Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Gingadaddy sold!!

Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by drakester View Post

Welcome to the circle of life when it comes to indexers...
    Thank you!

(Life is good!)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

2. Newsgroups   -   #42
    $21k is a lot of money to most people, but when you are talking MPAA/RIAA, that barely covers an executive lunch.
    It wouldn't surprise me if one of their shell companies bought it. The motive however is the kicker - would it be to harvest user information? Keep track of scene uploads so they can shut down the files at the provider level (e.g. Giganews)? It's anyones guess.
    It wouldn't even surprise me if they acquire the site just to shut it down. Must be cheaper than legal fees. There wouldn't even be any way of stopping them unless you had wads of cash lying around.

3. Newsgroups   -   #43
    Last edited by myself12345; 04-24-2014 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Newsgroups   -   #44
    The "new" owners never introduced themselves. They even used Gingadaddy's login to post. Is it possible the "sale" was just a ploy so they could get free users to buy a lifetime membership before raising memberships to $15.00 a year?

When I joined around 2010 , it was $5.00 for a lifetime membership.

I doubt the authorities would buy it to gather names of users. It's not illegal to join a site. It's not illegal to download nzbs. Only your USP could log files downloaded and they only log uploads to Usenet.

5. Newsgroups   -   #45
    Usenetfreak
    Wow cool! Never thought that Nzb sites make so much sales a month, seems to be that the site was longer time online and gathered users over many years

6. Newsgroups   -   #46
    vtec123
    Hi Guys
    So has GINGADADDY gone? Or is the web site down again like before?
    Cheers?
    Anyone recommend any other good sites.. or have any invites please.

7. Newsgroups   -   #47
    GingaDADDY is up again

8. Newsgroups   -   #48
    Quote Originally Posted by user3240 View Post
    The "new" owners never introduced themselves. They even used Gingadaddy's login to post. Is it possible the "sale" was just a ploy so they could get free users to buy a lifetime membership before raising memberships to $15.00 a year?

When I joined around 2010 , it was $5.00 for a lifetime membership.

I doubt the authorities would buy it to gather names of users. It's not illegal to join a site. It's not illegal to download nzbs. Only your USP could log files downloaded and they only log uploads to Usenet.
    Yeah it was $10 for me. Not too bad I guess for ten years I guess.
    Good points about the sites. As for the ISP, most people use encryption when downloading from Usenet, right? Then the ISP should have no way of knowing what was downloading, just a timestamp and maybe the size (if they wanted to log downloads at all?).

9. Newsgroups   -   #49
    there was a fire at data center back up now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345