Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An open discussion on the "lifetime ban" and "pre-banning" policies

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

When it comes down to the time in the future when you realize that you agree with almost everything I have ever said, ever, how exactly would your suicide proceed?
    I suppose if I agree to everything you say,I would probably want to ask you what you think and then just do that and save myself the bother of trying to come up with something myself.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

When it comes down to the time in the future when you realize that you agree with almost everything I have ever said, ever, how exactly would your suicide proceed?
    I suppose if I agree to everything you say,I would probably want to ask you what you think and then just do that and save myself the bother of trying to come up with something myself.
    I recommend the blaze of glory scenario, for why do it yourself when you can coerce an entire police force into doing it for you?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000possibleclaws View Post
    If it's been 5 years you probably have a new motherboard and a new IP address. I don't understand why you pride yourself in some bullshit online honesty, you should have just started with a clear slate and a new identity.

For a staffer to make an exception for you, would be opening the door to possible future headaches by not following a pretty clear and standard rule. There is nothing for the site to gain by giving you the benefit of the doubt.
    I could very easily do that which is exactly my point. These trackers are very adamant about only one account a lifetime and tie all these strict rules and consequences to them. But it is very common knowledge that you can easily just get around that. I'm not saying they should make an exception for me. I am saying they should rethink the consequences to breaking certain rules. Because if it is just a long term ban you get, then you can do your time and come back and play by the rules, contribute, be part of the community, whatever. If you are immediately and permanently banned, well then all bets are off, who gives a shit about the rules just get another account and identity. By having such strict consequences, it may deter people from breaking the rules, but if you are in that demographic I mentioned in the OP, someone that just made a mistake, is just learning, basically not someone that trying to be a "career cheater", well then that just kind of teaches you that it is easier and better to break the rules than to follow them. Essentially having such strict and permanent consequences to those rules will in some circumstances actually make the punishment less severe.

Or here is another way of putting it and this is just my point of view on how I think things usually work:
    User A is the kind of user that likes to just cheat and break the rules. He get caught and permanently banned. He gets another account and this cycle continues.
    User B just messed up because he is an idiot. He get caught and permanently banned. He's not likely to just walk away but find out that it's easier to just get another account and keep doing so like user A.

Now if the rules were changed:
    User A gets caught and banned for 3 months (or whatever). Does it again, gets banned six months (or whatever). Then gets permanently banned.
    User B get banned the first time. Maybe a second time even. But he gets his shit straight and learns how to play by the rules.

I do understand though from a staffer point of view, who cares really, that is just more work (headaches as you say) and it is just a torrent site that doesn't really matter so if you break the rules you're banned. I get it. I'm just saying, I think there is a better way of doing it.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Along time ago in a galaxy far away I was actually a staff member of a fairly well known torrent site, but more to the point I was a fairly low level staff member and got some of the really fun jobs. At one point there was an interview system set up and so I got to do the interviews, lucky me..... There really is only so much capacity for being lied to before you tend towards anger yourself, and about a third of the interviewee's were previously banned members another third were those trying to create dupe accounts, but almost every single one of them lied to me....

There are really only two choices, the private trackers have rules and remain private trackers or go fuck it let's just have a free for all and all become public trackers.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123