Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Hello!

I live in Israel and I wanted to know what you guys think about my country? What's your opinion about the conflict? what do you even know about Israel and Palestine?

I resist to the Israeli occupation and I even refused to serve in the IDF. It's just not right. My country is oppressing the Palestinians and keep building settlements in there territory.
    Many people here are angry with me for my opinions but this is how I think and if they don't like it, screw them

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    I can't even find Israel on a map. Burma either. But that might be because of my aversion to post 1948 cartography. Seriously though, how do you get a waiver or deferment on IDF conscription? I hope it involved Jimi Hendrix style shenanigans. or peanut butter.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Squirrel View Post
    Hello!

I live in Israel and I wanted to know what you guys think about my country? What's your opinion about the conflict? what do you even know about Israel and Palestine?

I resist to the Israeli occupation and I even refused to serve in the IDF. It's just not right. My country is oppressing the Palestinians and keep building settlements in there territory. Many people here are angry with me for my opinions but this is how I think and if they don't like it, screw them
    1. I believe your lack of patriotism qualifies you for American citizenship.

2. In an area where people disappear frequently due to, "got shot in face with rocket", you might want to tone down your stance on pissing people off. Again, however, doing so gives me further reason to believe you may already be an American- know it, or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I can't cast an opinion without stuffing its crust with a log of religion is a detriment to mankind.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    MysticRiffs's Avatar Super Ninja Smurf
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Squirrel View Post
    Hello!

I resist to the Israeli occupation and I even refused to serve in the IDF. It's just not right. My country is oppressing the Palestinians and keep building settlements in there territory.
    Many people here are angry with me for my opinions but this is how I think and if they don't like it, screw them
    First and foremost, I'm in Australia, so I probably know as much about your situation as you know about mine.

Seeing as you've opened up the topic, I'm going to assume this is a thread for serious, but honest discourse. Caveats out of the way, let me ramble on until my two cents worth is up.

First, the creation of Israel, and the French and the English pulling apart the Ottoman Empire to create the modern states is the primary reason behind the conflicts, as far as I see it. The Ottomans were able to unite the Muslim world in that region, and even stave off the fundamentalist Shiites until the end, when they first took back what is now Egypt. I think if the Ottomans could have handled what is now (in hindsight) a natural global progression towards nationalism, they would still be in power to this day, and none of the conflict would exist. Let me also say, that Russia impelling the Ottoman Northern peoples to cede didn't help the destruction of stability in the region and, either.

What I am finding interesting is the current event in Turkey, now that it's back to being Muslim. I think that if the entire region has any chance of stabilising and pulling together with any type of cohesion to the benefit of all citizens, it's going to come from Turkey, with the full backing of the United Nations. Only in this way will there be a "strength of voice" (my term, but I can't find another to replace it, hopefully it's clear, but let me know) to help everyone rally around a focal point.

I think one of the single largest concerns for Israel, at the moment is one of obfuscation. Everyone thinks the problem is a religious one, but go back in history and all these groups have been able to live harmoniously for centuries. The problem has nothing to do with religion, it has everything to do with resources and freedom of expression and perceived threats from neighbouring interest groups.

Lastly, as mentioned already, that entire region has had stability and incredible growth in centuries past. It has been called the cradle of civilisation for a very good reason, and the flow of information for science was unparalleled for a longer tine than it hasn't been. If history has taught us anything, it's that people are able to coordinate themselves, so, bluntly, the key to success is for the West to fuck off politely and let you guys sort your own shit out, as you've proved time and time again that you're much better at it than Europe ever was. We only became "peaceful" with Mutually Assured Destruction, so we should be looking at the East for tips, not trying to lead the charge for the rest of the world. You don't get marriage advice from someone who's been divorced 3 times.

Like I said, I'm an uneducated Aussie, though, so take my words with a grain of salt. No insult has been intended, and I apologise if my words have given any. I've answered as honestly as best I can, and hopefully, with some semblance of intelligence.

To name a thing, is to pay it respect.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Someone should find mystic a more fulfilling topic of discourse, because really, does there still exist a collectively significant sympathy for the woes of Jews, Muslims, and Christians?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    MysticRiffs's Avatar Super Ninja Smurf
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Someone should find mystic a more fulfilling topic of discourse, because really, does there still exist a collectively significant sympathy for the woes of Jews, Muslims, and Christians?
    Yes.

To name a thing, is to pay it respect.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Everyone is different, and it is our differences that make us targets of each other. If we were all the same, we would have to find other reasons to attack each other instead.

While the majority of us can live peacefully together, there are a small minority of people who have to cause a stir. These minority, who usually end up in power, have to cause conflict where none exist. If it isn't hunting Jews, or Muslims, or Christians, it is hunting Blacks, or Whites, or other colours and races. Why should I have to slaughter my neighbour just because some chinless wonder upon high dictates that I have to?

If you took a baby of every race, colour and creed, then brought them all up in a creche to adulthood, they would be the greatest of friends, yet our powerful leaders dictate that we much hate each other. Wars are never for the poor, only the rich, who want to extend their hold on global territories. Whole empires were built for the few megalomaniacs who desired even more. No more so than the British Empire, which at one point had over two thirds of the world in its grasp.

People are more than capable of living together, and can tolerate their individual differences, yet it is the power and persuasion of the charismatic leaders which drives us to slaughter each other, for no other purpose than their grand designs.

Millions die so that a few can revel in the glory of a wonderful war.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    Everyone is different, and it is our differences that make us targets of each other. If we were all the same, we would have to find other reasons to attack each other instead.

While the majority of us can live peacefully together, there are a small minority of people who have to cause a stir. These minority, who usually end up in power, have to cause conflict where none exist. If it isn't hunting Jews, or Muslims, or Christians, it is hunting Blacks, or Whites, or other colours and races. Why should I have to slaughter my neighbour just because some chinless wonder upon high dictates that I have to?

If you took a baby of every race, colour and creed, then brought them all up in a creche to adulthood, they would be the greatest of friends, yet our powerful leaders dictate that we much hate each other. Wars are never for the poor, only the rich, who want to extend their hold on global territories. Whole empires were built for the few megalomaniacs who desired even more. No more so than the British Empire, which at one point had over two thirds of the world in its grasp.

People are more than capable of living together, and can tolerate their individual differences, yet it is the power and persuasion of the charismatic leaders which drives us to slaughter each other, for no other purpose than their grand designs.

Millions die so that a few can revel in the glory of a wonderful war.
    Good points, hippie.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    If you took a baby of every race, colour and creed, then brought them all up in a creche to adulthood, they would be the greatest of friends....
    Explain High school then,pseudo-intellectual.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 12-22-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast