Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu ray regions Help!!!

Hey everyone.

This is probably a complete noob question. I have DL'd a few complete Blu-rays and when i go to burn them sometimes they play and sometimes they don't. I figure
    it's the region they are meant to be played in causing the issue. I know there's Regions A, B, C. I need region A, but i can't tell in the info which is which.
    Am i missing something or is it luck of the draw? Just need some help.

Thank you.

Also wanted to say that this is a great site
    I'm very happy to be part of the community.
    Last edited by donniex; 07-11-2013 at 12:37 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    IF the rip(ping) program has correctly done it's job, then the Region (Reg) will have been 'stripped out', usually. There are lots of disc in which the region is 'locked' and isn't removed by one or another or the ripping programs.

A better question would be, WHY are you burning the discs? Especially the BD50's, very expensive. If you are 'remuxing' them (strip out un-needed audio's, unwanted 'extras' and such) then burning to BD25's is the way to go, IF you aren't recoding the things. A good 33+% of movies can be 'reduced' to BD25 size by remuxing, and/or moving the extras (again, if wanted) to an additional disc (DVD5 or BD25).

But there are LOTS of decently recoded stuff out there, without jumping through the silly encrypted nonsense.

But it all may depend on what you're actually trying to do, and the decrypt program that was used. I burn nothing but BD25's (very inexpensive, actually cheaper than DVD9's in bulk; <90cents ea inkjet printable) and recode things larger to 'size them down'.

Best site to 'check' bluray specs (including region settings) is http://www.blu-ray.com with RegA specifics. There are decent Euro sites as well.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I shrink them to bd-25's. I don't mind that.
    Thank you for the response.
    I will look into this more.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I'll 'assume' that by 'shrink' you're using one of the 'quickie' processing apps included in some of the decrypter programs out there. You really ought to look into one of the better actual recoders (MeGUI/Handbrake et.al.), if you have of course the machine power at your disposal.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    I'll 'assume' that by 'shrink' you're using one of the 'quickie' processing apps included in some of the decrypter programs out there. You really ought to look into one of the better actual recoders (MeGUI/Handbrake et.al.), if you have of course the machine power at your disposal.
    Agreed; you stand to lose a lot of quality if you re-encode using poor settings. For me the point of downloading full BD is to get 'untouched' video quality.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    With the current pricing of BD50's (around $4-4.50 or so inket printables) then ti's pretty 'cheap' burning, right around the same as for RAID5 disc storage on a large NAS box. So far, I haven't seen a program that will process blurays like DVDRemake does for SD/DVD's, to rip out all the 'crap' and such, but one can 'remux' as I pointed out IF you have a good playback box that will play the result (either m2ts or mkv if you go that route). Again, a good percentage will result in something lower than BD25 sizing without recoding or 'shinking'.

But I do retain a fair number of 'full bandwidth' BD50's on my NAS, but long movies I can usually 'split' with tsmuxr into 2/bd25's particularly if it is one of the older 'roadshow' films with actual 'intermission' pause of one type or another, or if I can find a 'natural' point at which to split it.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    It's funny with all the info that is available with people's posts that the one thing that's neglected a lot of the time is the region. I've run into this same thing. One thing you can do is play test the the video stream using vlc media player to try to figure out which region you have. If you look in the bdmv/ stream folder you can take a look at some of the menus and try to determine it.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by voodu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Agreed; you stand to lose a lot of quality if you re-encode using poor settings. For me the point of downloading full BD is to get 'untouched' video quality.
    I agree but if it is not a Acton filled movie, why waste 20-50gigs of drive space ?? And doing some research... The sound file is huge on a true BD rip, and that is where the big loss is re-encoding it, but before you bite my head off, there is some loss in picture as well...
    But if there is not a big amount of action in the movie, I really don't see the point of wasting that much hard drive space for streaming..
    As for a Blu ray Player/Movie ?? I haven't used one in years... And all the same i would purchase one that streams files over a network or you can attach a hard drive and has Netflx and NHL center ice etc.., having to put movies/tv shows in machine all the time and having them all over the house would drive me nuts!!
    Better to look into a streaming player and a hard drive, and have fun loading the hard drive up..
    And True BD rips are usually a TS file extension right??

Quote Originally Posted by tommy98 View Post
    It's funny with all the info that is available with people's posts that the one thing that's neglected a lot of the time is the region. I've run into this same thing. One thing you can do is play test the the video stream using vlc media player to try to figure out which region you have. If you look in the bdmv/ stream folder you can take a look at some of the menus and try to determine it.
    I really think most people have gone to streaming be it online or eternal, and i have never run into a problem with region issues. On a few streaming machines you will get that Cinavia crap, but not region..
    Last edited by shaina; 11-23-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by voodu View Post
    I agree but if it is not a Acton filled movie, why waste 20-50gigs of drive space ?? And doing some research... The sound file is huge on a true BD rip, and that is where the big loss is re-encoding it, but before you bite my head off, there is some loss in picture as well...
    But if there is not a big amount of action in the movie, I really don't see the point of wasting that much hard drive space for streaming..
    As for a Blu ray Player/Movie ?? I haven't used one in years... And all the same i would purchase one that streams files over a network or you can attach a hard drive and has Netflx and NHL center ice etc.., having to put movies/tv shows in machine all the time and having them all over the house would drive me nuts!!
    Better to look into a streaming player and a hard drive, and have fun loading the hard drive up..
    And True BD rips are usually a TS file extension right??

I really think most people have gone to streaming be it online or eternal, and i have never run into a problem with region issues. On a few streaming machines you will get that Cinavia crap, but not region..
    Streaming is definitely the wave of the future. If you want the popular new releases that's fine. If you want some older, more obscure stuff it's a problem.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Streaming is definitely the wave of the future. If you want the popular new releases that's fine. If you want some older, more obscure stuff it's a problem.
    Do you have any examples that you can't get on Usenet or torrents Today?? That would be interesting to know??
    And by meaning can't find Movies? TV shows? or Documentaries ?

Again when i did say streaming, it was not meant to be live only, even a person with little skills on pc's or none are finding ways, be it friends or purchasing files from people to stream on there own hard drives in there homes (I am one, but i never charge anyone, i do it for a lot of friends and relatives that do like older shows or movies, or PPV stuff they don't subscribe too)...

I say this because i have had some weird request in the past (can't remember off the top of my head), and it may have taken some searching and a good Usenet provider (i would agree on some torrents, as there is no seeders anymore), but i don't think i have never not found a request that someone has given me..And i am not saying i have a magical way or better way for searching, for some reason sooner or later i find it.....

Shay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast