Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Basic home audio stuffs (mbm and co.)

shaina's Avatar Poster
    Good Tester

2. Software & Hardware   -   #102
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    K. Thats a lot to take in and respond to so I'll go briefly bit by bit.

The YPAO test appears to skip right past the sub, and then disable it. I've found it disabled in the on-screen menu. After enabling it I thought that was all I needed to do. But today I found that it was also turned the "level" way down as well. I've put that back to 1 db and that has helped tremendously in that I now have bass coming from there to help round things out.

If I disconnect the sub altogether I can't set the speakers to large, only to small. If I connect or enable the sub again I can toggle back and forth between large and small again.

I have tested several sounds types. Television, Netflix movies (5.1), Vevo music videos (5.1), analog audio via iPhone (3.5mm)...

The brackets/shunts are still there and being used. Everything snugged down well.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #103
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I suspect that you are not getting the full-range out of those 75's still. It is, of course, best to have them designated as 'large', but if you are still disappointed in their bass output, at least see how they do with the sub disconnected. With that many moderate sized drivers, there really has to be decent bass response- also, that is why the case is so large, massive movement of air (assuming proper amplification, those drivers work together to create a larger one).

Something in the stereo system (this could be the receiver itself, a setting which cuts off bass from the fronts to have that sent to the sub, the subwoofer crossover cutting out the lower frequencies- if the fronts are wired in after it in the chain, biwiring- which you have ruled out) is taking those low end frequencies from your 75's.

Part of the 5.1 system is to send all the bass to the subwoofer (that is the .1 designation). It should also be possible to get the 75's to run full range AND have bass coming from the sub. If you are unhappy with the bass, this is what we should shoot for. This is what I'd favor because otherwise, you are not getting everything out of those 75's you can.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 02-11-2016 at 03:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #104
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Meg is right Skiz......

Do some reading here....

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=179508

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...nvironment.htm

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-...-receiver.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...nd-my-sub.html

The YPAO test makes wrong settings.... Manual settings are needed to get better quality sound

Also if your speaker wires are coded for + and - connections(a line or something to distinguish between them) to the amp that will help as well (follow the wires from speaker to amp)...

And make sure the toggle switch on the sub is on and read more on that high low switch as well

And by the sounds of it you are running HDMI cable from TV to Amp (run that into a video in not out )
    now the TV settings have to be set to recognize the amp only if that makes sense Skiz

And No Cable/Sat box or media box ?? That will change the TV HDMI to Out......
    And if there is Optical or Coax connections on those, sometimes separating the HDMI for Video only, may clean up the sound quality as well

Sorry but more trial and error Skiz

EDIT!!PS. Skiz.... Sometimes a good place to look for tips is AVS forums, kind of like Reddit for audio video stuff
    Last edited by shaina; 02-11-2016 at 10:40 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #105
    Basically an MBM is kind of a crutch between a decent sub and mains that are a bit lacking.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #106
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Fuckloads of tinkering. Seems like things are working now. I've said fuck the auto-on feature on the sub and I just leave it on all the time now. Not sure exactly what the problems were or even what I did to fix them, but all the fiddling I've over the past few weeks has seems to slowly get it all in line. Watched Straight Outta Compton last night and was pretty much like this the entire time.

All the outlets in the basement are for some reason set at mid-wall, 4 feet high. Thus the plugs that needed to go in were going to cause problems for the TV to lay flat. Put one of these monstrosities in the wall. Had to cut a fucking 8.5" x 5.5" hole in the wall. After some modifications to it for the surge protector and HDMI to fit through, all worked well. Put in an oversized version of this down low to feed everything up from.

Center channel plugged in but with the gf in bed I haven't tested yet.

Final product:

TV:
    VIZIO 65" M65-C1, 4K Smart TV

Receiver:
    Yamaha RX-V375

Speakers:
    Polk Monitor 75T tower x 2
    Polk PSW10 sub
    Polk Center channel CS2 Series II
    (Polk 45B x 2...not yet connected)

Media:
    Zotac ZBox HD-ND22-U
    Roku 3

Got the tv stand from IKEA. It's designed to have 3 slots/3 drawers, but I left out the middle drawer to make room for the receiver and took the shelf that would have gone above the drawer, and glued it in the bottom for the receiver to sit on.

Messy pic:

Spoiler: Show

Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by Skiz; 02-26-2016 at 06:47 AM.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #107
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Looks Great Skiz (Nice TV pistol Pete!!!!)

I am glad everything worked out finally

Hope you had fun in Ikea(nice stand)

PS. you could move the sub over a bit or away from the left tower speaker(where you have the short stack of boxes), and Put in the first Blade movie and see how that sounds

Enjoy and congrats on the house as well

Regards
    Shay
    Last edited by shaina; 02-27-2016 at 05:46 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011