Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic home audio stuffs (mbm and co.)

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    That Polk sub will be $79 for the next couple days on Newegg. Will fill out the bottom end of the 45s nicely.
    I did buy that actually, but I bought it on Amazon for $2 more with Prime 2-day shipping included. Newegg wanted $68 for 2-day shipping. It's hardly any wonder I don't shop there much anymore unless I really need to.

As for connecting it, am I right in that the "Subwoofer Pre-out" should connect to the sub with just the red portion of the RCA cable?
    Last edited by Skiz; 02-16-2014 at 10:49 PM.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Very cool. As long as you don't have it overpowered, I think it has a nicer sound than any sub I've heard under $300. It isn't meant to "punch" like a car sub, but meant to strengthen the lower end, and do what smaller speakers cannot- even adds more than a lot of larger speakers because of its dedicated amplification. At $81 (Amazon is my go-to store, but I did not think to look there this time :doh: ), you made a good buy.

Let me know when the Newegg items arrive. I'm interested to see what you think of it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Took me a bout an hour to set everything up and hang the TV. Sounds great.

I would have preferred the left and right speakers be on the floor but I'm a little worried the g/f's 2 cats may see them as scratching posts.

Spoiler: Show
    Last edited by Skiz; 02-19-2014 at 12:45 AM.

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Nicely done.

As for the speaker placement, unless you purchased some stands for them, they will sound quite a bit better off the floor. you might even notice some benefit if you were to tip them (with spikes, or something) so that the tweeters were aimed more directly towards the primary listening position. As they are, looks great.

Judging from the pic, those M70s would have been quite large in there.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 02-19-2014 at 02:04 AM.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Thanks.

The M70's were only about 2" taller than my previous speakers, but they were about twice the depth.

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Any ideas on how to get the tv to play through the speakers when wanted? I don't have cable tv since I have access to everything already, so no cable box; just an HD antenna. I have one HDMI running from the receiver OUT to the tv which feeds video from the PC and BluRay, so I though if I added another FROM the tv INTO the receiver, that might work. Nope.

Also, not real happy with the sub. The sound is fine but the "Auto" setting on the back doesn't appear to function properly. It's supposed to kick the sub on when it detects something is playing, and turn it off after 15 of nothing playing. It doesn't appear to kick on when it's supposed to tho. I don't like leaving it on either as there's clearly audible hum that comes from it.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    I am on my way to a meeting, so I do not have time to give a complete answer. I suspect the sound coming from the sub is a "ground loop hum" which can be a HUGE pain to eliminate. My subs are quite silent, so I doubt it is anything inherent to the product itself.

Adjusting the gain may help the sub kick on, as it is "looking" for a substantial enough signal before turning on.

The television OUT can be a function of your internal menu. What model is it exactly. I'll look at the manual when I get back.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    None of the reading I did online gave me a fix for the sub, but I think I've found one on my own. In the Yamaha speaker settings there is an option for "large" and "small" for the front speakers. Changing it to small seems to have switched some of the priority to the sub.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Are you still getting that hum/buzz/whatever from the sub? Sometimes this can be fixed by plugging the sub into an outlet not on the same circuit (breaker) as the rest of the system. Other fixes can get quite elaborate. There are threads-a-plenty where knowledgeable people try to track down and eliminate the problem. The more equipment you have, the more likely it is you will get a ground loop hum.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Now that we've bought another house I was thinking of buying those Polk Monitor 70's. Should I keep any of this other stuff or sell it?

2 x Polk 45B's
    1 x Polk PSW10 sub
    1 x Polk CS2 Series II center channel

yo

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast