Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Shows worth Watching

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    The Red Band Society.Recorded it on a whim.Thought I'd hate it but ended up really liking it as it did a good job of turning characters who are basically cliches into people you care about.

As it basically tanked in the rating and with very little room for interesting stories to tell,probably not long for this world though.Oh well,better to burn out than to fade away or something.
    I watched it based on your rec. I think it has potential. We only learned a little about each character, which struck me as more of a pilot than a first ep. People may warm to it. Seems Spielberg is the producer, and it is an Amblin product. Should get its first season based on that. I think there's room for story expansion in revealing the characters' back stories, as well as seeing how their relationships develop. Complications with health arise.

Interesting you like this, but have commented on the teenage girl (Rart, basically) audience of Arrow. This one seems more targeted at hormonal teen girls (look at the number of healthy-looking males to hot teen girl ratio*).

*I never looked that good in my prime, and I never had cancer, anorexia, enlarged heart, coma, amputation, or cystic fibrosis.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Movies & TV   -   #102
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I liked the "whistling past the graveyard" vibe.As for your suggestions, the minute the show turns maudlin or worse,romantic,I'll be dropping it faster than OlgeL drops good sense.
    Also for the love of all things holy,please no use of the current fad of flashbacks. That's simply lazy and pandering.

About Arrow.Everything I dislike about the CW distilled into one show.Overcomplicated.Relationshipy.Doesn't have a story to tell beyond staying on the air.
    Not for nothing but the only superhero who by nature necessitates angsty hand wringing is Spider-Man. Even Superman's romance with Lois Lane is extremely secondary to the action.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #103
    I suspect we are due some flashbacks. Pretty powerful stuff seeing cancer-amp boy running on a soccer field with a full head of flowing-in-the-breeze hair. He's lost much. We'll get to find out why Grumpygirl2000 is so mean to everyone, why anorexia girl won't eat (parents, I'm betting parents), what daddy guitar player did/didn't do to psychic coma boy- I'm interested. But you are right, the flashback device has gotten stale as bread from the time of the flashback actually occurred.

We will probably also be introduced to other characters as the 6+ story pristine mega-complex hospital probably has more than 5 rooms and an elevator.

Good point on the relationship thing. Most superheroes are either loners, or have working relationships with other superfolks. However, they are somewhat necessary, on at least a single-serving level to show how evildoers are affecting others.

You and I seem to remain at an impasse regarding watching stuff for basic time-killing.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #104
    In a fit of madness,I watched three new shows - Gotham,Scorpion and Forever.Obviously too soon to pass judgment but my impressions.......

Gotham:Clearly going to pale next to any big screen Marvel adaption and does.The things that I noticed/bothered me the most was the constant use of the shitty CGI cityscape(didn't evoke anything) and in direct contrast to the movies,truly terrible music.
    Some of the characters are OK but clearly not what someone wanting a superhero show are looking for. Sadly more The Cape (remember than one?)than the Caped Crusader.5/10

Scorpion: Sort of a semi-pleasant surprise.Dumb,sure but brings a certain level of humanity and excitement that almost makes you forgive it it's obvious faults.
    Could certainly do with a lot less(ie zero) of the kid though but I guess they needed something to bring the waitress into the show. 7/10

Forever: Total "concept show" stealing equally cynically from Highlander and Elementary but I guess producers have to do something to make money for drugs. Kind of hated it until near the end when the denouement about Judd Hirsch's character bought it a bit of redemption.
    Not terrible but like Gotham,really,really tired.4/10

Ironically given the hype of the three the first I would bail on is Gotham as except for Alfred I can't see anything new or interesting happening here.

I like to hear how other people felt even though this being FST I know I won't.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 09-23-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Rart is a cunt

5. Movies & TV   -   #105
    Noticed the number of downloads for both Gotham and Scorpion. It was late last night, and ended up with a sick dog who managed to puke in the house not more than 3 minutes after I had let her out. At least she avoided the conveniently placed linoleum, and opted for the carpet.

That said, sounds like I was destined for dog vomit in one way or another. Thought the premise of Scorpion sounded decent- that is, creating a vehicle to showcase McPhee's rack. While Gotham seemed like it might be coolish, but ultimately will be difficult to pull off as it's a Batman show without the titular character.

Thought I'd wait. Currently working through Drunk History (better than I expected), eyeing Vikings with strong curiosity, and tempted to watch Band of Brothers (which I have never seen) due to its extremely high ratings and fan base.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 09-23-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Cart is a runt

6. Movies & TV   -   #106
    Band of Brothers is excellent but loses a lot of impetus the last few episodes as the war comes to an end.
    It's also pretty hard to keep track of the secondary characters.I've watched it end to end at least three times and only now am going "yeah that's so and so getting this leg blown off".

I watched the first season of Vikings more or less and didn't really like it but I think it's evolved a lot since then (probably) so for all I know it might be great.

The followup to BoB,The Pacific is pretty terrible though.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Noticed the number of downloads for both Gotham and Scorpion.
    Yeah but then The Big Bang Theory is the most popular show on TV.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 09-23-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Movies & TV   -   #107
    You had me at "I've seen it 3 times", the blown off limbs are just icing.

8. Movies & TV   -   #108
    Band of Brothers tries hard but it lacks in Vin Diesel killing so I still have to give the nod to Saving Private Ryan.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 09-23-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: I is stoopid

9. Movies & TV   -   #109
    Red Band has its second episode last night. Kept my attention. Seems doctors can give out confidential patient info to anyone you've shared a beer on a rooftop with.

Decided I find the perky nurse to be the one I'd like to disappoint secksually first. Then I'd probably go for the thin one because how could a guy not feel MASSIVE in an anorexic?

Will keep watching.

10. Movies & TV   -   #110
    Already tailing away from The Breakfast Club and veering uncomfortably into Grey's Anatomy territory so let us speak no more of it except to rank the womens.

Yeah probably the innocent nurse because corruption of innocence is always a turn-on. Then the cheerleader because I get a definite Amber Heard vibe from her.The anorexic is too indie for me plus the fact she's only 17 in real life* you MASSIVE perv.

*Not relevant to when Emma Watson was doable at 17 because the British age differently probably due to all the inbreeding.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast