Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic home audio stuffs (mbm and co.)

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I guess I even missed the part about going to 2-channel. You'll have a nice working set of Polks, if you change your mind...

What is your new room like?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

I hadn't really considered that but it sounds like a good idea. I think I'll hold off then on buying some of that until I'm ready to do it all at once. I'm looking to swap out the 46" tv that I have right now with a new 60" and buy the Monitor 70's at the same time. (new monitor has set me back quite a bit )

Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V375 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B981F38)

The new living room area is a rectangular basement room right at 30' x 12' and we'll be watching the tv from about 9-10 ft away across the short side.

No rear channel before. It was solely running on the speakers I mentioned before: 2 fronts, center, sub.
    ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I guess I even missed the part about going to 2-channel. You'll have a nice working set of Polks, if you change your mind...

What is your new room like?
    It might have been a bit ambiguous but going back to 2 speakers was what I meant in this post.
    Last edited by Skiz; 01-18-2016 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    30' X 12' is a substantial room. Would work nicely as a theater, but if cables are a deciding factor, I'd still keep your sub and center channel for movies. Those 45's would be suitable in any room that you want nice sound in. Some receivers are even setup to switch to another room (for parties, while reading a book, cleaning, whatever). Cables can be hidden fairly well along carpet/trim.

Of course, this is all your personal choice. I would keep those 45's simply because you'll have a really nice set. Might even decide to sell everything at some point. Matched sets are a plus for that- most people do want home theaters.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Skiz is actually quite smart with his purchases. Never seen him just waste money- even the speakers he was/is considering selling he'd get half his money back out.
    I say just move those former fronts to the rears, add the 70/75's and enjoy. Nothing wasted; nice system built.
    I don't resell things i buy , so when you say someone will give him half his money back for speakers, i wish him all the best.
    And it was never a question on intelligence of buying something?? More of a common sense thing that when you buy a surround amplifier on the assumption you want surround, your initial purchase would start with 2 fronts, center channel , and 2 rears, the sub is a bonus.. To me that makes sense???
    I myself move stuff around in my house because i am happy with my purchases
    Example... If i choose to buy a new amp for my family room(usually has the best i purchase there) , the one i have in there, i replace it in another room..
    Why you ask??
    Because if i do sell something(The prices you say you can get, ain't happening here!!!and to have people calling and busting my chops, just not worth it), i can use the equipment to up-scale somewhere else in the house, and that works for electronics, as for speakers ?? That can't happen, Your talk is based on building a home theater rooms... That is not what i do, I take the room that i actually use every day and design that to have optimal sound, again big difference!!!
    So as i said Tower speakers will not work in my bedroom, but if i want to use them in another room great if not basement bound they go for if i spend thousands of dollars on speakers and someone offers me pennies?? I will let them rot before i sell them (especially if they are mint still)..

As for your advice to Skiz...I don't see a problem with your advice , he didn't purchase a surround setup in the first place. So there is no waste ...

PS. Good luck on explaining wires and cables

Regards
    Shay

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    So I think I've tentatively decided on the basics of what I'll do. At some point here in the coming months I'll get the 60" TV and Monitor 70's. I'll connect everything but the rears. I'll see how it all sounds and stick with that for a bit. Speakers will look weird on the basement ceiling seeing as they're under 7 ft high. I'd prob need to find some stands.

New monitor just arrived. Gotta go play w that.

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post

But it still makes no sense why you didn't at least buy reasonable bookshelf speakers for the rear?? The comment i said before, you may want all new stuff for the man cave, and you could have used the equipment you have now in a different room...
    And a size of a room means nothing when it comes to surround sound, you build the sound for the room regardless what room it is...
    And if you say you are not that interested ?? Why ask??
    You don't listen very well do you?

Yes, I suppose that if I really wanted to I could have put in rear speakers. I could have run some wiring up a 15 ft wall to the top of a vaulted ceiling, across the living room, and split to two speakers. I could have put in bug ugly brackets to hang rear speakers from that would have been suspended in a really odd place and looked stupid as fk all for some rear sound effects for the half dozen movies I watched in that room over 3 years. It was a small, temporary rental place and we had no place for side tables or stands. Trust me, there was no place for them without it looking awful. Plus, the missus would have had none of that shit on the ceiling.
    And I didn't ask. I said I was considering getting the Monitor 70's and selling the rest to get back to a 2.0 system.
    Out of all of your post, where did you mention you want to go back to a single channel system???

You don't explain very well is the better answer...
    Getting that out of the way ....
    Your purchase was a surround sound amp and 2 front speakers , a center, and sub-woofer!!
    Did you buy it at Costco or a Grocery store??
    I assume you went into a stereo store and talked to a salesman and he asked you about the room you were putting the half surround system in right??
    My point was if you read my post, you could have purchased rear satellite speakers (wireless!!!!) and stands to complete the proper setup...
    And by Megs explanation you are crafty or have connections to sell middle line equipment and get good money back or even better you could have put 2 screws in the wall behind you and hung up 2 satellite speakers as well, or you could buy a wireless modulator to run the rears of your choice.....Simple and Done!!!

If you went even to a Bestbuy to purchase, Even the young dummies that work there know that....

So before you say i Don't listen ??? Say you were thinking of going back to a single channel system!!!

Enjoy your new home Skiz
    And do what the fuck you want!!!
    Last edited by shaina; 01-19-2016 at 12:05 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    Geesh, Shay. Not sure what has set you off. Skiz was simply asking me to revisit his stereo system since he's moved into his new house. The advice I gave was quite simple. How about we start a new audio thread and we can talk about non-Skiz stereo there. I'll discuss any aspect you'd like.

Very little of what you've said has any interest to Skiz...

I'd like to learn more about that new surround sound you kids are listening to these days. Back in my day, we had Prologic, and we were grateful...

@Skiz, do you know where your couch, furniture, and television are going to be setup (they might already be)? Pics would help me get an idea of what might work best for a future surround system, if you want to send those to me privately.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    I'd like to learn more about that new surround sound you kids are listening to these days. Back in my day, we had Prologic, and we were grateful.
    Now you are gonna become an interior designer/decorator

Is it an American thing to call Basements, Living Rooms?? I heard of Rec/Recreation rooms in basements?? I thought Living Rooms are on the main floor to have conversations with friends?(to me a useless fucking room with no TV in it), Is the laundry room where you tinkle??

He can't even use the pro logic setting properly on his setup anyways
    And what is 2.0?? Two speaker setup is Mono in the prehistoric days(or single channel mock stereo) , is the new 2.0 new sound technology or something??

There is nothing to talk about anymore I am all surround sound out!!!! Lets talk Atmos

And as i remember i am a little older than you ...

Good luck Martha Stewart
    Last edited by shaina; 01-19-2016 at 05:21 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #59
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Interesting living/family room setup Welcome to the Atmos World
    But the decorating needs the Martha Stewart touch
    And i wonder when you turn the volume up, does it make your nipples hard

Attachment 165277

I think these are just your basic speakers

Attachment 165278
    Last edited by shaina; 01-19-2016 at 04:05 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #60
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

@Skiz, do you know where your couch, furniture, and television are going to be setup (they might already be)? Pics would help me get an idea of what might work best for a future surround system, if you want to send those to me privately.
    Basement pics here - http://imgur.com/a/Avh9J

Just finished painting and still getting things moved around, but this is the basic layout of the couches and TV area. That's a 46" in the current pic. The new TV will be a 60" and mounted on the wall. I'm thinking the Polk M70's can slide right in on the left and right sides. The center channel can sit on the middle of the stand/entertainment center thing, and eventually maybe the rears can go on stands? I'm having a tough time picturing the rear speakers looking good tho so not sure yet if I really want that.

Keep in mind that the ceilings are only about 7 feet high down there at the very most. I'll measure tomorrow when I get a sec, but just thinking out loud, the 45B's are 16" tall. If they were ceiling mounted, they wouldn't even leave enough space to walk under them and would generally just block your vision of the full room when you went downstairs. If I decide to use them, I'm thinking really short stands would be the way to go? Thoughts? It may not be optimal but whatev. What do you think about....2 ft tall stands near the couch...24" + 16" puts the top of it at 40", so a bit higher than the back of the couch.

yo

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast