Thread: My Shared Folder, Deleted Stuff

stranger97470
    ok I had over 1200 program files in this folder and I had reformatted the previous day, so I figured it was just a bunch of useless crap. Turns out some of it was stuff I wanted still. I deleted while in kazaa not from the folder itself. The problem is I cannot find them anywhere, not in my explorer, not in my recycle bin. I know they are not gone, cuz I have not rebooted yet. I'm wondering how to get them back. I would appreciate someone letting me know how to find them and get them back....well at least some of them, the other 1000 or so I don't care about, lol.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    BANNED
    Originally posted by stranger97470@21 November 2003 - 22:07
    ok I had over 1200 program files in this folder and I had reformatted the previous day, so I figured it was just a bunch of useless crap. Turns out some of it was stuff I wanted still. I deleted while in kazaa not from the folder itself. The problem is I cannot find them anywhere, not in my explorer, not in my recycle bin. I know they are not gone, cuz I have not rebooted yet. I'm wondering how to get them back. I would appreciate someone letting me know how to find them and get them back....well at least some of them, the other 1000 or so I don't care about, lol.
    you need a full version of this

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    one thing that you need to keep in mind when using a recovery program is that most of them will not install to the same disk that the information you are trying to recover is on. (Because it might overwrite the info you wanna retrieve.)
    something else to keep in mind is that it's gonna scan the drive for broken info first, and it's gonna tell you where everything is allocated. DO NOT have it try to reconstruct the whole drive...That will take DAYS!!! (I learned that the hard way!!&#33
    write down the info for the files that you wanna get back, and only have it try to reconstruct in that range of allocations.

Lastly, reconstructors aint perfect. some of the files you get back, may not be complete reconstructions. and it might not be able to get a lot of them back at all.

That said- the prog that MusleMan gave a link for is a damn fine program. VERY hard to get tho, if you are looking to get it without paying for it, and it dont come cheap!

Here are a couple of alternatives to try in the mean-time. Search and Recover, and GetDataBack. I recommend the second one. But you have to make sure that you get the right version. there is a version for FAT tables, and one for NTFS (WinNT) tables. you can get both programs and both versions of getdataback at
    http://www.webattack.com/shareware/system/...tarecovery.html
    and then head over to astalavista to make them full version. according to the maker of getdataback, it's safe to install it to the same drive you're trying to recover. I cant vouch for that tho, since I used it on my regular harddrive, to get stuff back from my BACKUP harddrive that failed. (SUCKS when your backup goes out after you've FDISK'd and then reinstalled the OS, and overwritten the stuff you'd wanna recover.)

Good luck!