Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic home audio stuffs (mbm and co.)

shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    None of the reading I did online gave me a fix for the sub, but I think I've found one on my own. In the Yamaha speaker settings there is an option for "large" and "small" for the front speakers. Changing it to small seems to have switched some of the priority to the sub.
    Did you try a different composite sub wire connection?? I bought a fancier y cable and composite(rca) wire as well
    All of my amps also have a ground connection so i did that as well, plus the volume level of the sub could be too high and it is distorting??
    I am really not fond of Yamaha amps (highest refurbs usually), so i am not really familiar with there setups or there real channel distribution, but i always test sound levels with Pink Floyds the Wall album and put the Intro to the Wall song on and adjust accordingly, but my experience i have blown alot of center channels playing and testing with it to find the center channel i prefered

PS.. the large setting is for L&R front speakers that can handle bass load, and will take stress off your sub woofer, or if you are using better speakers and lousy sub that is a better setting, but if you are using a good sub reverse that, again my opinion with a sub being non directional sound, is better for boom affects in a room
    Good luck Skiz

Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Now that we've bought another house I was thinking of buying those Polk Monitor 70's. Should I keep any of this other stuff or sell it?
    2 x Polk 45B's
    1 x Polk PSW10 sub
    1 x Polk CS2 Series II center channel
    I would check out AVS forums and read between the lines on the information... There is usually some good feedback on all different equipment there..
    Or if you have some fancy stereo shops in your neighborhood (not best buys or big box stores), i would check them out just for shits and giggles
    And to be honest i think sound is what your ears like, there is so much equipment and stuff on the market today it is really what you think sounds good and go from there...Depending what you are looking for in a sound can vary what you buy or like, plus what size room you have and if you want to wake the neighbors at night..
    Again Good luck Skiz..
    PS. if you liked what you had before(nothing blown!!) you could always put it in a different room, and have another surround setup, sometimes selling stuff and getting shit for it, and then having to replace it again for another room is not always smart, especially with speakers you have found that you like the sound quality....
    Last edited by shaina; 01-16-2016 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I think you should be quite happy keeping what you've got, move the 45B's to the rear channels, and get those 70/75's. The center channel should be quite compatible soundwise to the new fronts.

The subwoofer would still be fine, its bass output would not be as necessary once the 70/75's were in your system.

Refresh my memory- what did you end up with for a receiver? How big is your new room? Were you using rear channel speakers before?

Personally, I would hang on to all of those speakers even if you decided to upgrade to an entirely new system (not necessary since you have good, matching speakers). I find it is nice to move smaller, good speakers to new 'projects'. Nothing lacking in them, TBH.

Depending on the size of room, your next step after the 70/75's could be a larger subwoofer- just for kickass WOW factor. Not necessary.

EDIT- just to clarify, the 70/75's will produce more bass in the low end than the 45's. You may not notice the sub you have as much. Still, you'd want to have a sub for low end rumble. Live with the one you've got for now with the 70/75's and see if you want more. Bigger rooms will need more bass.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 01-16-2016 at 05:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I think you should be quite happy keeping what you've got, move the 45B's to the rear channels, and get those 70/75's. The center channel should be quite compatible soundwise to the new fronts.
    The subwoofer would still be fine, its bass output would not be as necessary once the 70/75's were in your system.
    Refresh my memory- what did you end up with for a receiver? How big is your new room? Were you using rear channel speakers before?
    Personally, I would hang on to all of those speakers even if you decided to upgrade to an entirely new system (not necessary since you have good, matching speakers). I find it is nice to move smaller, good speakers to new 'projects'. Nothing lacking in them, TBH.
    Depending on the size of room, your next step after the 70/75's could be a larger subwoofer- just for kickass WOW factor. Not necessary.
    Is there an echo in this forum??

Would you agree that the center channel is the most important??

That is for Video purposes... A lot of my friends still prefer 2 channel for sound quality listening
    Explains why a good separate channel amp today is important

PS.. actually reading his posts if did see Yamaha mentioned in one of them
    Last edited by shaina; 01-16-2016 at 05:55 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    We kind of planned this transition. The center has the same size drivers (maybe even the same drivers) as what he's looking to add. You can't do much better than that. The center just needs to match the mains in tone and ability to output. That is what is important.

2-channel is great for listening to music mixed to be played on 2-channel speakers. With a good quality receiver (I prefer mid-level or better Onkyo), I see no real need for separates unless a guy really wants to spend his time and money in stereo shops.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    We kind of planned this transition. The center has the same size drivers (maybe even the same drivers) as what he's looking to add. You can't do much better than that. The center just needs to match the mains in tone and ability to output. That is what is important.
    2-channel is great for listening to music mixed to be played on 2-channel speakers. With a good quality receiver (I prefer mid-level or better Onkyo), I see no real need for separates unless a guy really wants to spend his time and money in stereo shops.
    I agree with everything you say!!
    And until you set up what you have in your new house(what i did), you may not need anything at all....
    That was almost a trick question , but i like to kill time every once and a while and see what is new out there in the more exclusive stereo shops, that's all..
    And i don't understand how they could have the same drivers?? Different models are they not??
    To me that would change the characteristics of the voice/sound, and depending on what levels you listen that would make a difference would it not??
    Hens center channel is the main speaker you should have to your liking when you talk audio/video watching(and i have blown a few on my listening level!!)
    But the humming or feedback from the sub woofer is still a question to answer ??
    PS. I am not talking multiple pre amps... I meant a better quality Audio/video amp with true channels and no bleeding(if that makes sense on paper) Yamaha would not be first on my list
    Last edited by shaina; 01-16-2016 at 06:19 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Those drivers could very well be the same. Polk has a very neutral sound, and this line is a massively sold, good-quality, very modest price product. In order to make that possible, they need to have good quality, matched drivers across the entire line. And sell a quintillion of them. They do.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I m using Polks as surrounds on sides and rears (7.2 setup) to match with my B&W 802 Matrix 3's and matching center (800-series Matrix HTM). They are neutral enough to pull this off. I have ZERO doubt his existing Polks will match his new ones.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 01-16-2016 at 06:33 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Those drivers could very well be the same. Polk has a very neutral sound, and this line is a massively sold, good-quality, very modest price product. In order to make that possible, they need to have good quality, matched drivers across the entire line. And sell a quintillion of them. They do.
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I m using Polks as surrounds on sides and rears (7.2 setup) to match with my B&W 802 Matrix 3's and matching center (800-series Matrix HTM). They are neutral enough to pull this off. I have ZERO doubt his existing Polks will match his new ones.
    Maybe i am misunderstanding what you are saying?? When you say matching?? are you saying they will preform well together??(running 2 subs are we!!)
    But what i am saying is if you go up models on speakers, no matter what manufacturer, there is going to be changes, be it lower level or higher level sound quality??
    Or what would be the purpose to change models?? Again with a better amp you will see the difference, especially if the amp can push/drive the speakers..
    Does that make sense??
    And it is funny i am running 7.1 in a few rooms in my house, and without Disney movies what else is there LOL!!!
    To me alot of times 5.1-2 is plenty to enjoy a movie, and 6.1(dumb to hear voice behind you!!) and 7.1 is overkill...
    Because i am a dinosaur still i have glanced at Atmos and some of the other new ways of broadcasting but i ask myself if my ears will really notice

PS. I should add i have used the beginning of the Blade movie to test speakers, I love the neighbors to listen to the rave song

And you are a perfect example... You have some vintage speakers in your setup (i would never get rid of those if i were you!!), it all is based on the sound you are looking for, like comparing old JBL's and new ones
    Last edited by shaina; 01-16-2016 at 06:58 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    I truly love my B&W's.

When I say 'matching', I mean that the Polks are quite suitable tonally to be used in my system. It took A LOT of listening, but I am pleased with the result- and they were reasonable considering I needed 4 for sides and rears.

The Polks that Skiz will be matching really are from the same line. No big stretch to believe they will pair nicely, if not perfectly.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    I truly love my B&W's.

When I say 'matching', I mean that the Polks are quite suitable tonally to be used in my system. It took A LOT of listening, but I am pleased with the result- and they were reasonable considering I needed 4 for sides and rears.

The Polks that Skiz will be matching really are from the same line. No big stretch to believe they will pair nicely, if not perfectly.
    Got it
    Last edited by shaina; 01-16-2016 at 02:16 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    What is the part of that, shay?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast