have forgotten VHS quality,
    i havent forgotten anything. But the larger monitor i get the worse it gets.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    We tend to A/B things via 'The Jetsons', and we do have almost wall-sized video screens today (although flying cars are still firmly on the drawing board).

But what most forget is the 'hidden' infrastructure that makes it all possible. The cell phone is pretty much ubiquitous everywhere in both the 'developed' and 'underdeveloped' world, yet the network that ties it all together, from the basic cell towers to transmission lines connecting those towers right up to trans-oceanic links (satellite and fiber) that makes calling anywhere on the planet as simple (and cheap) as calling next door was 40 years ago.

The 'internet' infrastructure we take for granted was simply 'along for the ride', so to speak, but it's that 'last mile' that is the bugger as the long distance plant was pretty easily replaced with new technology (but realize it did take those 40 years from 1970 up to now) but that the extremely dense 'local loop' plant rarely has the cost reductions driving it to replace all the 100+ years of copper, not to mention the political considerations of those in power 'clinging' to their version of 'guns and religion' (read: copper and phone poles).

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    And yes, NF is not the TOTAL solution, it's an 80% solution. Other rental sources bring it up to 98%. Then of course there are friends and family... and the occasional 'must have' disc available through commercial sources that some kind (and head screwed on straight) person posts properly.
    netflix is also 'losing' a ton of their content..

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013...aming-catalog/

Nope file collecting remains the pure way to see blu-ray or sometimes crappy hacked HDTV encodes of movies/tv shows from amazon/iTunes (which aren't acquirable in HD any other way besides caps )

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    johhny's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    i also recommend using 15% pars from now on.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by johhny View Post
    pointless, if it gets dmca'd everything will be gone, even the pars. 5% is more than enough for the average missing block, when your posts have lots of fuckups consider using a better/alternative server and uploader that can repost missing chunks.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by 2501 View Post
    pointless, if it gets dmca'd everything will be gone, even the pars. 5% is more than enough for the average missing block, when your posts have lots of fuckups consider using a better/alternative server and uploader that can repost missing chunks.
    5% is a bit on the lean side; everything would have to be working just about perfectly (the upload, the posting server, the peering to the server you are using to d/l, and all the transmission.

I've ran into many postings where 5% isn't enough. And a certain percentage isn't the answer; if one figured that for a DVD9/6GB posting 20% was good to go, then smaller sizes (DVD5) would need to get more pars, whereas large postings (say BD25/50) would be okay with the 10%.

Don't skimp. Putting those extras bits in there cost one what, a few minutes in par generation and a few more in uploading, to make sure that the receiver on even a pretty poor server plant with wobbly transmission somewhere in the path can still get the thing several months/years later.

Again, why skimp?

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    DngrMs's Avatar Super Rodent
    Quote Originally Posted by johhny View Post
    Too much.

Quote Originally Posted by 2501 View Post
    Too little.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    5% is a bit on the lean side; everything would have to be working just about perfectly (the upload, the posting server, the peering to the server you are using to d/l, and all the transmission.

I've ran into many postings where 5% isn't enough. And a certain percentage isn't the answer; if one figured that for a DVD9/6GB posting 20% was good to go, then smaller sizes (DVD5) would need to get more pars, whereas large postings (say BD25/50) would be okay with the 10%.

Don't skimp. Putting those extras bits in there cost one what, a few minutes in par generation and a few more in uploading, to make sure that the receiver on even a pretty poor server plant with wobbly transmission somewhere in the path can still get the thing several months/years later.

Again, why skimp?
    Pretty much this.
    Just like the NSA, I'm compelled to copy everything I want to.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    I would go not for % but for a number of complete parts of this particular collection par2 would be able to recover.
    Say, 4-5 seems reasonable enough.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 06-24-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast