Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hows This Pc

twisterX's Avatar Poster
    http://emachines.com/products/products.htm...eMachines_T2542

Im not looking in to heavy gaming with it and just some few games. I mostly on online and use some programs.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    it'll work, don't expect to do any major upgrades, with spending some major cash$$$ allot of proprietary stuff there, but yes a good start! and well worth it!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    My first machine ( which I ended up giving to my mother) was an eMachines ( AMD version, though) and it was, and still is, fine.

I don't care what MS says though, 256MB of RAM is really marginal to run XP on.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    512MB DDR ram for gameing

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Machines alright, clocker's right though, you need more ram, I've tried running XP with just 256 of memory, it works, but you use the swap file way too much, slows the pc way down.
    Just add another 256 stick in it, and it would be fine.

an E-machine was your first machine, Clocker, you started out with a decent company then, I remember my first machine, well, first Windows machine, It was a Packard Bell, Jeez, the worst computer I ever owned.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    With all the possible computers out there why would you choose an eMachine?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@22 November 2003 - 18:28
    With all the possible computers out there why would you choose an eMachine?
    well, u try to find a manufactor machines that has same spec or better for less then that. emachines have okay spec for really cheap prices. and i dont get y ppl say emachines are so bad. they say "no upgrade option" look at the dell or gateway, most name brand machines really dont give u much option to upgrad.

"no dependable"
    my friend has his for over 2 years now and it still work great.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    My friend has had an Emachine for about a lil over a year now and his works...but it seems like it should run a LOT faster then it actually does. 512MB PC2700 RAM Amd 2200 and a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 (looks real nice)...but it runs slow it seems like to me...and ive reformated it and stuff
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Emachines can be good, but i would stick to the more brand name companies, ie dell. Definatly get more Ram. I would upgrade to xp pro, just cause it has more home networking features. and depending on your needs, maybe a bigger hard drive, 40 gigs isnt much. OH, and dont get microsoft works on it. You definatly have to get office xp or 2003. I bought works and ive been regretting it from the day i got it.

Oh, and you need something better than a celeron.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by NNels112@22 November 2003 - 14:58
    Emachines can be good, but i would stick to the more brand name companies, ie dell. Definatly get more Ram. I would upgrade to xp pro, just cause it has more home networking features. and depending on your needs, maybe a bigger hard drive, 40 gigs isnt much. OH, and dont get microsoft works on it. You definatly have to get office xp or 2003. I bought works and ive been regretting it from the day i got it.

Oh, and you need something better than a celeron.
    If your you're not going to be doing gaming, I'd say just stick with the Celeron, normally you would never hear me say this, but if your not going to game or do video editing, a more expensive cpu, would be sort of a waste. If you're not going to use the extra cycles, really you don't need them. Main problem with Celerons though are the low amount of Cache on the CPU. In comparison to a Athlon or P4, they run way slow, and with the small amount of cache, makes the chip run even slower.

As for Office Xp, don't worry about it, just download it off the net, I mean this is a Kazaa K++ board after all , and for XP pro, the same can be done, but home is just fine for the majority of the people out there, but I do like Xp Pro better.

If you do get this system, more ram, the more ram you have the better system performance you going to get, no matter the processor.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast