Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is FTN coming back?

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Meh. I mean I guess on some scale it could be "safer" than a larger site. At the same time though, I have never gotten a letter from years of downloading at the "bigger" sites either.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Meh. I mean I guess on some scale it could be "safer" than a larger site. At the same time though, I have never gotten a letter from years of downloading at the "bigger" sites either.

Between 2003 & 2005 I uploaded about 1.5 TB of movies & programs on Demonoid & never got any letters or anything else, & that was about 99% from my home connection. (My own rips, & on a DSL connection )
    Not using Peerguardian or any of that other crap, either.
    Last edited by teflon05; 01-22-2014 at 01:45 AM.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    Between 2003 & 2005 I uploaded about 1.5 TB of movies & programs on Demonoid & never got any letters or anything else, & that was about 99% from my home connection. (My own rips, & on a DSL connection )
    Note the years involved. There was not nearly the kind of corporate lawsuit-hunting going on back then. I would not expect anything to come of past uploads.

Not every movie/song/software/book has someone trolling for lawsuits and sending threatening letters. Largely, the ones to look out for are big-budget blockbusters that failed. Granted, some studios have begun patrolling larger portions of their catalogs for takedowns, but this is not quite the same concern one would have for being drug into court and/or extorted from.

If your IP is not shared with some corporate lawyer's trolling system, there is nothing to worry about. Some files are FAR bigger targets than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Not every movie/song/software/book has someone trolling for lawsuits and sending threatening letters. Largely, the ones to look out for are big-budget blockbusters that failed. Granted, some studios have begun patrolling larger portions of their catalogs for takedowns, but this is not quite the same concern one would have for being drug into court and/or extorted from.
    MBM brings up a good point. I recall lawyers were trolling Hurt Locker torrents due to it's success with the critics that wasn't as well reflected in sales.

In addition try not to download pre release screeners or CAM rips of movies, or in general anything that hasn't been released for public consumption. I believe there were confirmed reports a while back of letters being sent out for a pre release screener of Wolverine that was on IPT.

That being said I still think this is greatly erring on the side of caution and even with downloading those advanced screeners you're still very unlikely to be caught. If you want to be extra cautious though, it's an easy step to take that'll greatly reduce your chances of being caught.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    I have reduced the amount my client shares all files to 125% of the amount downloaded. The warning letters I received in the past all indicated the amounts I had uploaded as well as seed times. Not only does reducing these amounts strengthen one's argument in court (if it ever got to that point), it also reduces one's chances of getting a "winning" lotto ticket. Keep your head down, and do not be the biggest fish.

I am doing this as a pre-step to paying for a service to hide my IP (which could either be a seedbox or VPN).
    Last edited by megabyteme; 01-22-2014 at 02:55 AM.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by robogo25 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000possibleclaws View Post
    Well this sucks, I use FTN for 90% of my tv shows and movies. I actually lost all my tv trackers to activity, and the few 0day sites I have left are either seemingly impossible to search on (SCC) or just really small and probably lacking mainstream content. I hope FTN admins don't give up even if this attack lasts awhile longer...
    is TsH
    http://torrentshack.net/ this?

I'm afraid I'm too old of a user to know what this site is.. But Rart reminded me I do have an IPT account so I don't have to create a new account to download my videos

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Well this sucks, I use FTN for 90% of my tv shows and movies. I actually lost all my tv trackers to activity, and the few 0day sites I have left are either seemingly impossible to search on (SCC) or just really small and probably lacking mainstream content. I hope FTN admins don't give up even if this attack lasts awhile longer...
    lol i'm in the same boat. gotta find an alternative ratio free tracker. downloading so much from kickass.to feels dirty.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by robogo25 View Post

is TsH
    http://torrentshack.net/ this?
    yes TsH = TorrentShack.net

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Gft is open for signup if any body looking for replacement of ftn then its good time to join gft.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Signup URL available? Nothing on the main page...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast